E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD "take a look at my log" thread

06-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #4775
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
hehe i am comparing too logs time on RPM ranges or speed when it has been ticked, and on mine too the V9 is faster than the V7 but i also prefer the feeling of the V7, will probably try again V9, and V10 should arrive soon

there is this V10 log from another forum :

https://datazap.me/u/prettyatc/log-1...ta=3-4-9-22-30

i wonder if this person has a boost leak problem or something else but WGDC is crazy high at the end of the pull
It's possible he has some sort of boost leak, but targeting almost 18psi up top on a stage 2+ 95 Oct map is too much for stock turbos in my opinion.

More likely stock turbos struggling to reach the boost target, hence WGDC is getting very high up top.

Would be interesting to see what Stage 1/1+/2 target in V10 maps

Last edited by Saif2018; 06-11-2021 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      06-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #4776
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
Looks fine to me, other than as you said the LTFT and corrections.

Been meaning to reflash for sport cooling in this weather, may go back to V9, your log shows you doing ~3k-6k like .6s faster than my last log.
Thanks mate, top end power definitely better on V9 but I feel like v7.1 had more low down power, from butt dyno though, lol ?
I joined the club when V9 was already out of beta so I started with it. I enjoyed it a lot, tried the V7 and definitely felt it had more low end grunt (which is nice for me, I don't get anywhere near redline usually unless i'm logging). When the rain lets up i'll flash V9 when I add sport cooling and give it another go.
      06-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #4777
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey.Harp View Post
Quote:
Hoooooollllyyy mother of codes. Best to first go back over your work on the LPFP. Something is definitely not right here.

Log shows no fuel pressure issues, so the pump must at least work, and pressure doesn't flatline as if you had a bad sensor reading 72. AFR even looks good. Your STFT look even waaay better than mine do. Okay wait, this log has to be from before the codes were thrown, right?
Yes. It was a few seconds before. I made logging for 3 times, this is the last one and then a few seconds after I have this s****t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018
Did you reset Throttle adaptations?
Yes. I did reset from mhd option. It start to do revs on start up and I did 30 pedal hold after that and it got fine. Then I was just cruising around for one day. Maybe I've done it the wrong way?

And the thing is - the smoke is always there. It was smoking before the lpfp swap and it does now. On low rpm cruising, on throttle press while idle but not on a hard test and logging.
You DIY'd the pump, correct? I'd definitely pull it and take a look. Based on how good that log looks (other than what looks like a boost leak up top in 2nd? Idk how MHD load by gear works so idk if it just keeps the same target but limits actual boost? I feel like just lowering target would be what they'd do, if you have it on) I'd guess you possibly popped off a fuel line, causing a plethora of codes or drew too much current and possibly fried the EKP? The 2DED makes me lean towards EKP…

Edit: Holy shit I didn't notice it before, 14.2v ?! Maybe my alternator is weak or something but I've never seen my voltage that high. Anyone else care to chime in? I usually see around mid-high 13s when driving
      06-12-2021, 01:35 AM   #4778
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Same here, voltage is around mid 13's to high 13's at best
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 02:52 AM   #4779
Grey.Harp
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i n54

Quote:
You DIY'd the pump, correct? I'd definitely pull it and take a look. Based on how good that log looks (other than what looks like a boost leak up top in 2nd? Idk how MHD load by gear works so idk if it just keeps the same target but limits actual boost? I feel like just lowering target would be what they'd do, if you have it on) I'd guess you possibly popped off a fuel line, causing a plethora of codes or drew too much current and possibly fried the EKP? The 2DED makes me lean towards EKP…

Edit: Holy shit I didn't notice it before, 14.2v ?! Maybe my alternator is weak or something but I've never seen my voltage that high. Anyone else care to chime in? I usually see around mid-high 13s when driving
Yes, it was DIY, what do you think I should look for? Fuel line bad connection?

I found a video on how to make ekp better cooling with thermal pads, will try that, but what about that voltage? Do I need some coding to lower it? Or is it fine to have those 14.2 values?

I will do a throttle reset again and relog, will see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:38 AM   #4780
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:

Voltage of 14.2 is fine when engine is running. Our cars have intelligent alternator control so if his battery charge is low then it'll be charging at 14v.

If charge is healthy it'll only top up charge when braking or coasting i think.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #4781
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Quote:

Voltage of 14.2 is fine when engine is running. Our cars have intelligent alternator control so if his battery charge is low then it'll be charging at 14v.

