E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New to the diesel work HELP!

09-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

New to the diesel work HELP!

I picked up this 2011 335D at auction and it drove great yesterday for test drives. Good power smooth delivery, although it does have a service engine light.

Well today I go look at the car before auction start and the car has a half engine light and is cutting power tremendously. I got it cheap, drove it home 300 miles and figured I'd poke around to see if someone could have unplugged a sensor or something.

I'll be honest I'm not very familiar with Diesel engines, but I have been working on European cars for 6+ years and have done just about every repair under the sun.

This car has clearly been modified and I want to find the power that was there yesterday! Any input would be great. Here's a pic of the engine bay, and codes I'm getting. These two codes will not clear. I believe the injection cylinder 1 is the cause of half engine light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That was short lived! Poking around and sure enough someone slightly disconnected connector at injector 🤦*♂️

New ride!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

The heater is either unplugged or broken.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Glad to see it was a simple fix. I had a similar issue the other week where the connector on one of the wastegate solenoids worked itself off.

Looking at the picture of the engine, it looks like the previous owner removed the EGR cooler and replaced the EGR valve with a race pipe. Both of those modifications point to the car being tuned. Not sure if there is a good way to tell which tune it has though. If youre really curious, you might be able to email some of the tuners with your info and they may or may not be able to confirm if they did a tune on your particular VIN.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
The heater is either unplugged or broken.
Where is the heater? I believe you're correct as that code comes back right away. I can't imagine that would have anything to do with the car being modified, would it?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Glad to see it was a simple fix. I had a similar issue the other week where the connector on one of the wastegate solenoids worked itself off.

Looking at the picture of the engine, it looks like the previous owner removed the EGR cooler and replaced the EGR valve with a race pipe. Both of those modifications point to the car being tuned. Not sure if there is a good way to tell which tune it has though. If youre really curious, you might be able to email some of the tuners with your info and they may or may not be able to confirm if they did a tune on your particular VIN.
It's the simple things that can cause the most frustration sometimes. It's a bummer that people feel the need to tamper with cars at auction.

I will have to do some digging to see what I can figure out about the tune. I haven't driven another 335d to compare to, but the torque on this thing will put you in your seat. It also has an exhaust, and sounds like a truck at idle, you can hear the turbos whistling away. Puts a smile on my face just starting it up 😁
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser124 View Post
It's the simple things that can cause the most frustration sometimes. It's a bummer that people feel the need to tamper with cars at auction.

I will have to do some digging to see what I can figure out about the tune. I haven't driven another 335d to compare to, but the torque on this thing will put you in your seat. It also has an exhaust, and sounds like a truck at idle, you can hear the turbos whistling away. Puts a smile on my face just starting it up Ÿ˜
Sounds like the DPF was also removed then and replaced with a down pipe. If you ever get the car on the lift, take a look and see if the SCR tank was replaced as well.

I suppose you could also go to a dyno and see what kind of power the car is making and compare that to what some of the tuners out there are advertising. I plan on doing that anyway myself to see just how accurate those claims are.

That being said, I do enjoy hearing the turbos whistle

Do you suspect that someone at the auction loosened the plug or that it came loose on your drive back home?
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I will have to do some digging to see what I can figure out about the tune. I haven't driven another 335d to compare to, but the torque on this thing will put you in your seat. It also has an exhaust, and sounds like a truck at idle, you can hear the turbos whistling away. Puts a smile on my face just starting it up ðŸ˜Â
Sounds like the DPF was also removed then and replaced with a down pipe. If you ever get the car on the lift, take a look and see if the SCR tank was replaced as well.

I suppose you could also go to a dyno and see what kind of power the car is making and compare that to what some of the tuners out there are advertising. I plan on doing that anyway myself to see just how accurate those claims are.

I think you may be right! This car has never been on my radar until yesterday, so I did a little research last night and it sounds like the emission systems that you have mentioned is a major weak points on these cars.

It would be a pleasant surprise if these have already been removed!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I think you may be right! This car has never been on my radar until yesterday, so I did a little research last night and it sounds like the emission systems that you have mentioned is a major weak points on these cars.

