E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 N52 - 002A37 (Valvetronic Sensor) and 002E85 (Pump comms) Errors

12-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
niteshadesc2
Rank Novice BMW owner.
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi w/ CIC 6spd Manual

E90 N52 - 002A37 (Valvetronic Sensor) and 002E85 (Pump comms) Errors

Good Evening All,

Recently (about 2 weeks ago it started) I have been having some check engine codes popping up.

Car: 2009 E90 328xi, with a N52B30AE engine, Naturally Aspirated. 152,000 KM (95,000 Miles)

These issues I believe are unrelated:

1st:
002A37 (Valvetronic, eccentric shaft sensor: plausibility)
Only occurs on start, and when the engine is cold starting (which In Canada, in the winter, is often). Once the engine is warm and running at operating temperatures, I can clear the code, and it does not repeat until the car is cold again (a couple of hours or more later). Presents itself with an initial high RPM on start, and a rough starting as the engine adjust the RPM in the 800-1400RPM range. Settles to normal after 8 to 10 seconds.

My research through google, youtube, and here, says this is a faulty Sensor (Part Number 11377524879). Some people have said it in other threads it may be a harness issue. I have taken the Connector out (not the sensor out of the valve cover), and while it was clean, and did not show any oil contamination, I blew some contact cleaner in the connector and gave the sensor pins a light cleaning. Problem still presents itself.

2nd Issue:
002E85: Electric Collant Pump, Communication
Again, only sends a code when cold. No issues once at running temperatures. Pump functions normally though (even cold) - as I was able to conduct the electric pump bleed function successfully. Running Temperature sensors appear to be reporting normal at 80-82 degrees Centegrade. No visible leaks or damage anywhere. Cleaning the sensor connection has not been done (no hoist readily available for about a week or 2).

My conclusion: Time to replace the electric water pump, thermostat, and such.

Anyone want to second guess my thoughts, or maybe have some insights? Especially before I go spend $400 on a sensor, and another $400 on Pump Parts?

Thanks,

Niteshade
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
niteshadesc2
Rank Novice BMW owner.
Rep

Well I have decided to tackle them both, and am starting with the VVT ECC sensor first (and the Valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets, since it's about time to replace them.

If anyone has a thought on this whole mess, please let me know. I am all ears.

Brad
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
niteshadesc2
Rank Novice BMW owner.
Rep

Just an update.

Replaced the Eccentric Shaft Sensor today (as well as the valve cover gasket and related hardware). Problem has been resolved.

New problem: Error code 002D06 which points to the MAF sensor. Seeing as this did not present itself before, I am going to have to check the air lines and such, and clean out the connector and see what is up.

Intermittent comms error still persists for the water pump. More to follow.

Niteshade
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
niteshadesc2
Rank Novice BMW owner.
Rep

Another Update. Turns out on the installation of the valve cover gasket, a portion (on the intake side) didn't seat correctly, and was tucked in under the cover. Fortunately it didn't interfere with the cams, but did leave a small gap allowing both air to enter the camshaft cover area (and causing air to be added to the vacuum created by the engine through the CCV), AND also some oil to be both sucked in through the CCV pipe, and externally on the intake side of the engine. There was a lot of oil in the intake manifold, which I cleaned out with a ton of brake clean and some rags. Joy.

In re-seating the gasket, it solved the vacuum problem, and eliminated the MAF code.

I also changed the oil filter housing gasket, but in doing so put coolant all over the serpentine belt - so now I have to remove the belt (and replace it), and clean the belt journals with brake clean (and a small engine tray cleanup).
Does the work ever end? LOL
Niteshade
Appreciate 0