E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DIY 335D Tuning over OBD

09-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
txdiesel
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

DIY 335D Tuning over OBD

So at the start of the New Year 2018 I've seen quite a few OBD2 tuning solutions delivered from BPC, AArodriguez, and all the usual tuners that previously required that you ship your ECU to them for tuning. Now we're renting cables, flashing, then returning the cables leaving us with no opportunity to reflash or make tweaks if needed. I've searched and searched and haven't found any solutions, so here's the question...

Are there any cables/software available for purchase/download that allow end-users to create their own tunes?

Clearly the easiest way to tune is fork over the money and get a pre-built tune, however transitioning from a Mitsubishi Evo VIII (where it was super easy to tweak the ECU using a laptop and USB to OB2II cable) to the 335d, I'm left wanting to make my own upgrades to my vehicle. I feel like there was a major breakthrough at the start of the New Year that allowed all these tuners to begin offering OBD tuning and I'm left scratching my head over how they all arrived at the same product after so many years of not being able to access the ECU without physically cracking it open.
      09-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Yes. A few options exist.

Winols is the best option for tuning. There are cables and programs available to flash via the obd port.

Bench flashing Isn’t hard and a good process to help understand tuning the edc17cp09 with the tricore chip.

As far as I know there isn’t a one stop shop, like in other communities. You’ll need a good logger, like Testo, tuning software and a couple cables.

Last edited by 335dsleeper; 10-27-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
txdiesel
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
Yes. A few options exist.

Winols is the best option for tuning. There are cables and programs available to flash via the obd port.

Bench flashing Isn’t hard and a good process to help understand the tuning the edc17cp09 with the tricore chip.

As far as I know they isn’t a one stop shop, like in other communities. You’ll need a good logger, like Testo, tuning software and a couple cables.
Yes, this is what's frustrating! I know that someone on here could create a tutorial/walkthrough but they likely wont because it would cut into their business of tuning cars (who could blame them?)
      09-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

that's what i was suggesting/searching for possibly some generic map for 335d, in my case european model pre LCI 210kw. I guess, these maps exist and might be somewhere, because even when I spoke with one tuning company he said, they have ready couple of stages for this car, and I doubt they run tailored map for every vehicle. I haven't tune my car yet because I am always dealing with some engine reduction power, and would be glad if it at least drives as it is supposed to, because i even heard about cases people tuning their cars that wasnt even functioning properly and few mechanics told me they even gave up repairing few 35d unable to find the problem whether it be turbo /vacuum / boost leak / gearbox / fuel delivery as they all can have similar symptoms, but diagnosing it only costed couple thousands...
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      02-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
klingon55
Rep
Drives: BMW X5D

Bit Edit works for editing the bin and includes maps so you do not have tho define them yourself in WinOLS, Bit Box is used to flash via OBD2, not sure why no one wanted to post this.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      02-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

well considering tuners have generic maps for each vehicle type, and engine model, I was always wondering if someone shares it online, but wasn't lucky to find one for this model, but there are for some smaller engines available.
nonentheless, I heard very few tuners do the tailored tuning using the dyno even tho they say they do, but supposedly it's time consuming and you have to have someone very very experienced and capable to do that.....so even tho they supposedly say they tailor each vehicle, very few do...also, I heard one tuner when I was asking the prices, saying to his colleague that he will send him the map for my vehicle if not available in his computer, when I was enquiring about prices...but I didnt do that because my car wasn't at full power (it never is even now, ....) so bottom line is that once you get some generic map for 335d 210kw it actually may be all you need along with cable to upload it obviously and if u willing to take a gamble...
Appreciate 0