E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How do I check a vehicles “I-Level Data Status”?

03-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

How do I check a vehicles “I-Level Data Status”?

I have the bimmer geeks software suite and cable but have never used it. I’m having an issue which triggers a SES light on my car and I see there was a TSB issued when I was researching. So the TSB says:

“Compare the vehicle’s I-Level data status to the chart below. If a lower level is in the vehicle, program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.41.3. or later.”

Which software from the bimmer geeks free downloads do I use to perform this operation? And is there a way to load the newest version if needed without going to the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I have the bimmer geeks software suite and cable but have never used it. I'm having an issue which triggers a SES light on my car and I see there was a TSB issued when I was researching. So the TSB says:

"Compare the vehicle's I-Level data status to the chart below. If a lower level is in the vehicle, program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.41.3. or later."

Which software from the bimmer geeks free downloads do I use to perform this operation? And is there a way to load the newest version if needed without going to the dealership?
To see I level easiest was is run the i_stufe_lesen job in tool32. Its in the chassis prg file. So e89.prg

You'll get the WERK, HO and HO BACKUP I levels returned...

I don't know bimmergeeks app. Maybe it has something similar.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      03-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

You can read I level with both Inpa and Ista D
and also I believe there is some kind way to read it directly from the
car though the Kombi.

Using Ista P is not what I would do if your new to coding.
You need a big power supply and you have to make sure you have the
right level of software and you may need and ICOM cable.

Also I would perform normal diagnostic functions before I would go blaming the software. Software does not normally cause SES failures.
Get Ista D running and perform diagnostics.
Have you established what the fail codes actually are?

Last edited by ctuna; 03-24-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      03-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Have any dealer read your key, Your I-level is on the keyread info
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      03-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I have the bimmer geeks software suite and cable but have never used it. I’m having an issue which triggers a SES light on my car and I see there was a TSB issued when I was researching. So the TSB says: “Compare the vehicle’s I-Level data status to the chart below. If a lower level is in the vehicle, program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.41.3. or later.”
Perhaps I'm missing something, BUT I don't understand WHY you believe you need to "update" programming in ANY module. If you have NEVER used diagnostic software such as INPA or ISTA before, have you ever used a simple P-code reader, or do you have access to one?

If the SES light is on, there is at least one Fault Code saved in the DME (Engine Control Unit) which any generic P-code reader can probably read. What Fault Code(s) are you seeing? Does the vehicle have any performance issues, and if so, please describe in detail? If you don't have a simple P-code reader, your local Autozone will read P-codes by connecting to your OBD II Socket in 3 minutes or less. Ask for Freeze Frame Data as well. Just take a camera with you to take a photo of each screen showing a fault, or FF Data (so you don't have to write anything down) and attach a jpg file of that photo to your post here.

If you simply want to get started using BMW Standard Tools (one of the BimmerGeeks downloads) with your K+DCAN cable, so you can read Fault Codes in ANY of the ~ 20 control modules in your vehicle (of which the DME is just ONE), let us know. My impression from what you have posted so far is that you do NOT need to worry about NEW PROGRAMMING of any module.

If you install BMW Standard Tools properly on a Windows 10 laptop, and have the BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable, INPA will give you all the Fault Code information you need, including Freeze Frame Data or Fault Details, and it also allows a LOT of other diagnostic capability, such as reading sensor signals, monitoring or Activating motors such as fuel pump, coolant pump, etc.

You SHOULD seek some assistance to quickly guide you through (1) installing the software on your laptop, (2) connecting to your vehicle, (3) selecting the proper screen to get Fault Codes, and (4) translating German to English as needed, so post back with more specific indication of WHERE you are in that process, and WHAT help you seek.

RANT: It's a "guy thing" on forums such as this to NOT ask for assistance or admit (even to oneself) what we DON'T know. NOBODY knows everything about ANYTHING. Don't be afraid to assess & admit limits of knowledge.

George
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, BUT I don't understand WHY you believe you need to "update" programming in ANY module. If you have NEVER used diagnostic software such as INPA or ISTA before, have you ever used a simple P-code reader, or do you have access to one?

If the SES light is on, there is at least one Fault Code saved in the DME (Engine Control Unit) which any generic P-code reader can probably read. What Fault Code(s) are you seeing? Does the vehicle have any performance issues, and if so, please describe in detail? If you don't have a simple P-code reader, your local Autozone will read P-codes by connecting to your OBD II Socket in 3 minutes or less. Ask for Freeze Frame Data as well. Just take a camera with you to take a photo of each screen showing a fault, or FF Data (so you don't have to write anything down) and attach a jpg file of that photo to your post here.

If you simply want to get started using BMW Standard Tools (one of the BimmerGeeks downloads) with your K+DCAN cable, so you can read Fault Codes in ANY of the ~ 20 control modules in your vehicle (of which the DME is just ONE), let us know. My impression from what you have posted so far is that you do NOT need to worry about NEW PROGRAMMING of any module.

If you install BMW Standard Tools properly on a Windows 10 laptop, and have the BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable, INPA will give you all the Fault Code information you need, including Freeze Frame Data or Fault Details, and it also allows a LOT of other diagnostic capability, such as reading sensor signals, monitoring or Activating motors such as fuel pump, coolant pump, etc.

You SHOULD seek some assistance to quickly guide you through (1) installing the software on your laptop, (2) connecting to your vehicle, (3) selecting the proper screen to get Fault Codes, and (4) translating German to English as needed, so post back with more specific indication of WHERE you are in that process, and WHAT help you seek.

RANT: It's a "guy thing" on forums such as this to NOT ask for assistance or admit (even to oneself) what we DON'T know. NOBODY knows everything about ANYTHING. Don't be afraid to assess & admit limits of knowledge.

George
Hi George...

Thank you for repsponding! I posted about a 2a1a code I have been chasing a month ago and you provided lots of helpful info. Here is that thread where you helped me:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581707

So having done more research I found this TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39765-6607.pdf

I have checked all the hardware so I believe that TSB is what I’m up against. (I have a 2009 e92 n52k.)

So I’m following the instructions of that TSB which says to verify what the “I-Level Data Status” of my car is.

Yes I’m a noob and I have no idea what I’m doing but I want to get this issue solved.
Appreciate 0