E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMWhat Carly Killed Lighting System

10-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #45
grussauto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

My wife has a 2010 Mini Clubman. I used Carly to change a few settings in the FRM with battery power back up. Yesterday she was leaving for work at 5:00am and I noticed no tail lights and no brake lights, although the third brake light works. I pulled codes and they are for tail light failure. Searching on the Mini forums there are several other owners that lost lighting functions using Carly. I am starting to feel like I should just use Carly to pull codes. I will not use it to code anymore for sure.
      10-10-2015, 03:37 AM   #46
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussauto
My wife has a 2010 Mini Clubman. I used Carly to change a few settings in the FRM with battery power back up. Yesterday she was leaving for work at 5:00am and I noticed no tail lights and no brake lights, although the third brake light works. I pulled codes and they are for tail light failure. Searching on the Mini forums there are several other owners that lost lighting functions using Carly. I am starting to feel like I should just use Carly to pull codes. I will not use it to code anymore for sure.
This sounds like short circuit counter is full for those bulbs. Nothing to do with Carly. Read Codes and see what errors are being thrown.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #47
grussauto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
This sounds like short circuit counter is full for those bulbs. Nothing to do with Carly. Read Codes and see what errors are being thrown.
Fussraummodul /FRM:
- Fault: tail light
- Code: 00A8B9
- Fault: tail light
- Code: 00A8BA
- Fault: Rear fog light broken right
- Code: 00A8C0
- Fault: Rear fog light broken left
- Code: 00A8BF
- Fault: Taillight broken
- Code: 00A8C1

I removed the tail lights and checked each bulb and the bulb sockets with an ohm meter. Both tail lights are good. Reverse light and both turn signals work.
What is the short circuit counter and what is the fix?
      10-13-2015, 01:07 AM   #48
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

I'm not saying it 100% is. However it's worth a go with the symptoms you've given.

Short Circuit Counter is reset with Tool32 from BMW Standard Tools with a K+DCAN cable.

When in Tool32 select FRM_XX (whatever FRM you have) then run job:
_reset_kurzschluss_sperre with the lamp ID of the faulty lights in the argument field. So for you I guess it's...

Tails
0x11
0x12
0x13
0x14

Rear Fogs
0x17
0x18

Lamp ID Lamp Fixture
0x00 High Beam, Left or E92/3 Cornering Light
0x01 High Beam, Right or E92/3 Cornering Light
0x02 Low Beam, Left
0x03 Low Beam, Right
0x04 Parking Light, Left
0x05 Parking Light, Right
0x06 Fog Light, Left, Front
0x07 Fog Light, Right, Front
0x08 Turn Signal, Left, Front
0x09 Turn Signal, Right, Front
0x0A Turn Signal, Left, Rear
0x0B Turn Signal, Right, Rear
0x0C Unassigned 1
0x0D Lighting WBL Button?
0x0E Brake Light, Left
0x0F Brake Light, Right
0x10 Brake Light, Center
0x11 Taillight/Brake Light, Left 1 or E92/3 Daytime Running Light
0x12 Taillight/Brake Light, Right 1 or E92/3 Daytime Running Light
0x13 Taillight/Brake Light, Left 2
0x14 Taillight/Brake Light, Right 2
0x15 Licence Plate Lighting
0x16 Interior Lighting
0x17 Fog Light, Left, Rear
0x18 Fog Light, Right, Rear
0x19 Reverse Light, Left
0x1A Reverse Light, Right
0x1B Brake Force Display, Left
0x1C Brake Force Display, Right
0x1D Clamp 58g
0x1E LED Driving Lights Control
0x1F LED Front Field Illumination
0xFF Unknown Lamp
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #49
powerhouse_b
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Does reading or erasing codes affect the FRM module in anyway? Or are the fault codes saved in a completely different module? Just trying to determine how safe it would be to read / erase codes with Carly.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #50
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhouse_b View Post
Does reading or erasing codes affect the FRM module in anyway? Or are the fault codes saved in a completely different module? Just trying to determine how safe it would be to read / erase codes with Carly.
It does not affect the module in anyway besides of course changing values such as active to no-active and vice versa via coding. Only thing to be aware of is not to disrupt the coding process in anyway when it is in progress as it could potentially error out and cause the module to malfunction. I use iCarly with the adapter for my 07 as I cannot code without it (using icarly, I know of ncsexpert way as well but wanted something quick to check BMW specific codes and little coding needs like auto locking doors when holding lock). So far have had 0 issues with lighting going out. I'm going to be resetting my FRM module this weekend to get my Driver's side AE (Angel Eye) back on. Good luck! The Carly tool is great for a quick diag with BMW specific codes as well. If you require further diangosing I would suggest picking up a OBD2 to USB adapter, a laptop, and your favorite hypervisor with windows XP on it, Get the BMW standard tools and use tool32 to reset the FRM modules as the Carly tool cannot reset hard codes in the system as it does not pick them up.

