E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > akebono pad clanking noise?

05-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

akebono pad clanking noise?

I put akebono ceramics on my car a few months ago and at first was disappointed in the feel but after about 1000 miles they felt much better.

Now I have developed a clanking noise when I apply the brakes. After I apply them once it doesn't happen if I apply them again in a few minutes. However, if I drive a while then it clanks again.

I called the dealership and my service advisor said he had had people with ceramic pads with this problem before and it was because the pad didn't fit well. That doesn't seem logical to me since I didn't get the noise for the first 3 months/6k miles on them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with akebono pads?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
I called the dealership and my service advisor said he had had people with ceramic pads with this problem before and it was because the pad didn't fit well. That doesn't seem logical to me since I didn't get the noise for the first 3 months/6k miles on them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with akebono pads?
I think the SA is full of SH*T!!!!

Ceramic pads are no different than another other type of brake pads, except for what they are made of.

I had my Ankebono's installed a month ago and haven't heard a peep out of them. If there's a problem, it's because the "wrong" pads were installed OR the pads were NOT installed properly.
      05-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I have found a few reports of this happening with other model BMWs and Akebono brakes but nobody with a new 3 series has complained about it. Oh well...I guess I'll take a look myself to see what I can figure out.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

My co-worker has a Mercedes and had this issue with the Akebonos. I guess the overall pad size was a bit smaller than OEM and the pad would shift a bit inside the caliper when the brakes were applied and make a clanking sound.

they'd shift back when he reversed out of a parking spot, and then shift again after moving forward and applying the brakes.

it annoyed him enough that he went back to OEM after about a month.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
My co-worker has a Mercedes and had this issue with the Akebonos. I guess the overall pad size was a bit smaller than OEM and the pad would shift a bit inside the caliper when the brakes were applied and make a clanking sound.

they'd shift back when he reversed out of a parking spot, and then shift again after moving forward and applying the brakes.

it annoyed him enough that he went back to OEM after about a month.
This!

My mechanic told me they would do this and he was right. I believe the Akebono's are slight smaller than the OEM's so they shift a bit after you have used them while in reverse. They shift back once you use going forward again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Had this problem with my ceramic blues. Simply remove the pad, readjust the springs that hold it in the caliper and reapply the binding compound. Done.
Appreciate 0