Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Spare tire?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #1
flyrr100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, F150 crew cab

Spare tire?

2008 328i
I bought my car. My first BMW. It needed tires badly so I put a set of GoodYears on it. That was the second day I owned the car. After a few days I started poking around. Just to see what's what. There's no darn spare! I guess those million dollar run flats needed no spare. I've bought a used rim from evil bay and put a tire on it and i'll just keep it in the trunk. So my question.... Is there some sort of kit to buy to secure the wheel? Or should I just get a few straps to hold it still?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I don’t have a spare but perhaps a cargo net would be a solution.
      05-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
gregativity
FNG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Currently looking for a spare solution myself. The factory spare tire kit is no longer available from the dealer and all reputable resellers, or on ebay for $700+. I'm currently looking into just buying the cheapest wheel/tire that'll fit off tire rack and piecing together a tool kit from harbor freight. Wondering what other people are doing these days to solve this more elegantly. All of my searches have turned up outdated solutions. Did you ever figure anything out for your new-to-you 328?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
flyrr100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, F150 crew cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregativity View Post
Currently looking for a spare solution myself. The factory spare tire kit is no longer available from the dealer and all reputable resellers, or on ebay for $700+. I'm currently looking into just buying the cheapest wheel/tire that'll fit off tire rack and piecing together a tool kit from harbor freight. Wondering what other people are doing these days to solve this more elegantly. All of my searches have turned up outdated solutions. Did you ever figure anything out for your new-to-you 328?
I bought a used rim from eBay for around $50 and put a new tire on it. Bought some new straps from Home Deputations and it's in my now mostly unusable trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

There used to be a kit that was basically a net connected to some latch points.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
gbmw311
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9802 330ci vert, E2%80

Garage List
2002 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrr100 View Post
2008 328i
I bought my car. My first BMW. It needed tires badly so I put a set of GoodYears on it. That was the second day I owned the car. After a few days I started poking around. Just to see what's what. There's no darn spare! I guess those million dollar run flats needed no spare. I've bought a used rim from evil bay and put a tire on it and i'll just keep it in the trunk. So my question.... Is there some sort of kit to buy to secure the wheel? Or should I just get a few straps to hold it still?
I bought a space saver spare kit along with the jack, etc. from a member here for my E93 when I got rid of the run flats. I use a cargo not to keep it in place - works fine. Of course with the top down, I don't have much trunk space, but that's fine with me - would rather have the spare!
Appreciate 0