E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Springs vs. Coilovers

05-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Tdocter
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 SGM e90 328i

Garage List
Springs vs. Coilovers

If I'm just doing casual driving - no track or racing - would it be okay to go with just springs for lowering - or is it always recommended to go for coils to lower it?

if so, whats the best option to go with, performance and price wise?

Thanks folks!!

Doc
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

You can go with just springs, but they will accelerate the wear on your shocks/struts. Coilovers can be used on the street also, but considering your intended purpose they are overkill, IMO.

One option that is somewhat in the middle of what you are considering is to upgrade your shocks/struts to something that is designed for use with lowering springs. This will be more expensive than just buying springs but it is generally cheaper than a full coilover setup and you can still get a good drop while maintaining drivability. This is the route I took, upgrading with the Bilstein B12 Pro-kit.

Lots of good info in this suspension sticky
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
KevinThePanda
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E90 328i, Mk6 VW GTI

Springs along with a shock/strut combo usually ends up being cheaper than buying a coilover set but imo springs and shock/struts can be more of a hit and miss because of the lack of adjustability with them. You'd really have to mix and match pieces and even though there are a lot of reviews about how certain sets feel, each person has their own definition of what is "comfortable" or "sporty". And the opposite goes for coilovers, theyre usually more expensive than buying springs/shocks/struts but allow more adjustability without having to buy different parts when you're looking for your ideal setup. Like for my case, I know I'm not tracking the car but i wanted to upgrade my suspension from the base model setup and ended up going with ST coilovers. They haven't came in yet so I can't give you a personal review of the setup but I went with coils because of the adjustability that it offers me and i can easily just adjust the height whenever I wanted to without buying new springs.
Either way you can't go wrong with springs/struts/shocks or coilovers, as long as it meets your needs and budget.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
H&R sport springs and Koni shocks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Tdocter
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 SGM e90 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel
You can go with just springs, but they will accelerate the wear on your shocks/struts. Coilovers can be used on the street also, but considering your intended purpose they are overkill, IMO.

One option that is somewhat in the middle of what you are considering is to upgrade your shocks/struts to something that is designed for use with lowering springs. This will be more expensive than just buying springs but it is generally cheaper than a full coilover setup and you can still get a good drop while maintaining drivability. This is the route I took, upgrading with the Bilstein B12 Pro-kit.

Lots of good info in this suspension sticky
If I only got springs, how fast would I have to get new struts? Could I go on just the springs for a few thousand miles prior to getting better struts?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdocter View Post
If I only got springs, how fast would I have to get new struts? Could I go on just the springs for a few thousand miles prior to getting better struts?
I would just wait and do it all at the same time.

Nothing like spending 3-4 hours of your time X 2 then paying for alignment twice.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdocter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel

Lots of good info in http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172481]this suspension sticky[/url]
You could, and if by "a few thousand" you mean "less than 5k" miles you'll probably be fine (unless your struts are already at/near the end of their life).

However, like XM_Rocks said, it's easier and cheaper do do them all at once. That's my advice also.
      05-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtyp3 View Post
H&R sport springs and Koni shocks.
This is exactly what im thinking of, along with the Bilstein B14 coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

bags

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0