E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Anyone used Adam's Waterless & Detail Spray?

02-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Anyone used Adam's Waterless & Detail Spray?

I'm not a detailer by any means nor do I even have the means to wash my own car. Has anyone used Adam's waterless wash and/or the detail spray for a post generic car wash shine?

[u2b]86jqy4RvnNY&feature=player_embedded[/u2b]
[u2b]EOd80YR2LUc&feature=player_embedded[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

So I use a lot of Adam's products but I can't said I'd ever use their WW on my whole car. I use it for cleaning doorjams and stuff like that but that's about it. I feel like the WW only really works under really light dust, anything more that that and I feel like you'd add swirls. If the car wash didn't remove something then WW def isn't the right product. Have you looked at trying optimum no rinse (aka ONR)?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
So I use a lot of Adam's products but I can't said I'd ever use their WW on my whole car. I use it for cleaning doorjams and stuff like that but that's about it. I feel like the WW only really works under really light dust, anything more that that and I feel like you'd add swirls. If the car wash didn't remove something then WW def isn't the right product. Have you looked at trying optimum no rinse (aka ONR)?
In your experience, is it not good for maintaining between washes? I park outside in the south so it's hot and there's a lot of pollen...

I've read a little about ONR, but I don't want to get a bucket out and get wet, etc. If Adam's WW doesn't work, I might just have to go with the ONR approach... but I really don't want to.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
In your experience, is it not good for maintaining between washes? I park outside in the south so it's hot and there's a lot of pollen...

I've read a little about ONR, but I don't want to get a bucket out and get wet, etc. If Adam's WW doesn't work, I might just have to go with the ONR approach... but I really don't want to.
I would just say that it's not good for much more than the slightest touchups. I use it for stuff like the occasional bird dropping but if anything is actually stuck to the paint it's not the right product. Maybe some others will pitch in.

Do you have any friends with a place you can wash your car? I live in a Condo so there's no place for me to wash my car so I just borrow my friends driveway from time to time, in between I use a touchless wash to keep it looking good.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
I would just say that it's not good for much more than the slightest touchups. I use it for stuff like the occasional bird dropping but if anything is actually stuck to the paint it's not the right product. Maybe some others will pitch in.

Do you have any friends with a place you can wash your car? I live in a Condo so there's no place for me to wash my car so I just borrow my friends driveway from time to time, in between I use a touchless wash to keep it looking good.
Dang it... I really wanted to bank on Adam's to be exactly what I needed. I will try a small bottle instead of going straight to the gallon sizes, etc. I will probably get the detail spray in the gallon size, though... What do you think?

Also, I guess I should but I never want to wash my car myself. Kinda lazy, kinda lack of know how, and haven't committed to buying the supplies yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dang it... I really wanted to bank on Adam's to be exactly what I needed. I will try a small bottle instead of going straight to the gallon sizes, etc. I will probably get the detail spray in the gallon size, though... What do you think?

Also, I guess I should but I never want to wash my car myself. Kinda lazy, kinda lack of know how, and haven't committed to buying the supplies yet.
So here's the thing, having a properly sealed/waxed car is going to make keeping it clean WAY easier. If you aren't really keen on detailing I'd suggest just taking it to a detailer and getting it done properly.

I love Adam's detail spray but you only want to use it on a very clean car, if not you're just going to drag dirt around the paint and cause swirls. Detail Spray is used after you wash your car to help enhance the gloss of the whatever wax you put on previously.

Unless you plan on washing your car a lot a gallon of DS is a lot. Buy a regular bottle for now and see how you like it, you can always buy more. The other key is making sure you have the right microfiber for each product. The waterless wash needs to be used with a waffle weave towel, Adam's makes one specifically for it.

Honestly the time it would take to do the whole car using waterless wash is going to be way more than the time it takes to use soap and water. If you have the option of washing with soap and water that's really the way to go.

On a pure basics level you need:

Two buckets with grit guards
Some wash media (sponge or pad)
Soap
Microfiber Drying Towel
Wax or Sealant to keep car protected
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:

Take your car to Best Hand Car Wash or the one next door to it. They do a relatively good job. $14 per hand wash.
      02-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

I've tried Adam's Detail Spray before, and thought it gave a good shine. However, Optimum Instant Detailer is cheaper (if you buy the concentrate) and works just as well. It even has the same cherry smell, which makes me wonder about rebranding to be honest.

I've never used a waterless wash on the whole car, although my favorite for spot cleaning is Poorboys Spray & Wipe. I admit that I haven't tried many, because there's no reason to buy something else if S&W works well for me, which it does. I have an unopened bottle of Optimum No Rinse, because it gets excellent recommendations, but it isn't waterless.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

with an no rinse/waterless wash you are going to have to use your best judgment.

it will give you a nice shine but be careful when trying to clean a dusty panel.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
So here's the thing, having a properly sealed/waxed car is going to make keeping it clean WAY easier. If you aren't really keen on detailing I'd suggest just taking it to a detailer and getting it done properly.

I love Adam's detail spray but you only want to use it on a very clean car, if not you're just going to drag dirt around the paint and cause swirls. Detail Spray is used after you wash your car to help enhance the gloss of the whatever wax you put on previously.

Unless you plan on washing your car a lot a gallon of DS is a lot. Buy a regular bottle for now and see how you like it, you can always buy more. The other key is making sure you have the right microfiber for each product. The waterless wash needs to be used with a waffle weave towel, Adam's makes one specifically for it.

Honestly the time it would take to do the whole car using waterless wash is going to be way more than the time it takes to use soap and water. If you have the option of washing with soap and water that's really the way to go.

On a pure basics level you need:

Two buckets with grit guards
Some wash media (sponge or pad)
Soap
Microfiber Drying Towel
Wax or Sealant to keep car protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
Take your car to Best Hand Car Wash or the one next door to it. They do a relatively good job. $14 per hand wash.
I have an unlimited wash membership to a local hand wash place. My plan was to do my usual weekly or biweekly washes, drive to a friend's place nearby, Adam's Waterless Wash it to remove the dust that just got back on it, then use the Detail Spray to give it some shine/protection... is this not a good idea? The small/standard bottles of the product aren't expensive, but all the microfibers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I've tried Adam's Detail Spray before, and thought it gave a good shine. However, Optimum Instant Detailer is cheaper (if you buy the concentrate) and works just as well. It even has the same cherry smell, which makes me wonder about rebranding to be honest.

I've never used a waterless wash on the whole car, although my favorite for spot cleaning is Poorboys Spray & Wipe. I admit that I haven't tried many, because there's no reason to buy something else if S&W works well for me, which it does. I have an unopened bottle of Optimum No Rinse, because it gets excellent recommendations, but it isn't waterless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain View Post
with an no rinse/waterless wash you are going to have to use your best judgment.

it will give you a nice shine but be careful when trying to clean a dusty panel.
I think I will attempt my above method w/ the small bottles, but if that fails, then ONR might be next on the list.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have an unlimited wash membership to a local hand wash place. My plan was to do my usual weekly or biweekly washes, drive to a friend's place nearby, Adam's Waterless Wash it to remove the dust that just got back on it, then use the Detail Spray to give it some shine/protection... is this not a good idea? The small/standard bottles of the product aren't expensive, but all the microfibers are.
some questions:
1. If you have unlimited washes why do you need a waterless wash product?

2. why do you need to go to a friends place to use waterless wash?

3. detail spray doesn't add any protection, just adds shine

4. where does waxing and/or sealant fall into your plan?

In general I'm just really confused by what your needs/goals are here. If you're paying for unlimited hand washes then a WW product seems pointless. If they do a good job what you really need is some good wax and then maybe some detail spray to apply after the hand washes.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
some questions:
1. If you have unlimited washes why do you need a waterless wash product?

2. why do you need to go to a friends place to use waterless wash?

3. detail spray doesn't add any protection, just adds shine

4. where does waxing and/or sealant fall into your plan?

In general I'm just really confused by what your needs/goals are here. If you're paying for unlimited hand washes then a WW product seems pointless. If they do a good job what you really need is some good wax and then maybe some detail spray to apply after the hand washes.
Well, being as the unlimited plan is only $30 a month, it's not amazing. The WW would be for the dust/dirt that collect after the wash (2 minutes after the wash there is dust on it) before applying the detail spray for shine. Wax hasn't been in my plan simply because I don't know enough about it and it seems very painstaking and a bit expensive compared to some spray bottles. Also, since I wash it so often, I feel a wax wouldn't be worth it. I just want to maintain a nice clean look between my weeklyish washes, or if I go out of town for a weekend or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well, being as the unlimited plan is only $30 a month, it's not amazing. The WW would be for the dust/dirt that collect after the wash (2 minutes after the wash there is dust on it) before applying the detail spray for shine. Wax hasn't been in my plan simply because I don't know enough about it and it seems very painstaking and a bit expensive compared to some spray bottles. Also, since I wash it so often, I feel a wax wouldn't be worth it. I just want to maintain a nice clean look between my weeklyish washes, or if I go out of town for a weekend or something.
Please don't take this the wrong way but it seems you have a lot of misinformation. Pretty much everything you just said about wax is completely false.

You only need to apply a wax or sealant a few times/year, it doesn't go away each time you wash the car. The purpose of a sealant or wax is to protect your paint from the elements as well as provides a deeper shine. By using a wax or sealant you also make it much easier to keep your car clean. The protective coating you add makes it harder for dirt to stick which means each wash is more effective with less effort.

One of my favorite sealants is 1Z Einszett Glanz, you just wipe it on with a microfiber applicator, let it dry for a couple minutes and wipe it off. That's it, it will last you 3-4 months and costs less than $20. You can get it here http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zeinszett-glanzwax.aspx

With all that said it sounds like you need to learn a lot. I see no reason at all for you to buy a waterless wash product at this point but you seem dead set on it for some reason. The best thing for you do do right now is forget everything you think you need to do, and read up on detailing some more. Honestly you might just be better off taking your car to a detailer.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way but it seems you have a lot of misinformation. Pretty much everything you just said about wax is completely false.

You only need to apply a wax or sealant a few times/year, it doesn't go away each time you wash the car. The purpose of a sealant or wax is to protect your paint from the elements as well as provides a deeper shine. By using a wax or sealant you also make it much easier to keep your car clean. The protective coating you add makes it harder for dirt to stick which means each wash is more effective with less effort.

One of my favorite sealants is 1Z Einszett Glanz, you just wipe it on with a microfiber applicator, let it dry for a couple minutes and wipe it off. That's it, it will last you 3-4 months and costs less than $20. You can get it here http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zeinszett-glanzwax.aspx

With all that said it sounds like you need to learn a lot. I see no reason at all for you to buy a waterless wash product at this point but you seem dead set on it for some reason. The best thing for you do do right now is forget everything you think you need to do, and read up on detailing some more. Honestly you might just be better off taking your car to a detailer.
I did admit to not knowing much about wax

Thanks for the info. So for waxing, do I apply it right after a car wash and it doesn't come off even w/ a ton of washes?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I did admit to not knowing much about wax

Thanks for the info. So for waxing, do I apply it right after a car wash and it doesn't come off even w/ a ton of washes?
In short yes, but honestly you just need to do some research. Do some searching on youtube or Google and you'll figure it out, it's just too much for me to type here.

Again, you might be better off just having a detailing take care of it for you. You have to want to detail your car and it doesn't really sound like you do.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
In short yes, but honestly you just need to do some research. Do some searching on youtube or Google and you'll figure it out, it's just too much for me to type here.

Again, you might be better off just having a detailing take care of it for you. You have to want to detail your car and it doesn't really sound like you do.
I do, I just don't have the means to as I always assumed it required me to wash the car myself. I'll figure something out, thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Couple of statements then a suggestion for the OP.

First off no wax, I don't care how much you pay for it is going to last 2 to 3 months period, more like 6 to 8 weeks. It simply gets stripped by the enviroment and washes. Sealants may last that long but need some help to last really long.

To the OP is the car garaged, if so a sealant could last you 4 months with regular maintenance. At your wash spot, I'm relatively certain they will use soaps and such that will strip your sealant or wax pretty quickly so maintenance is a key. I personally would suggest getting some one to wax or seal the car for you since you admitted you did not know much in this area. I will also suggest you drop the QD and pick up either Optimum Spray Wax or DuraGloss Aqua Wax. Either of those products will last almost as long as any paste/liquid wax will and in the spray format can be easily done, whole car, in 20 minutes. Aqua wax is nice as you can do it while the car is wet to aide in drying. These products will protect your car and provide some shine and gloss.
QD is good to add some slickness and pop to an already protected surface.

Also just a comment on someone else posting about Adams stuff smelling similar etc.. It's been rumored for a very long time that some of Adams line is rebranded stuff, CG cough cough. Not that it matters because bottom line if you like the look of it it works for you regardless of brands.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Couple of statements then a suggestion for the OP.

First off no wax, I don't care how much you pay for it is going to last 2 to 3 months period, more like 6 to 8 weeks. It simply gets stripped by the enviroment and washes. Sealants may last that long but need some help to last really long.

To the OP is the car garaged, if so a sealant could last you 4 months with regular maintenance. At your wash spot, I'm relatively certain they will use soaps and such that will strip your sealant or wax pretty quickly so maintenance is a key. I personally would suggest getting some one to wax or seal the car for you since you admitted you did not know much in this area. I will also suggest you drop the QD and pick up either Optimum Spray Wax or DuraGloss Aqua Wax. Either of those products will last almost as long as any paste/liquid wax will and in the spray format can be easily done, whole car, in 20 minutes. Aqua wax is nice as you can do it while the car is wet to aide in drying. These products will protect your car and provide some shine and gloss.
QD is good to add some slickness and pop to an already protected surface.

Also just a comment on someone else posting about Adams stuff smelling similar etc.. It's been rumored for a very long time that some of Adams line is rebranded stuff, CG cough cough. Not that it matters because bottom line if you like the look of it it works for you regardless of brands.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into things - I've been contacting independent detailers in my area for pricing and asking maintenance questions.
Appreciate 0