If charge is healthy it'll only top up charge when braking or coasting i think.
Makes sense, didn't figure it was harmful, just wasn't sure of the normality.
      06-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #4782
socalva
Rep
Drives: 135i, m340i

I've thrown a lot of money at this problem and I'm hoping someone can kindly look at my MHD log and let me know if anything jumps out at you? My turbo's are slow to spool and top out at 9-10PSI when target is 15. I also get shadow (inactive) 30FF, although I haven't triggered a full 30FF code even after hard mountain runs. I appreciate any help that I can get. I'm going to try replacing all vacuum lines this afternoon as well. My fuel trims look a little uneven so is it possible an injector or
injector seal is bad in bank 2? I used brand new seals before installing. I also see it goes into Fuel Mode 6 at the end of the pull

Mods:
N54 engine 124k miles
VRSF 5" IC
Tial BOV
VRSF chargepipe
MHD stage 1+ tune

Things that I've done within the last month:
Replaced both vanos solenoids
Replaced both boost controllers
Low mile (6k) used index 12 injectors (new seals, decouplers, and coding was done as well)
Reset adaptations
New Delphi coils
Spark plugs changed within the last 3k miles
Tightened all fittings, replaced charge pipe gasket as well
Walnut blast (about 3k ago)

MHD log:
https://datazap.me/u/socalva/n54-3rd...og=0&data=3-23

Last edited by socalva; 06-14-2021 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #4783
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalva View Post
I've thrown a lot of money at this problem and I'm hoping someone can kindly look at my MHD log and let me know if anything jumps out at you? My turbo's are slow to spool and top out at 9-10PSI when target is 15. I also get shadow (inactive) 30FF, although I haven't triggered a full 30FF code even after hard mountain runs. I appreciate any help that I can get. I'm going to try replacing all vacuum lines this afternoon as well. My fuel trims look a little uneven so is it possible an injector or
injector seal is bad in bank 2? I used brand new seals before installing. I also see it goes into Fuel Mode 6 at the end of the pull

Mods:
N54 engine 124k miles
VRSF 5" IC
Tial BOV
VRSF chargepipe
MHD stage 1+ tune

Things that I've done within the last month:
Replaced both vanos solenoids
Replaced both boost controllers
Low mile (6k) used index 12 injectors (new seals, decouplers, and coding was done as well)
Reset adaptations
New Delphi coils
Spark plugs changed within the last 3k miles
Tightened all fittings, replaced charge pipe gasket as well

MHD log:
https://datazap.me/u/socalva/n54-3rd...og=0&data=3-23
Was gonna say that looks like a massive boost leak, but your WGDC is maxing out around 55% which is normal for Stage 1+. Would expect a boost leak to cause WGDC to spike.

I don't think fuel trims are causing your boost issues. Your Turbos could be knackered worst case but assume boost leak and replace vacuum lines and check the cannisters and connection points and your BOV first.

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n54-30ff-en...-repair-guide/

Last edited by Saif2018; 06-14-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #4784
socalva
Rep

Quote:
Was gonna say that looks like a massive boost leak, but your WGDC is maxing out around 55% which is normal for Stage 1+. Would expect a boost leak to cause WGDC to spike.

I don't think fuel trims are causing your boost issues. Your Turbos could be knackered worst case but assume boost leak and replace vacuum lines and check the cannisters and connection points and your BOV first.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm hoping it's a boost leak, or some kind of vacuum problem. The turbos have no wastegate rattle, and were hitting boost target no problem a few months ago, although they still spooled slower than other N54's I did side by side drive tests with. I'll check out that link and go down the list - I havent tried adjusting the actuators yet since I dont have any rattle, but maybe I should give that a try this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #4785
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm hoping it's a boost leak, or some kind of vacuum problem. The turbos have no wastegate rattle, and were hitting boost target no problem a few months ago, although they still spooled slower than other N54's I did side by side drive tests with. I'll check out that link and go down the list - I havent tried adjusting the actuators yet since I dont have any rattle, but maybe I should give that a try this weekend.
I notice you don't have downpipes, in that case you likely have rattle, it's just not very audible. You can reach down and grab the rear wastegate pretty easy, pull it towards the fender and push towards the engine, it likely will move a good bit.
      06-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #4786
socalva
Rep

Quote:
I notice you don't have downpipes, in that case you likely have rattle, it's just not very audible. You can reach down and grab the rear wastegate pretty easy, pull it towards the fender and push towards the engine, it likely will move a good bit.
Thanks Dave. I'll probably give it a shot this weekend. Looking at adjustment
videos on YT doesnt seem so bad for the rear, but pretty tricky for the front
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      06-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #4787
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Dave. I'll probably give it a shot this weekend. Looking at adjustment
videos on YT doesnt seem so bad for the rear, but pretty tricky for the front
Yeah, sadly. I'm 90% sure most if not all of my rattle is the front turbo. I've been under the impression that it cannot be done without removal of the turbo, but i'd love to be wrong if you find a way.
      06-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #4788
socalva
Rep

