E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 2006 330D 231hp might have a problem or two

11-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 330D SE with M sport kit

E90 2006 330D 231hp might have a problem or two

Afternoon all

had my car around six months now and I love it but I'm sure its dropped a little power (even though I added a super chips blue fin)

it seems to make like a tapping/ticking noise on tick over from the drivers side of the engine bay that goes away if you increase the revs and can't be heard while driving, has anyone had this before?

Also what do people reccomend as far as EGR, Swirl flaps, Oil breathers and DPFs on these cars.

currently mine is totally stock on 85k with FSH.

Cheers in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

DPF - MOT regs require the MOT test centre to "visually" inspect the DPF but many seem to get away by stating that they cannot inspect them because they are covered - I would think that the rules in this area will only get tighter in the next few years

I believe that as far as UK law is concerned, while it’s not illegal to remove a car’s DPF, it is illegal to drive a vehicle without a DPF if one should be fitted. Therefore if you drive a car on UK roads with the DPF removed you are committing an offence.

If you sell a car with the DPF deleted, technically you are selling a car which should not be driven on UK roads, and if you do not declare this to the buyer then the buyer may have a legal case against you if they subsequently discover this.

In any case, if you do delete the DPF and EGR - at least keep them and do not damage them when they are removed

so be aware of UK law and also what an insurance company may decide in case of an accident

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 11-13-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyboyross View Post
Afternoon all

had my car around six months now and I love it but I'm sure its dropped a little power (even though I added a super chips blue fin)

it seems to make like a tapping/ticking noise on tick over from the drivers side of the engine bay that goes away if you increase the revs and can't be heard while driving, has anyone had this before?

Also what do people reccomend as far as EGR, Swirl flaps, Oil breathers and DPFs on these cars.

currently mine is totally stock on 85k with FSH.

Cheers in advance
Congrats on your purchase. The M57 330d is a great car. Overall it's a very reliable block.

Over 10 years of M57 ownership has taught me a few things. I have the same engine on 160k miles with 0 fault codes or issues. Car still has a DPF and EGR.

- First thing is get a DCAN cable or wifi ODB2 connector and install Carly on iOS or Android. See if you have any codes.

- Typically the M57 glow plug controller dies. You may also have some glow plugs out.

- EGR and main thermostats die. This is a big issue. Replace them both if your coolant temp isn't getting about 75c. The DPF won't regenerate when coolant temp is below 75c.

- Blank the swirl flaps. When doing this, clean or replace the manifold properly and EGR.

- Check for oil leaks in the engine bay. Often the seals on the boost hose (big red hose) between turbo and inter cooler go and the bottom of the engine by gets sprayed with a fine mist of oil.

- Use decent oil and service parts.

- Look after the underneath of the car. The control arms and tie rods / ends, suspension components take a beating. Then can start to fail. Not unusual for springs to snap. The tie rod ends get seized meaning alignment cant be adjusted.

- Expect the ABS/ DSC pump to die at some point.

Can you upload a video of your ticking noise?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

I have also had my E90 330d with M57 for over 10yrs. 132k miles and still have dpf and egr. Emapped. Had to renew egr thermostat (easy), main thermostat (my mechanic did it along with water pump for good measure), glow plugs (by my mechanic), DSC pump (twice by ecutesting.com/my mechanic), headlamp washer nozzles every couple years (easy), swirl flap delete, egr pressure converter (whilst inlet manifold was off), the glow plug controller was covered in oil from leaking swirl flaps and was ok after cleaning, snapped coil spring so took opportunity to replace with eibach pro kit/koni, exhaust gas temp sensors. Your red boost pipe is prolly leaking and losing power. My mpg average went up nearly 10% after renewed it and deflap thus fixing air leaks. Still get 50+mpg easy in a long mway run and averaging 47mpg on vpower.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
DPF - MOT regs require the MOT test centre to "visually" inspect the DPF but many seem to get away by stating that they cannot inspect them because they are covered - I would think that the rules in this area will only get tighter in the next few years

I believe that as far as UK law is concerned, while it’s not illegal to remove a car’s DPF, it is illegal to drive a vehicle without a DPF if one should be fitted. Therefore if you drive a car on UK roads with the DPF removed you are committing an offence.

If you sell a car with the DPF deleted, technically you are selling a car which should not be driven on UK roads, and if you do not declare this to the buyer then the buyer may have a legal case against you if they subsequently discover this.

In any case, if you do delete the DPF and EGR - at least keep them and do not damage them when they are removed

so be aware of UK law and also what an insurance company may decide in case of an accident
I would rather keep the DPF if I'm honest as my tailpipes stay lovely and clean and I've never seen any smoke coming from my car but I was curious as to the general opinions of owners as I haven't had the car long enough to really know what's normal yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Congrats on your purchase. The M57 330d is a great car. Overall it's a very reliable block.

Over 10 years of M57 ownership has taught me a few things. I have the same engine on 160k miles with 0 fault codes or issues. Car still has a DPF and EGR.

- First thing is get a DCAN cable or wifi ODB2 connector and install Carly on iOS or Android. See if you have any codes.

- Typically the M57 glow plug controller dies. You may also have some glow plugs out.

- EGR and main thermostats die. This is a big issue. Replace them both if your coolant temp isn't getting about 75c. The DPF won't regenerate when coolant temp is below 75c.

- Blank the swirl flaps. When doing this, clean or replace the manifold properly and EGR.

