E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DFFF -- Dont Fear the Fuel Filter

09-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #221
jeepinvader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Interesting findings, thanks for the detailed post! How many miles were on the old fuel filter? Did you decide to replace the filter because you saw a degradation in performance or just simply because it was due for a change?
I'm not sure how many miles were on it. I recently purchased the vehicle and it came with no maintenance records. It's got a problem where it cuts out under moderate acceleration, and I'm just eliminating one thing at a time. With what I found in the fuel department, I'm leaning toward HPFP and/or injectors. I started a thread here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522807 but it's a slow process. I'm slowly fixing what I can when I can, so the next step will be cleaning out the tank and getting fresh fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #222
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinvader View Post
I'm not sure how many miles were on it. I recently purchased the vehicle and it came with no maintenance records. It's got a problem where it cuts out under moderate acceleration, and I'm just eliminating one thing at a time. With what I found in the fuel department, I'm leaning toward HPFP and/or injectors. I started a thread here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522807 but it's a slow process. I'm slowly fixing what I can when I can, so the next step will be cleaning out the tank and getting fresh fuel.
Not sure how I missed that thread, I'll have to take a look at it soon. FYI, I have a few spare injectors from when I did my engine swap. If you decide that they are the culprit, let me know and we can work something out (assuming you decide not to get new one's).

As far as the HPFP goes, if you get the special tool the swap isnt too bad. Its a bit tedious but much simpler than I had anticipated.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #223
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinvader View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are the 4 bottles side by side. ...
Looks like you have a tank of water contaminated fuel. Without having a drainable water separating fuel filter it's difficult to do the kind of checking you did to see what the fuel looks like.

I put a secondary fuel filter in my rig many years ago due to this risk.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=18

This winter I helped a member drain his entire fuel system due to getting a load of contaminated fuel that was so bad his engine wouldn't even run. Unfortunately it's a long and messing process. We used the software to engage the lift pump to push as much fuel as we could out of the fuel tank, but then also opened up the tank access under the rear seats and pumped out a not insignificant amount more of the contaminated fuel before adding fresh fuel and re-priming the system and using a new fuel filter.
      09-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #224
jeepinvader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I put a secondary fuel filter in my rig many years ago due to this risk.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=18
So you put the water separator between the factory filter and the HPFP? Seems pretty simple. Would there be any benefit to having the water separator before the factory fuel filter? That would keep water and some contamination out of the factory filter, extending it's life, right? Not sure if there's a good place for it anywhere, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #225
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

I changed the fuel filter today on the 335d at 131K miles.

When installing I noticed the skinny washer was missing. Does this matter?

All went well, I cycled the pump with the Foxwell and it started right up.
      03-16-2020, 11:44 PM   #226
speedster77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,E46 M3 6MT, 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
I changed the fuel filter today on the 335d at 131K miles.

When installing I noticed the skinny washer was missing. Does this matter?

All went well, I cycled the pump with the Foxwell and it started right up.
How do you cycle the pump with Foxwell? Can you elaborate? I don't have roswell but was thinking of doing the start stop button method.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #227
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Foxwell has two "lift pump" prime settings -- it has been a few months since I have used it but I think they run for 120 seconds. You can definitely hear a gurgling, sort of like the sound of a gas nozzle filling up your tank. After that, the car starts right up. I would be Protool does the same. When I bought Foxwell, the Protool was not yet available but I suspect it is the better product.
      05-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #228
Darkswarmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

So after all the debate in this thread (years old now) about priming the fuel pump, are there any crankers here who ended up killing their HPFP? Or Primers that had theirs die? I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #229
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkswarmer View Post
So after all the debate in this thread (years old now) about priming the fuel pump, are there any crankers here who ended up killing their HPFP? Or Primers that had theirs die? I'm curious.
No problem here with the HPFP. I prefill the fuel filter prior install. Engine start within few seconds. There are many more issues with the emissions system than the HPFP.

Last edited by montr; 05-20-2020 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #230
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkswarmer View Post
Nice to hear my cranker and primer terminology is still alive and well. Haha.

As shown earlier in thread, I'm a primer and my HPFP is doing fine. I've added a water separator/filter sold by ATM. So of course, after opening up the fuel system to add the above in, I again primed. I did this manually with a spare 12V battery and ran it for a good 2-3 minutes. There was a fair bit of new lines added ~2.5 feet or so. It gurgled a long while.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #231
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

Just did my FF 2 weeks ago.

I took the lines out the filter, blocked them with some odd pieces of small metal screw-like items, took out the old filter, put the lines onto the new one and secure the filter with the bracket.