Good luck!

335i Manual Swap Project http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207505

Last edited by nick380; 10-13-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #51
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
I have coded many used FRM modules and have been able to re-write VIN and VO/FA successfully. It's doable.
If I sent you mine, can you repair it? I've since had mine replaced but I don't wanna toss a $500 part from BMW if it's a simple software issue that I could get you or someone else to fix and be able to sell it to someone who needs one.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #52
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

While I haven't been using iCarly, I've recently had an FRM3 module failure in my 2010 X5M. Mine failed during a two week timeframe while I was replacing my fuel injectors and had the front window (rain and auto high beam sensors) replaced and at some point the battery was drained completely.

While I can't say it's in anyway relatable to the FRM failure, I coded mine using Carista and a generic OBDII dongle that I've had and used on other cars for a few years now. I used Carista to code windows up via remote, mirrors in and out when locking or unlocking the car, double hazard flashers and fender marker lights on as daytime running lights...worked without a hitch for over a week.

During the two weeks time that the truck was down, I had it on a trickle charger, but to my own fault, I had the trickle charger connected to a switched outlet, so ultimately the trickle charger is probably what drained the battery. The window was replaced mid week, I'd switched the ignition on and off for random things, but never started due to injectors being replaced and installed catless downpipes.

Fast forward a week later (I work a lot), injectors and downpipes are in, battery put back into truck (charged it on a bench overnight to get a quicker charge) and the battery was still too low. Jumping from the GF's Scion didn't work, swapping in her battery still wasn't enough to turn it over, finally pulled the battery from my Harley F150 and it was barely enough to start this beast. Car fires up and then I'm flooded with error messages from ABS and Traction Control (solved by turning the wheel lock to lock) and "Lighting System! DO NOT DRIVE" warning coupled with no control over my headlights, marker lights, turn signals, power mirrors and power windows. Push came to shove and I took it to my buddy who works at BMW and he was able to fix it as a side job. This sidejob entailed him installing a used FRM that had a door open error, but everything else started working not normally. He then installed a new module and it failed right away! Ends up BMW dealerships treat these modules like their commonly known to fail injectors..use old stock before ordering new stock. He ordered a new module which, just like the injectors, came out with a newer revision. He puts it in, codes the car and everything is back as it should be.

Having a new module in there means everything I coded was lost. I tried using the same Carista app and dongle, only to have It read up to 38% and then say that my car isn't compatible. I wrote the creator (who happens to be my buddy), send him logs and ends there's specs on my FRM3 were higher than his app was at, so he's adding my revision level and it should work again. I'll update once I get it coded again.

