E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > New guy in Denver

05-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
MrBreeze
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e92

New guy in Denver

I also wanted to introduce myself to the Rocky Mountain area. Looking for a great shop to get my girl running perfect. Some meet ups would also be grand.

What are some killer roads heading west for day trips? Last week went thru Boulder west into the Mnts. My GF said the smile was ear to ear. Which is rare for me. The downhill assist has to be one of the greatest features on the car thus far. Perfect for the mountains!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Welcome. Lots of good roads around here to blast on or just cruise.

Downhill assist? I've never used it, even in my old E92 328xi.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
losingmylycosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Coloradobmwgroupe/ Join up if you havent already. Welcome!

05-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Like I mentioned in the other thread, lots of folks use AR Design. There are some other excellent shops in Denver too, but I'm in the Springs so I'll let others chime in. Looks like losingmylycosa brought up the FB group too - great for get together, for sale, etc. There's also the upcoming 4-corners drive/meet:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954356

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
MrBreeze
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Downhill assist?
Maybe Im calling it something different. When the CC is on it holds the speed downhill. My lexus had something similar but didnt work any where near this 328I. The first mountain I hit coming back from TX the car just hung perfectly on high grade interstate. Big Fan! My dodge truck can get scary just smoking the breaks all the way down! lol

Im not a big FB person, sorry. I like to keep a low profile and dont care for any one on FB to know what kind of car I drive or how I live my life. I am, however, totally down for Pagosa Springs. That looks like fun. Lets hope I can get to the bumpers before so I dont embarrass myself. Looks like a ton of nice BMWs. I almost bought a 850 instead but was worried about maintenance.

Thank you rich... I sent an email to AF and will try to touch base with them this week!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
tschultz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E24 635CSi, E28 535i, M5

Garage List
Sounds great, the BMW club also does BMW Burger gatherings, unfortunately a bunch of forums are slowing down due to the facebook information.

The nice thing about it is if you meet car guys and friend them, their posts will pop up on your facebook feed. So I think that elimination of 'work' / checking for new replys is obsoleting regional forums...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
Maybe Im calling it something different. When the CC is on it holds the speed downhill. My lexus had something similar but didnt work any where near this 328I. The first mountain I hit coming back from TX the car just hung perfectly on high grade interstate. Big Fan! My dodge truck can get scary just smoking the breaks all the way down! lol

Im not a big FB person, sorry. I like to keep a low profile and dont care for any one on FB to know what kind of car I drive or how I live my life. I am, however, totally down for Pagosa Springs. That looks like fun. Lets hope I can get to the bumpers before so I dont embarrass myself. Looks like a ton of nice BMWs. I almost bought a 850 instead but was worried about maintenance.

Thank you rich... I sent an email to AF and will try to touch base with them this week!
How steep are these mountain roads you found, and how slow are you going down them? The Hill Descent Control only works up to 37 mph according to BMW's website. I'm curious because I've never used that feature in my car. Although my 335 is a 6MT. Not sure why a manual needs that feature.
      05-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
How steep are these mountain roads you found, and how slow are you going down them? The Hill Descent Control only works up to 37 mph according to BMW's website. I'm curious because I've never used that feature in my car. Although my 335 is a 6MT. Not sure why a manual needs that feature.
It isn't hill descent control, just part of the E90's cruise control system. It has had it since the original E90 (my 330i did it) and my 335i does it now too. Here is exactly what the manual says:

Cruise control*
The concept
Cruise control is available for use at speeds of
approx. 20 mph or 30 km/h. The car then stores
and maintains the speed that you specify using
the lever on the steering column. In order to
maintain the specified speed, the system
brakes the vehicle when the engine braking
effect is insufficient on downhill gradients.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
MrBreeze
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Ive tried it twice thus far. First, coming from New Mexico north on the I25. That first range on mountains my car just hang at the exact speed. Not that amazing. Last week I took a road outside of boulder. Steep and windy for sure. On the way down I played around with it. Seemed to work pretty well...but I did get bored and just use the 6mt.
Appreciate 0