E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Free manitenance work on US car

03-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
e90_guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Free manitenance work on US car

I have an import e90 and the rear brake service light was on last week. I know BMW does not cover free maintenance on US car. So I called BMW USA and to make sure that I'm still qualify for the free maintenance service. The BMW rep told me that I can no longer receive free maintenance service because it was transferred to Canada (he asked me about the clearance recall letter). I'm just want to verify if this really the case?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

I was under the impression that all warranty work and service work would be performed free of charge on a U.S. car just as it is on Canadian cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
e90_guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3magine View Post
I was under the impression that all warranty work and service work would be performed free of charge on a U.S. car just as it is on Canadian cars.
Yes for warranty work but no for maintenance (oil change, brake job etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

OP....go to an american dealership and you will be covered for the maintenance.
I have a US imported BMW and went to Towne BMW in Buffalo to do my maintenance work. Loved it as I got brand new rotors/pads replaced for free front and rear (not included for canadian cars/maintenance).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
mabman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

I have a US car and live in Canada and have taken it to Buffalo for maintenance work (during the first 4 years) and it is all done no charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
e90_guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
OP....go to an american dealership and you will be covered for the maintenance.
I have a US imported BMW and went to Towne BMW in Buffalo to do my maintenance work. Loved it as I got brand new rotors/pads replaced for free front and rear (not included for canadian cars/maintenance).
That's what I planning to do but I spoke to BMW USA today and the guy told me I would no longer receive free maintenance service because my car was "transferred" to Canada. I'm not sure whether this is true or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

You have 2 guys that just posted they were able to do it. What more do you need?

Up to you with what you want to do now.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
You have 2 guys that just posted they were able to do it. What more do you need?

Up to you with what you want to do now.
+1
no harm in trying. if you end up paying for it, you're still ahead since it's cheaper in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
mabman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

How does BMW USA know that the car is now a Canadian car ? I never had to transfer any paperwork with BMW USA or Canada. Also, my car has Ontario license plates on it and the Buffalo BMW dealership still serviced me under warranty. I think BMW USA is giving you the run around similiar to the way BMW Canada tells Canadians how difficult it is to import a used BMW from the USA.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
Kanuk_Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabman View Post
How does BMW USA know that the car is now a Canadian car ? I never had to transfer any paperwork with BMW USA or Canada. Also, my car has Ontario license plates on it and the Buffalo BMW dealership still serviced me under warranty. I think BMW USA is giving you the run around similiar to the way BMW Canada tells Canadians how difficult it is to import a used BMW from the USA.
Long time Reader, first time poster. I just bought a 2012 F10 528xi and plan to import it next month.

Mabman, When you went to customs and ultimately the RIV and provided them with the Recall Clearance letter, doesn't this mean that the VIN is now transferred from the US to Canada and all warranty service is now the responsibility of the Canadian dealer?

Desi4Life - Any specific SA that you dealt with or even the service managers's name you dealt with for Maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuk_Machine View Post
Long time Reader, first time poster. I just bought a 2012 F10 528xi and plan to import it next month.

Mabman, When you went to customs and ultimately the RIV and provided them with the Recall Clearance letter, doesn't this mean that the VIN is now transferred from the US to Canada and all warranty service is now the responsibility of the Canadian dealer?

Desi4Life - Any specific SA that you dealt with or even the service managers's name you dealt with for Maintenance?
Don't plan on ever getting a Canadian BMW dealer to honour the warranty on a US car. A few years ago, they tried insisting on changing the speedometer at $1800 before they would do any work on a US imported car. Then when that didn't work, they tried insisting on a $300 "inspection". I don't think they do that any more either. But the attitude still survives.

On the other hand, I have always had excellent service at Towne BMW in Buffalo. They don't care where the car is registered, and besides, the US warranty is better than the Canadian one anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
e90_guy
Private First Class
Rep

I contacted BMW NA and this is the reply from them:

The BMW Full Maintenance program is only valid on United States specification vehicles serviced within the United States, and will not be honored on a vehicle that has been exported to Canada. We suggest contacting your local BMW center for more information. Should you need it, you will find a complete listing of authorized BMW centers in Canada at http://www.bmw.ca, under "Find a Retailer."

Long story short, I had the brake replaced by an indep shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Kanuk_Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_guy View Post
I contacted BMW NA and this is the reply from them:

The BMW Full Maintenance program is only valid on United States specification vehicles serviced within the United States, and will not be honored on a vehicle that has been exported to Canada. We suggest contacting your local BMW center for more information. Should you need it, you will find a complete listing of authorized BMW centers in Canada at http://www.bmw.ca, under "Find a Retailer."

Long story short, I had the brake replaced by an indep shop.
Thanks for the reply. Just something I noticed though. It seems you are trying to go through 'official' channels by contacting BMWNA and trying to get the official word. Which, in theory is correct because they are only reciting what they know and are told.

However Mabman and Desi4Life have reported going up to the Buffalo and speaking with the dealer independently who is completing the work under the maintenance program.

I know you live in BC, But perhaps you could try driving down to Seattle and speaking with a dealer directly to see if they'll help you out?....Just a thought.
      04-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I had free brake pads done at Towne and had a free warranty water pump replacement done at BMW Autohaus.

Therefore:

a. Maintenance for cars under warranty is covered in US on a car exported out of the US to Canada.

b. Warranty work on a US import is covered in Canada.

So both BMW US and BMW Canada are giving you horse shit because their reps are probably ignorant (being generous).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
islandbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 SG

I live in Victoria...took our US imported 335 to Kuni BMW in Portland as we were down there anyway , the service was free and 10 times better than any other dealer I've ever been to.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
RockyDogg
Private
Rep
Drives: TBD

When I had my US imported 335i I had maintenance and warranty service done at Seattle BMW, all for free as it was within the first 4 years.

As well, the BMW Seattle dealership was able to confirm the CPO for the car was still intact and 'in the system'.

The car was originally imported from a dealership in Florida and was a CPO car.

However this was a few years ago (2009) and I have since sold the car here in Vancouver.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0