E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Junsun vs Eonon Head unit: A Cautionary Tale.

04-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
Solze90
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Junsun vs Eonon Head unit: A Cautionary Tale.

Hey all! First post.

As a recent 1st time BMW owner, I decided to upgrade my E90 head unit to an android unit.

Having settled on the Eonon GA9465, I set about searching for the best price. I came across a Junsun unit which appeared to be the exact same unit or at least a clone, under a different manufacturer name - as often happens with Chinese branded items. Jolly good, I thought.

All looked good, photos showed all features of the Eonon unit, and even showed the Android navigation icons etc. But about 50 cheaper! Happy days.

Wrong.

Identical hardware (externally at least) but the software was NOT Android - the UI was reminiscent of old cheap DVD players which are barely able to make the hardware function. Except it was so slow that the Satnav function never actually managed to finish searching for an address... No WIFI also.

Needless to say it was swiftly uninstalled, sent back, and I sprang the extra for the Eonon unit. Let this be a cautionary tale for anyone else who may think they've found a bargain...

Really happy with the GA9465. Installed AGAMA car launcher, which is a really smooth interface and dead easy to set up.

The only niggle I have is the boot time is a bit long when starting up from cold. I'm going to add on a reverse camera at some point, so I'll wire in a constant 12v while the head unit's out, so it never shuts down entirely and instead boots from stand-by which only takes a few seconds.

Also, the Eonon sound quality is head and shoulders above the base Professional stereo (2005 E90).

All-in-all, The Eonon is well worth the investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:32 AM   #2
RocknRollOutlaw
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91 335i 6MT

Hello, I don't suppose that you managed to get the unit and climate control panel flush with the dashboard? I'm pretty sure all these android units are the same dimensions but it doesn't matter what I do I just cannot get the climate control panel to not stick out.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The only one that doesn't it the new Dynavin's as far as I know.
It's been a long time since I looked at that though.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 02:14 AM   #4
RocknRollOutlaw
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91 335i 6MT

Yes that's what I thought as they don't have a CD player.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
sfinxvc
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Q for anyone that knows, does this HU turn on/off WITH the car? As in, does it draw power when the car's off?

If a constant 12V is wired from the battery to keep it in stand-by mode, doesn't it have the potential to drain the battery while the car is off/unused for long periods of time?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
andy_06xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

If the wiring harness is not modified -- the unit goes fully off with the car (after about 20 min.) This leads to a delay on start-up as Android re-boots.

I modified the harness to provide power from the battery so the unit is kept in stand-by to avoid this delay. I did keep the CAN-bus interface powered by the ignition.

I haven't had any issues with battery drain. I recently hurt my back and didn't drive for a week. No issues. I don't think stand-by takes much power.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
sfinxvc
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Thanks andy_06xi - about how long does it take to start up from cold?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #8
Solze90
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRollOutlaw View Post
Hello, I don't suppose that you managed to get the unit and climate control panel flush with the dashboard? I'm pretty sure all these android units are the same dimensions but it doesn't matter what I do I just cannot get the climate control panel to not stick out.
The CC bezel did come nicely flush with the head unit with some jiggling, but it does stick out from the dash panel at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfinxvc View Post
Q for anyone that knows, does this HU turn on/off WITH the car? As in, does it draw power when the car's off?

If a constant 12V is wired from the battery to keep it in stand-by mode, doesn't it have the potential to drain the battery while the car is off/unused for long periods of time?

Thanks.
Yeah it stays in standby drawing low power, and then shuts off completely after 20-30 minutes as the harness power goes off. Startup from cold (including spotify load time) is about 45 seconds.

I'm also considering wiring in a constant 12v so that it stays in standby to avoid cold boots. Maybe I'll put in a killswitch for if it's going to be sat on the drive a good while. I heard someone else mention triggering startup by unlocking the car, which would get it booted up a bit quicker but not need a constant 12v.
Appreciate 0