E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Duraflex kit???

03-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
///MD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: panamera

Duraflex kit???

How do these hold up. They are cheaper which is great but are you getting an inferior product? Anyone know about duraflex kits? What are kits normally made of?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
m3mobbin@RPI
Rep
Drives: 332ti, 328i, 328ci

Duraflex is a supposedly more flexible version of fiberglass, which many "body kit" manufacturers are now advertising as a cheaper replacement for plastics such as polyurethane and polypropylene.

I would say it is safe to use for sideskirts, spoilers, and rear bumpers, if you can actually find a part that fits right. But I would not recommend it for anything that would ever come in contact with the ground, curbs, etc. I'm sure you've seen plenty of tuner cars with chipping/cracked fiberglass parts.

Fiberglass/duraflex/& even CF doesn't not stand up to impacts anywhere as well as plastic. They may be structurally stronger but no where near as flexible.
Appreciate 0