E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Time to Part Ways

09-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
Ol' Red Duc
Lurking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sport Wagon

Garage List
Time to Part Ways

Hello all. I've got a 2011 328i 6MT RWD deep sea blue metallic over saddle, non-msport wagon. I love her to death, and have owned her for the last year and a half with no problems until earlier this month when the original battery finally died. Replaced it, resumed trouble-free running. Its only modifications are an OEM Euro intake (original in my basement), a BMW performance SSK (original in my basement), and an OEM m-sport shift knob/boot (original, too, is in my basement).

I bought it over in Germany while on Active Duty. It had been there its whole life, and only recently was brought stateside. I picked it up around 82k miles and it is now at 99k. My wife and I have decided that we want to go back to Europe as a US contractor, and I will certainly be picking up awesome Euro cars instead of bringing US-spec things, so my baby is on the way out in the next couple of months. I'm having a PPI done soon to get a clear picture of whats going on that I might not notice.

My question is: I don't really know what to ask for it, so I think it might be best to focus instead on providing warm fuzzies. What would you folks here see in an ~100k mile e91 that would give you confidence in the purchase? I've had literally no mechanical issues (the battery isn't even a problem, it lasted 7+ years) so its difficult to point things out. Its not like my old e46 that blew its coolant system like clockwork at 97k miles before i knew better, from what I can tell. Did some basic tune-up maintenance upon purchase, of course, and a couple oil changes over my ownership, most recently in June @ 97k. Cosmetically speaking, my child put his handlebars down the passenger front/rear door right before I sent it off to get detailed and I've had the front/rear bumpers repainted thanks to my wife bumping a post (and immediately bumping its neighboring post) but it didn't even break the plastic, just wore through the paint.

Any input is most appreciated. Picture included from its final inspection in Germany, not sure how I managed to not acquire more recent pictures in the last couple months. I'll answer any questions anyone has. Right now I'm leaning toward a bring-a-trailer auction, but again... not really sure what to expect.

Last edited by Ol' Red Duc; 09-19-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I would put in on brings a trailer and you’ll prolly get mid to high teens.

Sport package = high teens

Non sport = low to mid teens

IMHO.

Nice car and g/l overseas with contracting gig. It’s a fun way to live and I’m glad you’re able to take your family :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Ol' Red Duc
Lurking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sport Wagon

Garage List
He,y thanks for pointing out the m-sport vs not thing, this is not one unfortunately. I've been sorely tempted to swap in take-offs from a low-mileage m-sport for shocks/struts but the only real complaint I have about the car is body roll and its not been enough to actually tear into the car to worry about. I went ahead and edited the original post for clarity.

We really enjoyed living there while I was stationed at Ramstein, so hopefully we'll be in Stuttgart next summer with me doing some government IT stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I got $12500 for our pre-lci E91 325xi 6mt with 125,000 miles. It sold in less than a week. A RWD, LCI in that color is probably more desireable.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I got $12500 for our pre-lci E91 325xi 6mt with 125,000 miles. It sold in less than a week. A RWD, LCI in that color is probably more desireable.
Impressive. Maybe my #’s are low.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking $13-14k sounds reasonable.. but I really don't know. On one hand, paying much for any car with 100k miles seems crazy to me. But on other hand, some people really do want those wagons... and 6MT + RWD is where it's at.

If you have time to hold out on the sale, perhaps the right buyer will come along. That's the main thing with an "enthusiast car" such as yours.

GLWS!
      09-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
As a data point - I have "agreed value" insurance through AIG on all of my cars. For the newer cars, they set the value, but it is shown on the renewal every year. This past May they have my 2011 RWD, 6spd, non-sport wagon at just shy of $25K. That is what I would get in the event of a total loss. No idea if I could actually sell it for that much, but these cars are VERY sought after.

Big difference is that my car is one owner, only has 44K on it and it is about as perfect as a 7yo car with 44K can be - just a couple tiny parking lot dings. A little PDR and it would be just about perfect.

So I would think that unless you need it sold tomorrow, somewhere in the mid-high teens would probably be about right. It's not like you can buy anything like it new anymore.

Good luck on the new career!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0