E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Confessions of an e90 addict..

01-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Beaming
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328I Coupe

Garage List
2007 328i coupe  [0.00]
Confessions of an e90 addict..

It's been eight month since I lost my beloved 6MT e92 328i in an accident.I was willing to come considerably out of pocket to try and get the car back on the road but the damage was just too great. I've been a car guy my whole life and this was truly my favorite car. She had 138,000 miles on the clock and was I planning on at least 200,000.

Alas circumstances change and after exhausting my attempts to find a suitable replacement I decided on a 2013 Boxster S 6m with 50k.

I thought it might be interesting to point out some of the differences that I've experienced going from the Coupe to the S.

Overall the cars are different but similar in many ways. Both have sweet six cylinder NA engines and pull smoothly to redline. The Bimmer is Singer sewing machine smooth and the Boxster is too but the flat six in the Porsche rips like crazy and has a wonderful and more aggressive exhaust note. The six speed manual in the Boxster has shorter throws and is a bit more snick,snick then the Bimmer but both are good. Both cars I added the short throw shifters. Much easier to add in the Porsche-more on that later.

Both cars handle superbly but with the engine in the middle the Boxster just rotates like crazy and the sensation of being pushed with the engine at your back is hard to beat. Of course- I can't carry my clubs or dogs in the Boxster like I can in the Bimmer so when others are riding forced to go in the wife's SUV.

The Porsches hold their values better but are overpriced to begin with. This Boxster listed for $81,500 when new and I bought of for less then $34,000.

Both cars have top of the line sports seats offered and while the Porsche's are more adjustable- they are not better IMO then the Bimmer's which are as comfortable as any. I miss the steering wheel in the BMW-I like it better than the plain sport wheel in this car. Both interiors are comfortable but the Boxster has the full leather and it is softer that the Dakota leather I had in the e92. Instrumentation on the Boxster is better with customizable displays for many different parameters. One thing I do miss oddly is the current fuel consumption display the BMW had as it helped keeping the engine in an efficient range when needed. The Porsche shows average mileage but not as you are driving.

Maintenance:

One of the biggest areas of concern I had was being able to work on the car myself. I had gotten to where I could do all of my maintenance on the 328 and was concerned the Boxster would be much harder to work on. I found that not to be the case. On the Boxster you do have to remove panels to get to parts of the engine but once that is known how to do it's pretty routine and easy to do. The short shifter for instance took me about 30 minutes to do whereas with the BMW I had to have it installed. Spark plugs have to be accessed by removing wheel linings and that's aggravating but not something that needs to be done often-but easily doable.Air filters require removing the rear trunk liner but not hard.The car has a surprising amount of luggage space with a trunk in the front and rear.

As time as passed I have come to appreciate the Boxster for what it is- one of the best sports cars you can buy but I still miss the e92 and have days I wish I still had her. So-enjoy your car guys-it's truly a great car and up there with the best for what the car is.
Appreciate 2
Biginboca3763.50
tgyberg87.50
      01-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I love my E90. It is one of the best daily drivers I've owned. There's something about having a car that is comfortable/practical for commuting but can also be sporty and fun.

I regularly get 25-26 mpg commuting to work, and while not as much space as an SUV I can still carry people or haul gear for trips. The car is comfortable and quiet, but the steering feel and handling are great. Last summer I took it down to tail of the dragon in TN/NC. Total distance for the road trip was 2100 miles or so because I made several stops. I averaged 29-30 mpg doing 80 mph on the highway, then beat the snot out of it on the dragon, all while loaded full of camping gear. It has the perfect amount of performance to comfort ratio for me. Anything stiffer wouldn't be fun for my back on long trips.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Shooting for 200,000 was a bit low in my estimation. Just sayin'

I picked a '08 Z4 over an '08 Cayman 5 years ago when looking for a sports coupe. I thought there'd be a drastic difference in a mid-engined coupe. I found it not to be the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I love my E90. It is one of the best daily drivers I've owned. There's something about having a car that is comfortable/practical for commuting but can also be sporty and fun.

I regularly get 25-26 mpg commuting to work, and while not as much space as an SUV I can still carry people or haul gear for trips. The car is comfortable and quiet, but the steering feel and handling are great. Last summer I took it down to tail of the dragon in TN/NC. Total distance for the road trip was 2100 miles or so because I made several stops. I averaged 29-30 mpg doing 80 mph on the highway, then beat the snot out of it on the dragon, all while loaded full of camping gear. It has the perfect amount of performance to comfort ratio for me. Anything stiffer wouldn't be fun for my back on long trips.
You addict, you!!!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
tgyberg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 6MT / E36 M3

Good stuff!
      01-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

even if my e90 is a beater , I understand why people like them.