Last edited by m5james; 10-13-2015 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #53
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
I have coded many used FRM modules and have been able to re-write VIN and VO/FA successfully. It's doable.
If I sent you mine, can you repair it? I've since had mine replaced but I don't wanna toss a $500 part from BMW if it's a simple software issue that I could get you or someone else to fix and be able to sell it to someone who needs one.
All he did was to fit and code a used FRM. If yours is bricked the only way to repair it would be to write a virgin dump to it using a suitable chip programmer. There are several companies on the Internet who advertise this service.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #54
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

There are also people who sound like they're doing this from their own home, so if I can have a non-company do it for far less or even free, I'd rather do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #55
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
No. I do not have an external CAN network setup where I can flash or code the FRM on a bench nor am I willing to install your module in a car and do it that way.

Sorry

You can try to recover the module via NFS. Then default it with NCS Expert.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #56
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You're talking Spanish to me, hence why I asked. I've gotten other offers for assistance, so I may go that route. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #57
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

In my case, the windows were down and there was no way I could drive with temps in the 40's in the morning, and of course, rain, while I waited for somebody to recode an FRM.

The only thing I've coded since I got it back from repair was the digital speedometer with correction. I'm terrified to do anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #58
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

My FRM fried itself after connecting ISTA-D (Rheingold) while it was doing the bus querry (read faults of all modules). Battery was at 12.9 V with charger connected.
To me that sounds like the FRM has a SW bug that under certain conditions corrupts it's own EEPROM. This should be a warranty repair from BMW with free replacement. Let's all call BMW USA and make a fuzz about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #59
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds
My FRM fried itself after connecting ISTA-D (Rheingold) while it was doing the bus querry (read faults of all modules). Battery was at 12.9 V with charger connected.
To me that sounds like the FRM has a SW bug that under certain conditions corrupts it's own EEPROM. This should be a warranty repair from BMW with free replacement. Let's all call BMW USA and make a fuzz about it.
The FRM is not the problem. The problem is too many people coding / programming without a suitable power supply connected. Battery charger will not be sufficient.

BMW software need 13-15 volts stable when performing these operations.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #60
Speakski
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 2009

bmw carly fried my lighting frm unit

Hi all I am new to the forum and thought id share my experience with carly (Bmwhat).

So I paid for the full app and had the correct carly adapter. I had the engine running and I ran a diagnostic.

Then it all went wrong. like others in this thread I had a window down, could not put it up also all lights were out on instrument cluster. indicators did not work.

I had to remove the door panel and put direct voltage onto the window motor to get it up as a mini monsoon arrived.

long and short of it BMW just charged me £660 to replace a fried frm3 module.

I didn't try to code anything just run a diagnostic.

how this happened I do not know but was a very expensive mistake. I got a refund for the app and posting the adapter back to amazon.

I phoned the carly team and when they knew the frm was fried I never heard another word.

thanks for looking and I hope this helps anyone out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #61
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

For the record, it seems Carista does much of the same and it didn't fry either of my modules...my module failure was due to stupidity on my part by letting the battery die and repeated jumpstart failures. I've since coded my new FRM3 module, which BMW knows are high failing devices, with the latest version and I've had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #62
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

My carly dongle is safely housed in my home. I refuse to use it due to the high risk involved.

If anybody wants mine, you can have it for the cost of shipping from Pennsylvania.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #63
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
Exactly why Carly should be avoided. It is convenient but look at the side effects of when it will (inevitably) fail. From the response earlier from the company, it sounds like they are just trying to cover their own asses
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #64
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich123321
Exactly why Carly should be avoided. It is convenient but look at the side effects of when it will (inevitably) fail. From the response earlier from the company, it sounds like they are just trying to cover their own asses
I've coded a many FRMs with NCS and no bricks yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #65
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

wildcatcrazy As did I. But one day, whamo, and my FRM was fried.

I've been in the IT industry for about 25 years, and my intuition tells me it's an issue with the BMW firmware as opposed to the hardware. Regardless, the Carly does seem to have thrown a lot of FRMs into "boat anchor" mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #66
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

From my experience it is always a low battery issue, not the app or cable.