E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Alpine PXE- H650 Install Help please!!

09-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Alistair330
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Alpine PXE- H650 Install Help please!!

(Originally posted incorrectly on the UK classifieds section)

Hi all,
I'm relatively new to the e90 post, having only recently bought a e90 330d M sport as a replacement to my e87 123d, however I've already gained a lot of useful info from the forum!

I've been doing basic audio installs/upgrades for many years now but I've never really gone deaper than the std speaker and amp installs.

In the two years I owned the 123d I installed replacement speakers and amps (My copy of the BMW Alpine upgrade - now installed in the 330d - see below) but was never that impressed with the sound. I put it heavily down to the size and location of the 4" speakers and the heavily EQ'd HU. Why BMW didn't install 5 1/4" components I don't know as it would have made things a lot easier and cheaper!! (4" comps are so over priced compared to 5 1/4")

Now... In the 330d I've found the sound to be even worse than the e87. Although all my aduio has been transplanted from the e87 to the e90, I think the extra size of the e90 is further highlighting the lack of rear staging and heavily front focused EQ'd sound. I know many people argue that the rears should only provide 'rear fill' but I prefer a fuller sound that fills the cabin, rather than all the sound hitting you from the front. Probably comes from older cars where the sound was heavily rear biased.

So, getting to the point, I've now purchased an Alpine PXE-H650 Processor, which was going cheap on Fle-bay (Factory Reconditioned) to try and fix the EQ issue. I know the JBL MS8 / JL Cleansweap are the most popular on the forum but they are more than 3x the price I paid for the Alpine, and I just can't stretch to it.

Has anyone Installed an Alpine pxe-h650 Sound processor, who could give advise on how to wire it up for best results? I've had a good search of the forum, but can find very little info on it.

My current set up:

Professional HU (Originally std UK 6 speaker)

4" MB Quart Components (Front) (Tweeters added)
4" HiFonics (Made by MB Quart) Coaxial's Rear.
Custom Made acrylic speaker adaptors (Front)
Alpine MRP-T222 2Ch Amp powering Components
Alpine MRP-M352 Class D Monoblock Amp powering std Underseat Subs/Mids

Future plans, depending on advice are to replace OEM 6.5" Under seat Subs with Earthquake 6.5" Subs. These are half the price of the 8" Earthquakes and as I dont indent to use them for Sub-Bass but improved Low end Mid bass I think they will work nicely. I'll add a true Sub in the boot/trunk if required.

I'll try to add a few photos of my current install when I get chance.

Any help suggestions greatly appreciated!!
      09-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Smaller drivers (i.e. 4" vs 5.25 or 6) have less beaming in the upper freq range of the driver. 8+4+T is a good 3-way setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Alistair330
United Kingdom
Rep

I would normally agree, but given the position of the 8" (which is only 6.5" in my case) I believe it is difficult to actually achieve a good 3-way system. In the std (Base system) too much is asked of the 4" mids. If they were a little bigger they would be able to produce better Low end mid frequencies without distorting.

Generally, you have to pay a lot more for a 4" mid which will perform as good as a 5 1/4" mid (cerntainly in the UK).

However I appreciate that alot of this is based on the quality of the setting up of cross-overs and filters.
      09-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Alistair330
United Kingdom
Rep

Can anyone comment on the use of the 6.5" Earthquake Mids/Subs? or reccoment a "PAIR" of 8" subs that can be installed for a similar price?

I already have the Ground Zero spacer and adaptor that I purchased for the 123d, but never fitted. I believe this can be fitted in the e90 and increases the mounting depth to just over 80mm.

Any suggesetions??
      09-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Alistair330
United Kingdom
Rep

Ground Zero Spacer:
Attached Images

09-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Jenherts and SWS-8s are well known to be fitted in that enclosure.
      09-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

An 8" an 4" should have nooo trouble meeting somewhere in the 150-350hz range.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair330 View Post

Has anyone Installed an Alpine pxe-h650 Sound processor, who could give advise on how to wire it up for best results? I've had a good search of the forum, but can find very little info on it.

Any help suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Hi mate,

Here is my post using the h660...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660927

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Alistair330
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the Link!
Nice install !!

How have you found the H660?

I have the slightly older H6[B]50B].

I've installed it, but am not impressed with the sound and having to use the remote to control the volume is rubbish.