I replaced all vacuum lines and it made no difference. They were all in surprisingly good condition for being original 2008 lines, per the date codes. I did reach down and move the actuator arms around and you guys are right that they have play, although I'm not sure what 'normal' amount of play I should expect, but I'll assume it's more than spec - i'd say it wiggles at least 1/8-1/4 of an inch. I'll try adjusting them, but I may just bite the bullet and pay for the turbos to be replaced. I'm looking at either Pure Stage 1 or the Turbo Labs upgraded turbos (similar to the Dinan turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #4789
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I replaced all vacuum lines and it made no difference. They were all in surprisingly good condition for being original 2008 lines, per the date codes. I did reach down and move the actuator arms around and you guys are right that they have play, although I'm not sure what 'normal' amount of play I should expect, but I'll assume it's more than spec - i'd say it wiggles at least 1/8-1/4 of an inch. I'll try adjusting them, but I may just bite the bullet and pay for the turbos to be replaced. I'm looking at either Pure Stage 1 or the Turbo Labs upgraded turbos (similar to the Dinan turbos)
RB OEM Billets with uprated wastegates are also an option,
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #4790
bill3rdshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

~~~~~

Last edited by bill3rdshift; 06-16-2021 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Duplicate Post
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #4791
hioctane90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Hello everyone! I'm new to the community. I've been messing around with my e92 for the past few months repairing and upgrading everything. As it sit now the car is running FBO, DAW, 775rs turbo, and a fuel it stage 2 bucketless. I recently just contacted wedge who was kind enough to send me a base tune to start getting the car where we want it. I was going over the datalog and it looks to me like somethings are off. The lpfp seems to be dipping pretty low I feel and would like a second opinion. Thanks for your guys help.

https://datazap.me/u/hioctane90/2021...og=0&data=3-18
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #4792
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hioctane90 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new to the community. I've been messing around with my e92 for the past few months repairing and upgrading everything. As it sit now the car is running FBO, DAW, 775rs turbo, and a fuel it stage 2 bucketless. I recently just contacted wedge who was kind enough to send me a base tune to start getting the car where we want it. I was going over the datalog and it looks to me like somethings are off. The lpfp seems to be dipping pretty low I feel and would like a second opinion. Thanks for your guys help.

https://datazap.me/u/hioctane90/2021...&data=3-18
I'm on my phone so of course datazap is being wonky but it looked to me like it dropped down to 53? That's definitely too low
      06-16-2021, 05:42 AM   #4793
hioctane90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
I'm on my phone so of course datazap is being wonky but it looked to me like it dropped down to 53? That's definitely too low
So funny thing this morning. That log I did was a few days old and up until yesterday the lpfp was dipping high 40s to low 50s. But I disconnected the battery to do some work yesterday after that didn't drive it. This morning the lpfp stayed in the 60 to 70 range. So I'll do a new long this evening and upload that assuming the pressure doesn't drop down again or something crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #4794
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Timing Corrections in 4th WOT?

https://datazap.me/u/gster/3rd-4th-w...og=0&data=3-22

Anyone know what to make of this?

This is my first semi proper log on the car so ANY input would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Car is FBO stage 2 MHD V7
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #4795
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gster109 View Post
https://datazap.me/u/gster/3rd-4th-w...og=0&data=3-22

Anyone know what to make of this?

This is my first semi proper log on the car so ANY input would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Car is FBO stage 2 MHD V7
Honestly this is an odd log, if you're 6mt do you double clutch? There is really long periods of "gear 0" lol
You also really should be doing this in 3rd.

Looking at what we have, boost looks pretty good, it's not right on target but it's close. AFRs look pretty normal as well. Fuel pressure is good, short term trims look good too. Try logging LTFT next time, should peg at 0 during the pull.

You have some pretty bad timing corrections once you get into 5th though, literally every cylinder and and they're all -3 or greater, cyl6 hit -6. If I had to guess, they're gonna be plug, octane, or IAT related. I wanna lean towards octane bc you're only on 91, though IAT at like 110F is getting close to very hot.

Another thing I noticed is it seems a little slow? I'm on 1+ and 5200 rpm in 4th i'm easily doing over 110mph (though I'm 99% sure top of 3rd is like 95 for me), you're doing ~100 at the top of 4th.

Did you possibly upload the wrong log? I see you titled it 3rd-4th but according to the log this is definitely 4th-5th.
      06-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #4796
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hioctane90 View Post
So funny thing this morning. That log I did was a few days old and up until yesterday the lpfp was dipping high 40s to low 50s. But I disconnected the battery to do some work yesterday after that didn't drive it. This morning the lpfp stayed in the 60 to 70 range. So I'll do a new long this evening and upload that assuming the pressure doesn't drop down again or something crazy
That's definitely an interesting one. Please quote this if it ever goes back down again, really curious about this tbh.