E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Valvetronic issues

01-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #67
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
Do a custom tune and get ride of the bef. I am starting a diy tread for it and its not hard https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1787691
I havent finished until my weekend but i will also be shareing tunes. I have PPK that you can flash for 98G0B https://mega.nz/file/9KpDSAqA#Gsn3na...vrQ1J11XiWEZzU or my stage one that i got rid of the overboost/throttle closures https://mega.nz/file/JDI3jKDS#SdKld-...VNbpZFVcP12h9U
Log for custom tune https://datazap.me/u/tunafish389/log...og=0&data=4-15
Tuna, is the above mentioned PPK .bin able to be flashed with MHD just like any other custom tune file?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #68
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Yes as long as its 98G0B. I flashed it to my car and its a pretty weak tune. I think 12 psi max but stock is 10. But once you been on 16 psi you can notice the difference. All you need is MHD flasher and go to flash a custom tune and select the PPK bin.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #69
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Update: I hooked up ISTA and the valvetronic refused to reset end points and would not allow any of the tests to run.

Last weekend, I replaced the eccentric shaft and valvetronic motor (good thing I bought the first one through FCP). I made sure to use the lifetime lube on the worm gear, put in a new oil spray tube (yes, it is hollow with a very small lumen so oil does flow or drip through it), and I also put assembly lube on all new bearings and friction surfaces.

Afterwards, ISTA easily went through all the learning functions and the run-in process.

For now, I’ve removed MHD and flashed back to stock. JB4 is all unplugged and the stock TMAP is back in. Let’s see how this runs for a little while before doing any tuning

I did have a thought about the VVT failure. Because my DME was locked, I ran JB4 on the stock DME for 3.5 years. When I was able to flash the BEF I noticed that I was no longer getting any kind of throttle closures as the DME was trying to compensate for timing or overboost. Without BEF, the throttle would also open fully at some point after being at WOT/100% pedal.

So, from what I’ve observed, it looks like MHD/BEF makes the VVT system work harder and more frequently than when the stock DME is running under factory programming.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2021, 03:35 AM   #70
Peckarami
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

I have been having 2E0F codes for some time now. What solved it for me was one of 3 things.
1. Charging the battery ahead of installing MHD
2. Disconnecting battery to see what type it was before charging
3. Installing MHD stage 1
After all of this I cleared the codes and now the engine is performing well. No overly loud start ups, no power dips when pulling off the line normally. No strange turbo spooling noises (would get a very noticeable sucking noise with an insane exhaust volume for first 3 mins of driving) and no constant ticking from the intake side. It has been a couple of days so far and all good!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #71
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckarami View Post
I have been having 2E0F codes for some time now. What solved it for me was one of 3 things.
1. Charging the battery ahead of installing MHD
2. Disconnecting battery to see what type it was before charging
3. Installing MHD stage 1
After all of this I cleared the codes and now the engine is performing well. No overly loud start ups, no power dips when pulling off the line normally. No strange turbo spooling noises (would get a very noticeable sucking noise with an insane exhaust volume for first 3 mins of driving) and no constant ticking from the intake side. It has been a couple of days so far and all good!
That may end up only being a band aid. I hope it works for you but wait to see what happens in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #72
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
So, from what I’ve observed, it looks like MHD/BEF makes the VVT system work harder and more frequently than when the stock DME is running under factory programming.
No, MHD doesn't really jack with VANOS/VVT, nor do they mess with Valvetronic.

The only reason you may be seeing more throttle plate action is due to their piss poor control of boost. The Bosch/BMW DME steps in to control boost/load through the throttle plate.
Appreciate 0