- Check for oil leaks in the engine bay. Often the seals on the boost hose (big red hose) between turbo and inter cooler go and the bottom of the engine by gets sprayed with a fine mist of oil.

- Use decent oil and service parts.

- Look after the underneath of the car. The control arms and tie rods / ends, suspension components take a beating. Then can start to fail. Not unusual for springs to snap. The tie rod ends get seized meaning alignment cant be adjusted.

- Expect the ABS/ DSC pump to die at some point.

Can you upload a video of your ticking noise?
I am very happy with my purchase, the torque is so much fun! Thus far the car has been cared for my bmw or bmw Indies from new with FSH, I'm only the third owner so Im hoping as far as maintenance goes it shouldn't be too bad but im planning a service when it goes in for MOT in April.

Ill have to get hold a Carly adapter and suck up the cost, I was a little put off as its over £100 with subscription but it sounds like its worth the investment.

So the general advice is to keep EGR, Clean and blank swirl flap and manifold, and keep DPF then?

Ive been tempted to chuck it on a rolling road to check its not just that over time ive got used to it and the power is intact still there, but I swear it used to excite me a lot more than it does now.

I do have a video but not sure if it will tell you anything, it may even be normal as ive never driven or looked at another 330D lol

Link might work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
I have also had my E90 330d with M57 for over 10yrs. 132k miles and still have dpf and egr. Emapped. Had to renew egr thermostat (easy), main thermostat (my mechanic did it along with water pump for good measure), glow plugs (by my mechanic), DSC pump (twice by ecutesting.com/my mechanic), headlamp washer nozzles every couple years (easy), swirl flap delete, egr pressure converter (whilst inlet manifold was off), the glow plug controller was covered in oil from leaking swirl flaps and was ok after cleaning, snapped coil spring so took opportunity to replace with eibach pro kit/koni, exhaust gas temp sensors. Your red boost pipe is prolly leaking and losing power. My mpg average went up nearly 10% after renewed it and deflap thus fixing air leaks. Still get 50+mpg easy in a long mway run and averaging 47mpg on vpower.
Sounds like ive bought a good motor then as im hoping to keep it for five years or so till ive saved up and bought a house. it was a happy medium between power and running costs!

Although mines manual and im only seeing 38mpg average at the moment which seems low compared to other owners...

Last edited by ozyboyross; 11-14-2018 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:15 AM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Sounds like a typical M57 to me.

38mpg is quite low. What type of journeys do you do?

It's worth accessing the secret menu on the instrument cluster and monitoring your coolant temperature on a drive. This can have a big impact on fuel economy.

Carly is expensive. But it is good. You could also buy a cable and download official diagnostic software to a laptop free. This can be tricky to use and setup however.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Sounds like a typical M57 to me.

38mpg is quite low. What type of journeys do you do?

It's worth accessing the secret menu on the instrument cluster and monitoring your coolant temperature on a drive. This can have a big impact on fuel economy.

Carly is expensive. But it is good. You could also buy a cable and download official diagnostic software to a laptop free. This can be tricky to use and setup however.
I was expecting more tbh, most of my journeys are to and from work, which is 11 miles, probably 4 miles of dual carriage way, then 7 miles of A road at 50-60mph, There is the odd roundabout but its a fairly steady run in all honesty.

I do like to put my foot down from time to time though I must admit, that torque is addictive! especially with the remap.

Every time ive tried to access the temp through the secret menus its never worked, its bugged the hell out of me, coz I have tried on more than one occasion.

I think I will have to bit the bullet and invest in Carly.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

get a foxwell NT510,,can be had for £117..does everything carly can do and better for diagnostics,,but cannot code things in and out etc,,like say removing drive away locking/mirrors etc.and when its time to sell its not like an app..also easy to just plug into obd port
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
get a foxwell NT510,,can be had for £117..does everything carly can do and better for diagnostics,,but cannot code things in and out etc,,like say removing drive away locking/mirrors etc.and when its time to sell its not like an app..also easy to just plug into obd port
Cheers ill have a look, the thing that gripes me with Carly is the £55 a year subscription for it tbh, Id pay it if it was a one off for life!

I do have a super chips bluefin that I used to remap with that apparently will scan for codes, maybe I should give that a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

I've always been a fan of INPA and the associated suite that allows coding etc. and in terms of value for money I don't think you can beat it. Buy the lead and you can download the software for free. It is also proper BMW and not 3rd party interpretation.

But... As others have said it can be a real PITA to install if you are not confident at playing around with Windows PC's and you do need to sit in your car literally with a laptop on your lap! You also sometimes need to know a little technical German since even the English language version sometimes lapses into Deutsche but with Google Translate readily available it is not the deal breaker it used to be!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
I've always been a fan of INPA and the associated suite that allows coding etc. and in terms of value for money I don't think you can beat it. Buy the lead and you can download the software for free. It is also proper BMW and not 3rd party interpretation.

But... As others have said it can be a real PITA to install if you are not confident at playing around with Windows PC's and you do need to sit in your car literally with a laptop on your lap! You also sometimes need to know a little technical German since even the English language version sometimes lapses into Deutsche but with Google Translate readily available it is not the deal breaker it used to be!
yupmthats the best,,but as said its a faff,and have to get a laptop to the car when wanting to read codes etc,,the foxwell can be left in the car etc,,
Appreciate 0