I've always wanted a R32 skyline, since AWD to RWD selection can be made on a click of a button.

of course you can do it on most trucks, but its not sporty and its automatic.

Since the xdelete app is out, for at least nordic country, is the best car overall.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaming View Post
It's been eight month since I lost my beloved 6MT e92 328i in an accident.I was willing to come considerably out of pocket to try and get the car back on the road but the damage was just too great. I've been a car guy my whole life and this was truly my favorite car. She had 138,000 miles on the clock and was I planning on at least 200,000.

Alas circumstances change and after exhausting my attempts to find a suitable replacement I decided on a 2013 Boxster S 6m with 50k.

I thought it might be interesting to point out some of the differences that I've experienced going from the Coupe to the S.

Overall the cars are different but similar in many ways. Both have sweet six cylinder NA engines and pull smoothly to redline. The Bimmer is Singer sewing machine smooth and the Boxster is too but the flat six in the Porsche rips like crazy and has a wonderful and more aggressive exhaust note. The six speed manual in the Boxster has shorter throws and is a bit more snick,snick then the Bimmer but both are good. Both cars I added the short throw shifters. Much easier to add in the Porsche-more on that later.

Both cars handle superbly but with the engine in the middle the Boxster just rotates like crazy and the sensation of being pushed with the engine at your back is hard to beat. Of course- I can't carry my clubs or dogs in the Boxster like I can in the Bimmer so when others are riding forced to go in the wife's SUV.

The Porsches hold their values better but are overpriced to begin with. This Boxster listed for $81,500 when new and I bought of for less then $34,000.

Both cars have top of the line sports seats offered and while the Porsche's are more adjustable- they are not better IMO then the Bimmer's which are as comfortable as any. I miss the steering wheel in the BMW-I like it better than the plain sport wheel in this car. Both interiors are comfortable but the Boxster has the full leather and it is softer that the Dakota leather I had in the e92. Instrumentation on the Boxster is better with customizable displays for many different parameters. One thing I do miss oddly is the current fuel consumption display the BMW had as it helped keeping the engine in an efficient range when needed. The Porsche shows average mileage but not as you are driving.

Maintenance:

One of the biggest areas of concern I had was being able to work on the car myself. I had gotten to where I could do all of my maintenance on the 328 and was concerned the Boxster would be much harder to work on. I found that not to be the case. On the Boxster you do have to remove panels to get to parts of the engine but once that is known how to do it's pretty routine and easy to do. The short shifter for instance took me about 30 minutes to do whereas with the BMW I had to have it installed. Spark plugs have to be accessed by removing wheel linings and that's aggravating but not something that needs to be done often-but easily doable.Air filters require removing the rear trunk liner but not hard.The car has a surprising amount of luggage space with a trunk in the front and rear.

As time as passed I have come to appreciate the Boxster for what it is- one of the best sports cars you can buy but I still miss the e92 and have days I wish I still had her. So-enjoy your car guys-it's truly a great car and up there with the best for what the car is.
Cost of brakes & suspension vs a 328 is night & day?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:07 AM   #8
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
I got a 6mt e90 330i sport knowing it would be a fun car to drive- but I got it as a "practical, sensible, and dependable" car for me to have in college, so I can keep tinkering and messing with my Fiat Abarth Cabrio, without the risk of being stuck without a car if it were to ever have any major issues.

Well- I severely underestimated how nice it is to push this chassis, and I've absolutely fallen in love with it. It may not be as eager, raucous and dramatic as the Abarth, but it was never designed to be. It's one hell of a car, feels very solid and well built, is the perfect balance of sporty and comfortable,and at their current price point in the used market, I'd say they're an absolute steal.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17306.00
      01-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I think it is fair to say there is not a much better advocate for the E90 than me, having saved my car from two insurance-totaling deer strikes at mileages over 300,000; April 2016 (300,000) and April 2018 (350,000). I've spent over 8,500 hours driving it (estimated - 386,000 miles at an average 45 MPH) and probably somewhere north of 500 hours maintaining it (a guess). And God only knows how many wasted hours on E90 post...

This has been the best BMW I've owned (I have 4 now and a fifth one was a 1989 E30). With the N52, the E90 is very reliable and ages very well, which entices one to maintain it. All in all it has cost just 9 cents per mile to maintain with me DIY'ing all but a few things that I do not have the tools to accomplish (alignments and the AC compressor).

If you are a reasonably accomplished home auto mechanic, owning a E90 over 200,000 miles can be a rewarding experience. The E90 community here on E90 Post is great too.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0