E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 Possible Blown Head Gasket?

10-30-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
tobeydw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

N52 Possible Blown Head Gasket?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could tell me if I have a blown head gasket..

When I first bought the car at 109k miles, the radiator was cracked and was losing coolant. Not sure if the previous owner ever drove it for prolonged amounts of time with it overheating.

Anyways, I've recently done a major overhaul on the entire car:

Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Valve cover gasket & Eccentric shaft sensor
Water pump & thermostat
Idler pulley, tensioner, serpentine belt
PCV system overhaul (new hoses and PCV)
Radiator & upper radiator hoses (I do have a small leak from the auxiliary fan switch on the lower radiator hose, but nothing too major)

However, my mechanic thinks the head gasket may be blown for the following reasons:

1. He used a Combustion Leak Test Fluid: https://www.harborfreight.com/combus...RoCeKMQAvD_BwE

This was used in the expansion tank to detect oil in presence of coolant. There was oil in the coolant, but this was directly after the oil filter housing gasket change, which was changed for the first time at 112k miles so I'm not sure how conclusive that is for the head gasket.

2. There is small amounts of white smoke that come from the tailpipe upon cold starts

3. The expansion tank gets pressurized extremely quickly. After 1 minute of the car being on, when he took off the expansion tank cap, it's extremely pressurized even though it shouldn't be for such a small amount of time.

4. I'm losing a relatively large amount of coolant still even though I have no leaks in my hoses nor radiator (apart from the small leak from the o-ring in the auxiliary fan switch in the lower radiator hose)

The last thing we're doing is a compression test tomorrow, but if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what else it could be, or if it for sure IS the head gasket, that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0