E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MEVD17 transmission capabilities

09-23-2019, 02:07 AM   #1
Beygan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sporter

MEVD17 transmission capabilities

I'm looking into the prospects of potentially manipulating the N55 platform with respects to proprietary components, such as MEVD17 and all components related.

What's the difficulty in transplanting a dual clutch transmission on an N55 with MEV17, when the equipped was the ZF 6HP automatic transmission?

Has anyone done it?

Does anybody have knowledge about N55's with MEVD17 and DCT to chime in?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #2
An20Olives
Senior VP of spite
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 11 335xi, 17 X3 M40i,

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2017 X3 M40i  [0.00]
The E90 generation did come with a DCT at a point in time, the 335is models had them as well but they were specifically N54. The 135 generation with the N55 did come with a DCT transmission so pulling one from that would probably be the place to start as one would have the most luck getting everything to play nicely together.

May I ask why the need for the DCT? If you have a ZF a tune with XHP would yield customization and almost as quick as DCT shifting.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beygan View Post
I'm looking into the prospects of potentially manipulating the N55 platform with respects to proprietary components, such as MEVD17 and all components related.

What's the difficulty in transplanting a dual clutch transmission on an N55 with MEV17, when the equipped was the ZF 6HP automatic transmission?

Has anyone done it?

Based on a forum member who sold his '11 335ixDrive for a '12? 335is RWD FBO coupe, I would avoid your desire to incur an automotive migraine.
Even with "launch control", he easily spins his rear tires at the track. Obviously, from a roll you will have the advantage. Although he loves his new car, he misses the AWD.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
AJL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:

Has anyone done it?

It's not too difficult. The process is in fact more straight forward than on N54 models. I completed mine a few months ago.

Parts Needed:
- DCT
- Flywheel
- Driveshaft (potentially)
- Differential
- Engine bay wiring harness (can get from an N55 135is)
- Shifter

A little bit of wiring work to do on the inside for the shifter
A tiny bit of coding to change the VO
Flash the DME with a DCT tune
Reset DME adaptations

Check over on spool street in the Getrag GS7D forum, there is a pinned thread with all the info you should need.
      09-27-2019, 12:08 AM   #5
Beygan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by An20Olives View Post
The E90 generation did come with a DCT at a point in time, the 335is models had them as well but they were specifically N54. The 135 generation with the N55 did come with a DCT transmission so pulling one from that would probably be the place to start as one would have the most luck getting everything to play nicely together.

May I ask why the need for the DCT? If you have a ZF a tune with XHP would yield customization and almost as quick as DCT shifting.
True, true.

The DCT seems to yield benefits over the traditional. Hence my curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post
Quote:

Has anyone done it?

Based on a forum member who sold his '11 335ixDrive for a '12? 335is RWD FBO coupe, I would avoid your desire to incur an automotive migraine.
Even with "launch control", he easily spins his rear tires at the track. Obviously, from a roll you will have the advantage. Although he loves his new car, he misses the AWD.
Yes indeed it could be a total headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Quote:

Has anyone done it?

It's not too difficult. The process is in fact more straight forward than on N54 models. I completed mine a few months ago.

Parts Needed:
- DCT
- Flywheel
- Driveshaft (potentially)
- Differential
- Engine bay wiring harness (can get from an N55 135is)
- Shifter

A little bit of wiring work to do on the inside for the shifter
A tiny bit of coding to change the VO
Flash the DME with a DCT tune
Reset DME adaptations

Check over on spool street in the Getrag GS7D forum, there is a pinned thread with all the info you should need.
That's awesome. Thanks for reinforcing the idea of a potential success. Will definitely take a walk and pass their domain.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
Beygan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post
Quote:

Has anyone done it?

Yes indeed it could be a total headache.
Appreciate 0