E90Post
 


Coby Wheel
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Andream Install: E9x with CIC



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
94
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: 355
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (1)

Andream Install: E9x with CIC

Anyone able to successfully install an Andream box with existing CIC? I'm having an issue getting mine to work. There are no instructions with this thing and I can't find an install video or directions (at least one with a CIC using an existing combox).

When I wire everything up as I believe it should be I'm only getting a red screen.

I have moved the two wires (green and black) from the main terminal block to the new adapter. I connected the purple end LVDS wire that was connected to the existing combox to the new box LVDS IN. I connected the LVDS OUT on the new box to the iDrive screen. I have no idea what to do with the other connectors that went to the existing combox. I tapped a couple of the exiting wires on the connector for the backup camera (no idea if I got this right). Checked that the 3 and 4 dip switches are on and the rest are off.

Anyone have suggestions for how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
94
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: 355
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (1)

Okay for anyone else that may experience this problem in the future the labeling is switched on the MMI box for the LVDS. LVDS OUT is really LVDS IN. LVDS IN is really LVDS OUT.

To make it even simpler the LVDS connector that has the angled purple plug end should be connected to the middle port of the MMI box labeled LVDS OUT.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
prince01
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: bmw E90 320I
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: egypt

iTrader: (0)

Actually i have been trying to install the andream carplay box on my CIC idrive but whenever i connect it i get the electronics failure from the car and idrive freezes.
I have used all the connections scenarios proposed from the seller but nothing worked.

Have anyone encountered something like it ???
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
1020
Rep
2,472
Posts

Drives: e92n52 & f15n57
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince01 View Post
Actually i have been trying to install the andream carplay box on my CIC idrive but whenever i connect it i get the electronics failure from the car and idrive freezes.
I have used all the connections scenarios proposed from the seller but nothing worked.

Have anyone encountered something like it ???
Look at this video. Do not remove your LCD screen.

Connection needs to be following:
HEADUNIT -----> Andream LVDS cable 1 ----> ANDREAM UNIT ----> Andream LVDS Cable 2 -----> BMW Original Cable -----> DISPLAY

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
lnxguy
Major
207
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince01 View Post
Actually i have been trying to install the andream carplay box on my CIC idrive but whenever i connect it i get the electronics failure from the car and idrive freezes.
I have used all the connections scenarios proposed from the seller but nothing worked.

Have anyone encountered something like it ???
DIP switch #4 has to be set on or you'll get failures like this.

I just installed this unit into my e90. LVDS cables are labelled backwards but that's an easy fix if you don't get video, just switch them around. Only other thing I found was the harness going into the iDrive controller was super tight and required a lot of force to seat correctly. Other then that follow the Bimmertech install, pretty simple.
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
1020
Rep
2,472
Posts

Drives: e92n52 & f15n57
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
DIP switch #4 has to be set on or you'll get failures like this.

I just installed this unit into my e90. LVDS cables are labelled backwards but that's an easy fix if you don't get video, just switch them around. Only other thing I found was the harness going into the iDrive controller was super tight and required a lot of force to seat correctly. Other then that follow the Bimmertech install, pretty simple.
I skipped installing the idrive controller. Everything works fine except my steering wheel volume buttons. I have to turn the volume knob. Do your steering wheel buttons work?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
lnxguy
Major
207
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I skipped installing the idrive controller. Everything works fine except my steering wheel volume buttons. I have to turn the volume knob. Do your steering wheel buttons work?
Yup, everything works as it should.
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
Jannibal
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW E91 (2010)
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Hi, everyone. I'm new at this forum. I did this last week in my new, old E91 (2010). It was a fun job, good to get my car know a little better. Although a little more effort then expected but finally got it working. Well... I have no sound (my whole aux option gone missing under CD/Multimedia) and steering wheel buttons are not working (option in Andream is enabled for steerwheel buttons).

Android Auto and Carplay are working, but sound is quit essential for Spotify etc.

Someone has an idea to get it working?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
Jannibal
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW E91 (2010)
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Yup, everything works as it should.
Do you mean working in iDrive or also working in Carplay/Android Auto? In the case of the latter: I'm curious how you did this...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #10
Jannibal
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW E91 (2010)
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannibal View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm new at this forum. I did this last week in my new, old E91 (2010). It was a fun job, good to get my car know a little better. Although a little more effort then expected but finally got it working. Well... I have no sound (my whole aux option gone missing under CD/Multimedia) and steering wheel buttons are not working (option in Andream is enabled for steerwheel buttons).