I must have lost about half a glass (100-125 ml) as at first I didn't have the correct size line blockers so had to connect everything back and find some better-sized blockers. if I did have the correct size blockers, I would have lost really little fuel.

I wasn't keen on clamping the outward line as that was very hard, almost plastic-like...I guess this line is made out of rubber, but must have hardened over time? Not sure, hence why I blocked the line rather than clamp it.

I did the 1 minute ignition on rubbish...I heard the LPFP prime but didn't hear anything after that, so I repeated the ignition on/off cycle 3 times to get the pump to prime the filter a bit.

First attempt was a cranking session for about 3 seconds - no start.

Second attempt was a cranking session for about 2 seconds - no start.

Third attempt: I did 2 ignition on/off cycles to prime the pump a bit more - no start then I tried to crank again and it started just fine!

It never stalled once it started.

The engine is noticeably quieter now, and there is a slight decrease in power but I put it down to using a Bosch aftermarket fuel filter, as these do not have the same diameters/volume flow rate as the BMW filter, hence there may be a difference in power?

I did search a lot about using INPA to prime the pump but all I came across was a test function that runs the pump for 15 seconds. As I understand, there is no dedicated priming function in INPA. I know toolset32 has one but I cant get that to work with my car...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:14 AM   #232
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

In all honesty, I can totally understand the logic of priming the fuel line before starting the car to keep the HPFP from running dry. However, surely just a couple of seconds of dry cranking over a 30-50,000 mile interval or (even more) shouldn't be much of a concern?

As for the M57 engine, the priming method is to turn the ignition on and keep the button pressed for 10 seconds, then wait 1 minute. Assuming the official BMW workshops also follow this procedure, which doesn't work as it appears, they would also be eventually cranking the car and re-cycling the ignition procedure until the car starts, correct me if I am wrong here, but just a thought.

Also, here in the UK, many mechanic workshops do not follow dealer guidance and do millions of FF replacements. From my experience, they would simply fill the filter, if possible, then do a couple of ignition cycles until the car starts.

A typical workshop example is this video of a how to guide to changing the FF on a BMW E90:

Surely, if it was a harm to HPFP this way, there would be a great deal of HPFP failures and it would be a common thing?

Just my thought...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #233
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Hard to say. I think a lot of E90 people were traumatized by the terrible reliability problems with the 335i HPFPs so maybe we err a little on the safe side. Also, it's easy to run the lift pump using a Foxwell or the under-seat jumper method.
      06-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #234
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

Priming the fp with protool or foxwell or similar should be plenty sufficient for just changing the fuel filter. Crank up to 30 seconds if needed, but shouldn't need that much for this.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #235
speedster77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,E46 M3 6MT, 335d MSport

Just changed my fuel filter the other day and used Ediabas to prime the pump. Thanks to this thread, the job was pretty easy!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #236
kxkid661
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 03:56 PM   #237
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Great DIY, thank you all.

Some steps I took that others may found useful.

I was too lazy to get my jack stands today.
Hence I drove on the ramps (note: my E90 is lowered)
TIP: Backing up on the ramps is easy

I wanted to minimize spillage from the filtered fuel line.
TIP: The 1/4 extension worked excellent as temporary plug, see pic.

TIP: Before disconnecting unfiltered section from the fuel heater plug your old filter filtered nozzle with cap that came with new filter.

New Kayser filter from FCP came with gasket.
I did not take a note of the bracket position.
TIP: it is above the Made in Germany label, over the Kayser logo.

TIP: Use ISTA+ fuel priming service function
Engine fires up instantly, followed by controlled run 2000 rpm for 10 minutes.

Disappointments:
- previous filter was changed long time ago (5+ years, 50K+ miles)
- whoever worked on the car last, lost most of the splash shield screws

Next week is E70 turn
Attached Images

Last edited by POBEP; 06-07-2021 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #238
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

Changed my fuel filter last week.
Plugged the lines to prevent fuel draining from the lines while the filter was off the car.
Prefilled the new filter.
Used my foxwell 510 to run the fuel pump for 120 seconds prior to starting.
The car started right up with normal cranking (less than 3 seconds)
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 05:47 AM   #239
JoeB1 Diesel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

I installed an ATM secondary fuel filter about 20k miles ago, the system runs much better now, I bleed the water out every month and get about two to three tablespoons that can’t make it to my engine, runs fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #240
Master_Chase
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

I'm guessing there isn't an alternative mounting position for the add-on fuel filter and water separator kit because I already have a CCV catch can mounted in that spot?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 09:13 PM   #241
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

F/W Separator

I have this installed upstream of the stocker here:

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #242
Master_Chase
Rep