Correct, the emissions system really is the weakest point of the whole car. I replaced one or two big ticket items on the emissions system before I said screw it and got the tune to delete them. That being said, you dont necessarily need to remove all the emissions components if you get the tune. Its a good idea to remove them, but not completely necessary. The only component that I would say is a good idea to remove is the DPF to help lower EGT's. The rest can technically remain.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Correct, the emissions system really is the weakest point of the whole car. I replaced one or two big ticket items on the emissions system before I said screw it and got the tune to delete them. That being said, you dont necessarily need to remove all the emissions components if you get the tune. Its a good idea to remove them, but not completely necessary. The only component that I would say is a good idea to remove is the DPF to help lower EGT's. The rest can technically remain.
Really good to know, I appreciate your responses! Do you have any insight on the heating crankcase activation code? I'm not really sure where to look for this, but I can't imagine it has anything to do with the car being modified. This code is always present and comes back as soon as I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #11
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I will have to do some digging to see what I can figure out about the tune. I haven't driven another 335d to compare to, but the torque on this thing will put you in your seat. It also has an exhaust, and sounds like a truck at idle, you can hear the turbos whistling away. Puts a smile on my face just starting it up 😁

Do you suspect that someone at the auction loosened the plug or that it came loose on your drive back home?
Missed your last part, but someone absolutely unplugged it. I see it all to often on cars I'm more familiar with, and it was still on the injector just slid back enough to look good, but not clipped in.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Really good to know, I appreciate your responses! Do you have any insight on the heating crankcase activation code? I'm not really sure where to look for this, but I can't imagine it has anything to do with the car being modified. This code is always present and comes back as soon as I start the car.
Unfortunately I havent come across that code myself so I dont have any tips to suggest. I will, however, try and remember to ask my friend about it. He's a good mechanic and owns one of these diesels himself.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I havent come across that code myself so I dont have any tips to suggest. I will, however, try and remember to ask my friend about it. He's a good mechanic and owns one of these diesels himself.
That'd be great. I was doing some more research and wondering about DEF how often do we need to fill this up? I see what appears to be a circular access door on driver side rear, is that what it's for?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #14
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Quote:
That'd be great. I was doing some more research and wondering about DEF how often do we need to fill this up? I see what appears to be a circular access door on driver side rear, is that what it's for?
If it's tuned Def has been disabled. Eventually need to drain it and remove tanks.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #15
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I dont remember off of the top of my head, I never actually ran the dank dry before I got my tune and the SCR/DEF was rendered useless. This thread might give you some clues though: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851237

Id wager to say that you probably wont have to worry about this though. Seems like the previous owner knew the shortcomings of the car and removed the emissions stuff. If thats the case, then you wont have to keep filling the tank with DEF fluid.

The circular door you see on the rear bumper is for the fill neck of the SCR. There are actually two filler necks behind it, one for the passive tank and one for the active tank. Im thinking about installing a methanol kit on my car and wondering if its possible to repurpose that access panel for a methanol reservoir since I no longer have the SCR back there.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
If it's tuned Def has been disabled. Eventually need to drain it and remove tanks.
Correct me if I am wrong, but theres no actual need to remove the tank aside from saving some weight as far as I am aware of.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #17
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

If its BPC tunes some of their tunes require tanks to be plugged in. Unplug and you get a silent countdown from 999mi to zero. Then no start.

For the heater code, check little plug in front of the airbox. It clips to the front. Or the actual heater connection by the filler neck. I would post a pic but cant from the phone. May be join our Diesel FB Group called NBDOG. Easier to share pics but impossible to search anything.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #18
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

I believe that this is the connection Yozh is talking about by the airbox:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I believe that this is the connection Yozh is talking about by the airbox:
There are actually 3 connections for the heater. Top and bottom than this pictured one.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
There are actually 3 connections for the heater. Top and bottom than this pictured one.
Im assuming the other connections are located by the filler neck Yozh was referencing, correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #21
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Im assuming the other connections are located by the filler neck Yozh was referencing, correct?
Im.not sure what he is referring to filler neck but I believe he means the connection that goes to the valve cover then to the air intake boot.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #22
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I dont remember off of the top of my head, I never actually ran the dank dry before I got my tune and the SCR/DEF was rendered useless. This thread might give you some clues though: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851237

Id wager to say that you probably wont have to worry about this though. Seems like the previous owner knew the shortcomings of the car and removed the emissions stuff. If thats the case, then you wont have to keep filling the tank with DEF fluid.

The circular door you see on the rear bumper is for the fill neck of the SCR. There are actually two filler necks behind it, one for the passive tank and one for the active tank. Im thinking about installing a methanol kit on my car and wondering if its possible to repurpose that access panel for a methanol reservoir since I no longer have the SCR back there.
Man the emissions system really seems overly complicated on these diesels. I watched a couple videos today to get a better understanding of how the systems work together, and basically the DPF is filtering the soot and the SCR is reducing the NOx as a result of the DPF?

I peaked under my car today and noticed the central looking muffler (SCR or DPF?) appears to have been opened up and welded back together, to gut the internals?
Appreciate 0