Android Auto and Carplay are working, but sound is quit essential for Spotify etc.

Someone has an idea to get it working?
Ok nevermind. Damn you BMW, and stupid me of course . The aux option appears when you push the iDrive controller to the left inside the CD/Multimedia menu. Couldn't find it before. So put it on Aux front and I finally got sound. Steering wheel buttons also work with Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #11
lnxguy
Major
207
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannibal View Post
Do you mean working in iDrive or also working in Carplay/Android Auto? In the case of the latter: I'm curious how you did this...
Everything works. Standard iDrive along with AA. All I did was follow the instructions What are you having issues with?
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #12
unrulyteach
Colonel
unrulyteach's Avatar
United_States
376
Rep
2,447
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: myrtle beach sc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Install yesterday was pretty straight forward but i read that it can be updated? If so how?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #13
lnxguy
Major
207
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Install yesterday was pretty straight forward but i read that it can be updated? If so how?
There's a huge thread on f30 post. Do a quick Google search and you'll find it.
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #14
cisf0rcalvin
First Lieutenant
cisf0rcalvin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: E90 LCI
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nevada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [4.25]
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

F30 thread, applies to E90, make sure you get the correct version.
__________________
Add Ons: Charcoal Filter Delete, K&N Drop-in, Air Scoops, HID Angel Eyes, Splitters, M3 Lip Spoiler, Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Blackvue DR500-GW, M-Tech rear, BMW Performance Exhaust, M3 control arms, Bilstein HD
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
20Drift
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: E91 320D LCI
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to revive an old thread...

Just tried installing this in my E91 LCI CIC, however the iDrive controller doesnít respond when itís connected to the harness. I tried different combinations of high speed/low speed CAN but didnít make a difference.

Any pointers on this, or is it a faulty harness?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #16
lnxguy
Major
207
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

You really gotta push the aftermarket harness into the iDrive controller. I had the same issue...... Connector wasn't in deep enough...

Whoops!
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
20Drift
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: E91 320D LCI
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
You really gotta push the aftermarket harness into the iDrive controller. I had the same issue...... Connector wasn't in deep enough...

Whoops!
Ah ok, it did feel pretty snug when going in so maybe I've not got it fully home. Will have another look tomorrow. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #18
gsdavidp
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi E91
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Just tried installing this in my E91 LCI CIC, however the iDrive controller doesn't respond when it's connected to the harness. I tried different combinations of high speed/low speed CAN but didn't make a difference.
I am currently having a similar issue with my iDrive controller, The only difference is that I had mine all working up until this past weekend when I was installing my andream rear view camera into the unit, and after attempting a MCU update it no longer detects the iDrive controller. I have found that if you plug the 2 big plugs that are meant for the ccc iDrive controller into eachother it will get recognized in the bmw system but the MMI will not pick up the input. If you figure this issue out let me know please.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
infinite_creations25
Private
35
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: garage

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone experienced a problem where carplay is stuck in dark mode regardless of the headlight switch setting?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:08 PM   #20
lnxguy
Major
207
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

Make sure you're on the latest software update. Day/Night mode should be fixed.

Latest version is 1.5.5 along with a new MCU as well.

Find them here.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #21
eja5er
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 535d xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (0)

I'm having the red screen issue that was mentioned in the original post. When the turn the car on, I see the red screen where iDrive should be.

If I hold the Menu, the MMI kicks in. CarPlay appears, and everything is working as it should.

When switching the cables around as mentioned, and iDrive reappears, but now holding Menu to switch to the MMI does not work.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:11 PM   #22
gsdavidp
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi E91
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eja5er View Post
I'm having the red screen issue that was mentioned in the original post. When the turn the car on, I see the red screen where iDrive should be.

If I hold the Menu, the MMI kicks in. CarPlay appears, and everything is working as it should.

When switching the cables around as mentioned, and iDrive reappears, but now holding Menu to switch to the MMI does not work.
Ensure you have the idrive cable fully plugged in as I've had that issue and it takes a lot of force to plug it all the way in
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST