Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Got spacers, rubbing when going over dips on highway.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
MadDog89
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Got spacers, rubbing when going over dips on highway.

I have a 2007 335i E92, running staggered wheels 18x8/18x9 ET35 72.6 CB, and 225/40 & 255/35 R18 tires. Stock suspension all around. I recently installed spacers, 12.5mm front and 17.5mm in the rear. Got the look I am after, but noticed rubbing when going through dips on the highway. Don't hear rubbing over speed bumps however.
Attached Images

04-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

If it's pretty bad, you could roll the fenders. It doesn't look too insanely aggressive so I'm sure that would take care of it. Also, if you're on stock suspension I'd bet money your rear bump stops have turned to dust. Replacing those might have a significant effect on how far your suspension compresses on smaller bumps like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:16 PM   #3
MadDog89
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
If it's pretty bad, you could roll the fenders. It doesn't look too insanely aggressive so I'm sure that would take care of it. Also, if you're on stock suspension I'd bet money your rear bump stops have turned to dust. Replacing those might have a significant effect on how far your suspension compresses on smaller bumps like this.
Rear bump stops are definitely torn, both of them. Is it worth replacing them, or just go with different suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog89 View Post
Rear bump stops are definitely torn, both of them. Is it worth replacing them, or just go with different suspension.
This depends entirely on your goals. Suspension is a big rabbithole and for me, if I'm gonna do it I'll go full coilovers because you can fine tune the ride height to avoid issues such as the rubbing you're experiencing and it allows you to corner balance the car for tracking, adjust height based on different wheels/tires that you choose to run, slam it for shows and have a more reasonable height for daily, etc. With Ground Control, you can even pick the exact spring rates and lengths for your usage/preferences.

So the answer to 'is it worth replacing' depends on if the dampers are shot or not, and if they are you got a hefty proposition in front of you regarding what direction you want to take for suspension. It can be 300 bucks (rear dampers only) to several thousand depending on what you want from it.

The way I see it you have several options for the issue at hand, in order of my preference:
-roll the fenders
-ignore it (if it's not rubbing significantly it doesn't really matter other than the noise you hear and shiny sidewalls)
-use thinner spacers
-use thinner tires
-increase the ride height (largely sarcastic but it would work)
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Yes, they're definitely worth replacing, regardless of whether you stick with stock suspension or go aftermarket. It will help with the rubbing too I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #6
MadDog89
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
This depends entirely on your goals. Suspension is a big rabbithole and for me, if I'm gonna do it I'll go full coilovers because you can fine tune the ride height to avoid issues such as the rubbing you're experiencing and it allows you to corner balance the car for tracking, adjust height based on different wheels/tires that you choose to run, slam it for shows and have a more reasonable height for daily, etc. With Ground Control, you can even pick the exact spring rates and lengths for your usage/preferences.

So the answer to 'is it worth replacing' depends on if the dampers are shot or not, and if they are you got a hefty proposition in front of you regarding what direction you want to take for suspension. It can be 300 bucks (rear dampers only) to several thousand depending on what you want from it.

The way I see it you have several options for the issue at hand, in order of my preference:
-roll the fenders
-ignore it (if it's not rubbing significantly it doesn't really matter other than the noise you hear and shiny sidewalls)
-use thinner spacers
-use thinner tires
-increase the ride height (largely sarcastic but it would work)
Good point, don't really want to replace my entire suspension. I am fine with stock. I just ordered a fender roller and will roll my fenders to start with and see if it helps. Thank you for the input.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      04-13-2021, 01:13 AM   #7
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog89 View Post
Good point, don't really want to replace my entire suspension. I am fine with stock. I just ordered a fender roller and will roll my fenders to start with and see if it helps. Thank you for the input.
Make sure you clean out any dirt that's stuck inside the fender lip, it could end up damaging the outside of the quarter panel. Other than that it should be fairly straightforward
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #8
MadDog89
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Make sure you clean out any dirt that's stuck inside the fender lip, it could end up damaging the outside of the quarter panel. Other than that it should be fairly straightforward
Thank you, was watching some YouTube to learn and someone actually mentioned that in the comments. Looks pretty easy enough.

On another note, I do hate how the front sits higher than the rear.
      04-14-2021, 01:05 AM   #9
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

So to address the initial issue of speed bump vs interstate. From a physics standpoint, the acceleration (change in direction and/or velocity) change is over a much shorter interval than a speed bump (assuming you slow down). Think of it like someone gently pushing you vs punching you. The travel of their arm is the same and the mass is the same but the interval is much shorter.

Now the following is speculation based on my experience and the info you provided. If you have below average miles (say 100-150k) or more, and you are on the original suspension chances are you are ready for a refresh. A lot of those components deteriorated over time and others by cycles, of which you have plenty. I just did mine a couple years ago and yours sounds a lot like mine and they were pretty rough.

(Cost of parts only) If you replace just the shocks and some other bits not included in the kits you are looking at like $350 minimum for B4 (OE), $500 for cheapest popular option (Koni), both reuse the stock springs. The Bilstein B14 hovers around $800, but you get shocks and springs that are matched together and it's height adjustable where the others aren't. These are the ones I installed, for basically 3 reasons. First and foremost I needed new shocks and bilstein is a respectable name. Second, I was on a budget but still wanted height adjustment. And finally real, useful suspension tuning is beyond my capacity, so spending $2-3k just didn't make sense.

If you go with FCP euro they have free lifetime warranty.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-kit-47-120471
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      04-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It's always better to address the suspension before tire/wheel setup, it allows the car to settle and then measure how much room you have to work with. I think that bump stops are cheaper than a new suspension, so why not try? You can burn through a sidewall quickly by rubbing it on a fender or suspension component so I'd address it sooner than later. The easiest fix is to eliminate the spacer or go with a smaller set.
      04-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #11
MadDog89
Second Lieutenant
Rep

End up rolling my fenders a little bit, still rubs also when making a fast turn. I am gonna try replacing those bump stops and see if it helps.
      04-20-2021, 11:16 PM   #12
MadDog89
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Replaced the bump stops today, rear actually sits a little bit higher now. Maybe its just me. But rubbing is gone.

I think I screwed up though, lifted rear end right where the differentia housing meets the cover
Appreciate 0