E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > S 0757 Check the fault memory for permanent SAE fault codes!

09-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #1
owdi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
S 0757 Check the fault memory for permanent SAE fault codes!

I'm trying "heal" a "permanent SAE fault code" but every time I try to read the codes I get an error. Car is a 2010 E90 RWD manual.

Evaluation of permanent SAE fault codes is running.
Step 2 of 12
Please wait!
Error in testmodule: ABL_DIT_AS1236_SAE_PERM_ANZ

Background: I used ISTA+ to Read Out Vehicle Data, Complete Identification, then Display Fault Memory. That all worked, and it displayed two Existent faults and 11 old faults.

The two faults are:
00C51F CIC: GPS receiver: faulty

I click Calculate Test Plan, then double click ABL Displaying permanent SAE fault codes.

A window opens that says Display ABL-DIT-AS1236_SAE_PERM_ANZ - Displaying permanent SAE fault codes - V.18

I choose Yes to continue service function, then get the error.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Do I have a bad install of BMW tools?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Uploaded a screenshot of the error and codes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Regarding the GPS fault, I wonder if the GPS module has an old SiRFstarIII GPS chip(like the one I had in my third-party navigation) or similarly older GPS chip, as many were affected by the "GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) on 6 April 2019" - resulting in not not being able to get a stable connection with enough satellites to function properly. Once I replaced the GPS module with a more recent UBlox GPS module(for the equivalent of around $30~40USD?) my navigation works good as new.

I'll have to look up what "S 0757 ... permanent SAE fault codes" means, and update if I can.
* Update: On a different forum member CATAHA shared the following which is taken from ISTA documentation.

"Permanent SAE fault codes can be saved in emission-relevant control units. This occurs when a diagnostic function in the control unit has detected an emission-relevant fault and confirmed this fault. The fault must have been detected in two consecutive driving cycles.

Permanent SAE fault codes cannot be removed from the fault memory by deleting the fault memory. Instead, the diagnostic function must be run through in the control unit and the original emission-relevant fault must no longer be detected. This process is also referred to below as "healing permanent SAE fault codes" and is described in detail."

Check out the attached related content from BMW.

I hope this helps...

Last edited by tinkerman; 10-14-2023 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks for the tips!

My GPS seems to work fine, although I rarely use it, and just use my phone.

The permanent SAE code is the troubling one. I'm in WA state so I no longer need to have my car tested for emissions when renewing registration, but I do expect this code would cause my car to fail emissions in another state.

I'm trying to follow the process to heal the code and need to start by reading permanent codes, so I can do the recommended procedure: Remedy the fault, then clear fault memory. The problem is this ABL test module crashes with the java error. Ug.

I think I have a problem with my install of ISTA, probably the wrong version of java. I will try a fresh install of ISTA+ 4.39.20 on a clean Win 10 image to see if it can get through the tests without crashing. If that fails, I'll try an older version of ISTA-D. Thanks for posting all that detailed ISTA info in other threads!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 04:04 PM   #5
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I got ISTA-D v3.54 working, read vehicle info, and have different results.

It seemed to take a lot longer to read codes this time, and the car threw warnings while codes were read.

The details for the CIC GPS receiver faulty code say it has happened 40 times, but based on mileage of the first time it happened, it started in 2016.

The S 0757 code no longer shows.

I'm going to try the latest ISTA+ 4.39 and see what happens. Good thing I have several spare SSDs.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 06:43 PM   #6
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have ISTA+ 4.39 working and have a whole new batch of codes! Now getting CDA7 and D378 for the reverse gear switch.

Something about using the old ISTA-D really screwed things up. It's like it brought back old fault codes and I need to clear them again. My hill assist stopped working when my wheel speed sensor went bad, now these codes indicate it's not working again.

I think I need to drive the car around the neighborhood a bit, let the car figure out the wheel speed sensor is good, then will try again.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:35 PM   #7
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I am so screwed. FRM will not communicate anymore, can't roll windows down, no turn signals, can't turn lights on/off, interior lights dont work. Fu.......cc......kkkkkkkk
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 09:05 PM   #8
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I found a local shop that fixes FRMs, had it repaired, and I'm back in business.

I think the issue happened because I did not turn off accessories when reading fault codes. I had headlights, heater, AC, blower, and music all turned on.

Next time, will connect a 10A bench power supply at 14v and turn offf accessories before reading faults. For now, the car has zero faults, and I have stuff to do, so I'm not touching it.

Back to the original issue, ISTA+ 4.39 did not crash when reading permanent fault codes, but it seemed to only run a few tests then quit. I'll try this again with the external power supply to ensure voltage stays above 13 during the read.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 10:23 PM   #9
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdi View Post
... I think the issue happened because I did not turn off accessories when reading fault codes. I had headlights, heater, AC, blower, and music all turned on.

Next time, will connect a 10A bench power supply at 14v and turn offf accessories before reading faults. For now, the car has zero faults, and I have stuff to do, so I'm not touching it.

Back to the original issue, ISTA+ 4.39 did not crash when reading permanent fault codes, but it seemed to only run a few tests then quit. I'll try this again with the external power supply to ensure voltage stays above 13 during the read.
It's a good idea to have the battery charged up(close to full if possible) before performing diagnostics with ISTA-D and a must with ISTA-P. A 10 Amp battery charger is fine(bare minimum) for diagnostics, but for programming BMW recommends a 70~100Amp clean/steady voltage/current power supply/voltage regulator (not a noisy/fluctuating battery charger - can cause bricked ECUs). And all accessory functions should be off (not sure why you had them ON... unless you were testing a power supply's amps capacity under load). All that load could cause noise in the internal CAN communication line.

Also, have you tried first clearing all (old)fault codes, going for a drive, then checking with ISTA afterward for fresh/remaining faults? I wonder if some of the faults are remnants of periodic vehicle examination/testing, that were never cleared afterwards.

Last edited by tinkerman; 10-13-2023 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:40 PM   #10
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Do you really think I need 70-100A with the battery connected? That's enough to run the car without the battery...

My power supply is an actual quality regulated DC power supply, not a battery charger. I do occasionally use to charge batteries, manually adjusting voltage to get my desired current. It'll do 15A peak for 30s.

If you think that's not enough power I can probably get my hands on a 1000W server PSU and mod it to run at 14V.

I haven't tried clearing fault codes since the instructions in ISTA+ for healing permanent codes said to first do the diagnostics, then clear.

EDIT: Did some more reading. Yeah, I need a bigger supply.

Last edited by owdi; 10-14-2023 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 12:22 AM   #11
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Do you really think I need 70-100A with the battery connected? That's enough to run the car without the battery...

My power supply is an actual quality regulated DC power supply, not a battery charger. I do occasionally use to charge batteries, manually adjusting voltage to get my desired current. It'll do 15A peak for 30s.

If you think that's not enough power I can probably get my hands on a 1000W server PSU and mod it to run at 14V.

I haven't tried clearing fault codes since the instructions in ISTA+ for healing permanent codes said to first do the diagnostics, then clear.

EDIT: Did some more reading. Yeah, I need a bigger supply.
As I mentioned, if you are only doing diagnostic work with NO "programming"(flash updating firmware of ECUs, not simple "coding"), then a charged healthy battery with a modest 10A battery charger will be fine, as the power consumption will be relatively low.

But if you will be "programming" with ISTA+ or ISTA-P to update the firmware on an ECU, the process can take a long time and cause up to 50amps or more in current draw, which will drain the battery quickly, hence the need for a high capacity(70~100amp rated) power supply/voltage regulator.

And yes, there are many folks that mod server power supplies (1200W is popular for about 85amps max @14V, but a 1000W should work as well since it would allow about 71amps max @14V) to output just over 14VDC to maintain 13~14V for programming. I am shopping around for such psu as well as a genuine ICOM NEXT myself.

I do have a solid K+DCAN cable (for diagnostics purposes), but for programming, it will be nice to just have the real genuine ICOM NEXT (NOT a Chinese clone), for peace of mind when the need arises to update the firmware, or replace an ECU. Regarding the initial bite of the cost for a genuine ICOM NEXT, the solid capacity to DIY such maintenance would "pay for itself" quickly when the time comes.

The reason I asked about deleting fault codes memory, going for a spin, then rechecking for faults, is because, there could be odd faults(not normally produced by regular driving) from mandatory vehicle testing involving say front and rear wheels/brakes being operated separately(rear wheels/brakes spun/actuated while front are not for speedometer reading/brake testing etc.). This type of testing would leave fault codes, but would not be currently present. Deleting such recorded faults would leave only faults that ARE currently existing in the car and would help you focus your efforts on those faults without distractions.

Last edited by tinkerman; 10-15-2023 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 12:25 PM   #12
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I really want to get through a full diagnostics with communication with all modules before I clear anything.

We're about to recycle a bunch of old equipment at work, pretty sure I can grab a few Dell 1100 PSUs from old R710 or R720 servers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 04:47 AM   #13
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I really want to get through a full diagnostics with communication with all modules before I clear anything.

We're about to recycle a bunch of old equipment at work, pretty sure I can grab a few Dell 1100 PSUs from old R710 or R720 servers.
You've already established communication with your modules, hence the diagnostic results.

On the far right(opposite "Code"s) there is the "Existent" column, in which you can see fault codes that are 'still existent'(marked "yes") and those that are NOT(marked "No", recorded from a while back perhaps, but NOT currently present). If you delete all fault codes then reread fault codes, you should be left with only those that are marked "yes" under "Existent". Those are the fault codes that are currently affecting your car, so it would be somewhat less distracting or disturbing at least (you already have a record of the currently non-existent fault codes at least in this thread, so you can clear them in your ISTA diagnostics session. That's what I was suggesting.

Lucky you for having the option to snag some potentially fine server power supplies(drool) from servers on their way out - I'm also keeping an eye out for a good 1000~1400W psu to mod.

I already have a 600W mod psu but it can only put out like 42~43amps @14VDC, and since it's possible to acquire these server psus used for very affordable prices, I'm very interested in doin' it, especially knowing that they often have a current sense output pin - meaning if you can figure out the output sense voltage ratio(e.g. 60mV/A) you can by adding the appropriate ratio voltage divider resistors(e.g. for 6:1 output) in between a cheap 1.000V rated voltage meter(adjusting the decimal placement to 100.0) and use it as a current meter.

Good references for HP server psu mod:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838716

https://colintd.blogspot.com/2016/10...-supplies.html

Last edited by tinkerman; 10-18-2023 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 06:47 PM   #14
owdi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Not too lucky, I found these Dell PSUs do not have a guide for defeating the OVP to run at 14V. I got one running and best I can do is 12.6V after trying different resistors across the remote sense pins. I'll probably buy an HP 1200W PSU for $25 off ebay, since those have a ton of guides online.

Too bad, these PSUs work in parallel, I could have had 160A on tap...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-PSU%29/page2

Last edited by owdi; 10-21-2023 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:02 PM   #15
jam2reggae
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, BMW F10, BMW E60

Need help with fault SAE S0757 code - How to complete the process without error out

Quote:
I'm trying "heal" a "permanent SAE fault code" but every time I try to read the codes I get an error. Car is a 2010 E90 RWD manual.

Evaluation of permanent SAE fault codes is running.
Step 2 of 12
Please wait!
Error in testmodule: ABL_DIT_AS1236_SAE_PERM_ANZ

Background: I used ISTA+ to Read Out Vehicle Data, Complete Identification, then Display Fault Memory. That all worked, and it displayed two Existent faults and 11 old faults.

The two faults are:
00C51F CIC: GPS receiver: faulty

I click Calculate Test Plan, then double click ABL Displaying permanent SAE fault codes.

A window opens that says Display ABL-DIT-AS1236_SAE_PERM_ANZ - Displaying permanent SAE fault codes - V.18

I choose Yes to continue service function, then get the error.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Do I have a bad install of BMW tools?

How did you eventually get ISTA-D to run the healing process? I am having the same error issues you experienced.

Thanks
Appreciate 0