E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 OEM unit suggestions

05-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
JRW1979
Rep
Drives: E90 330 M Sport

E90 OEM unit suggestions

Hi guys, I've just picked up an E90 330 without idrive. I've got a phone button on my steering wheel but no Bluetooth. considering popping down to Halford and pricing up an OEM unit.

is that the logical place to do an install or is there anyone Midlands based that you'd recommend?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW1979 View Post
Hi guys, I've just picked up an E90 330 without idrive. I've got a phone button on my steering wheel but no Bluetooth. considering popping down to Halford and pricing up an OEM unit.

is that the logical place to do an install or is there anyone Midlands based that you'd recommend?
Do you really want to stay OEM?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

About 12 years ago I upgraded my 2006 330Xi to get a bluetooth phone interface using the OEM route via TCU + microphone + BT antenna + coding + new overhead panel. Cost about $600 after getting pretty good deals on used parts.

Last year I replaced the whole system with a Eonon 9465. Besides a bluetooth phone, I now have bluetooth music + rear view camera + Navigation via Google Maps + instrument display via Torque + a whole lot more. Total cost was about $500 (including camera, Logic 7 interface, coding to eliminate a Logic 7 error, new climate control panel to preserve the heated seat button).

I suggest you skip the 1st step and go straight to the Eonon.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The cheap way out for phone usb sd streaming and another aux
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ight=bluetooth

If you want OEM and it has the pre wiring buy a used mulf 2 hi and have
a local coder code it in .

Last edited by ctuna; 05-19-2021 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #5
sam9116
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ​

depending on what wiring you have you can go either MULF or TCU, but since you're in the UK there is no guarantee you have wiring for either. Check under your trunk cover and vehicle option codes by VIN

A used TCU/MULF is relatively cheap on ebay. And coding can be done through NCSExpert.

Regardless of what module you decide to use, you will need to a bluetooth antenna and a microphone.
You might also have to repin a white socket buried in the glovebox for your microphone to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:15 PM   #6
sam9116
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
About 12 years ago I upgraded my 2006 330Xi to get a bluetooth phone interface using the OEM route via TCU + microphone + BT antenna + coding + new overhead panel. Cost about $600 after getting pretty good deals on used parts.

Last year I replaced the whole system with a Eonon 9465. Besides a bluetooth phone, I now have bluetooth music + rear view camera + Navigation via Google Maps + instrument display via Torque + a whole lot more. Total cost was about $500 (including camera, Logic 7 interface, coding to eliminate a Logic 7 error, new climate control panel to preserve the heated seat button).

I suggest you skip the 1st step and go straight to the Eonon.
you absolutely don't need a new overhead panel, a microphone will suffice, all panel comes with space to install microphone
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

My recollection (it was 12 years ago) was that a panel with the 'SOS' button was needed to make the coding work. Perhaps a clever coder could get it to work with the existing 'FZD' overhead panel -- but that was the coding state-of-the-art 12 years ago. I agree there was no mechanical reason for new overhead panel.

I was able to re-use the BMW microphone that I added to then new overhead panel with the Eonon unit, rather than using the Eonon supplied mic (and trying to find a place to mount it).

If the OP doesn't have a fiber-optic (Logic 7) system, the Eonon install cost would be cheaper (sub $300). Also if he doesn't have heated seats (or is content to use the Eonon menu system to activate them - rather than with a hard button) -- that would save some cost and effort as well. In such a system, the Eonon is pretty much plug-and-play, aside from rear-camera install/wiring.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #8
sam9116
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
My recollection (it was 12 years ago) was that a panel with the 'SOS' button was needed to make the coding work. Perhaps a clever coder could get it to work with the existing 'FZD' overhead panel -- but that was the coding state-of-the-art 12 years ago. I agree there was no mechanical reason for new overhead panel.

I was able to re-use the BMW microphone that I added to then new overhead panel with the Eonon unit, rather than using the Eonon supplied mic (and trying to find a place to mount it).

If the OP doesn't have a fiber-optic (Logic 7) system, the Eonon install cost would be cheaper (sub $300). Also if he doesn't have heated seats (or is content to use the Eonon menu system to activate them - rather than with a hard button) -- that would save some cost and effort as well. In such a system, the Eonon is pretty much plug-and-play, aside from rear-camera install/wiring.
All e90s came with fibre optic systems regardless if it was equipped with Logic 7, although the wiring for each separate module is not guaranteed.

from what I can tell in the coding, there is an option in the TCU (although the unit I had was made in 2009, 2006 unit could be different) to select whether or not your car is equipped with an SOS button... (also interestingly, option to disable/enable automatic emergency call after airbags deployed... if you're actually unconscious you wouldn't be able to press the SOS button anyway)

not that it matters now in NA... I think BMW already disabled the program in 2016, since the 2G technology the SOS button relies on was being phased out.

Last edited by sam9116; 05-25-2021 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0