E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Filters from E Bay UK

08-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E-90 320D M Sport

Filters from E Bay UK

Previously I ordered 1 x oil filter and 1 x air filter for my E90 320d, these were Mahle brand and on the box country of manufacture was Austria.

Last week I ordered the exact same filters from another seller but this time the items were stated as genuine Bosch brand. Today I receive the filters and the following is mentioned on the box.

On the oil filter it states made in Austria
On the air filter it states made in China

When I compare the Bosch air filter and the Mahle air filter visually the Bosch filter looks like its not up to the same spec as the Mahle.

Bosch has stated that on the box there should be a stamp claiming its a genuine Bosch part.

Just checking if any UK guys know of any dodgy Bay sellers passing off aftermarket China crap as Genuine Bosch ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

In what way do you think the air filter is inferior to the Mahle one.
The photo you have posted looks like a majority of air filters currently available.
It is an unfortunate fact of life these days that the Global Economy means that even dear old Robert Bosch has to count the pennies when getting products manufactured and it is possible that he ships this out to the Chinese rather than paying through the nose to get a European factory to produce the goods.
Admittedly China is responsible for a lot of poor quality products but their investment in manufacturing infrastructure certainly puts a lot of Western Europe to shame and is such that "made in China" no longer automatically means "crap item"!
I bet you have even written this on a Chinese built phone / tablet / PC or at least one assembled elsewhere from Chinese made components! Most of my Macbook and I-phone bits and bobs are made in China and how much more American can you get than Apple?
It is after all a piece of paper with rubber around it so if you are concerned why do you not call the Bosch UK office in Uxbridge and ask them if they source filters from China?
Please let us know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
In what way do you think the air filter is inferior to the Mahle one.
The photo you have posted looks like a majority of air filters currently available.
It is an unfortunate fact of life these days that the Global Economy means that even dear old Robert Bosch has to count the pennies when getting products manufactured and it is possible that he ships this out to the Chinese rather than paying through the nose to get a European factory to produce the goods.
Admittedly China is responsible for a lot of poor quality products but their investment in manufacturing infrastructure certainly puts a lot of Western Europe to shame and is such that "made in China" no longer automatically means "crap item"!
I bet you have even written this on a Chinese built phone / tablet / PC or at least one assembled elsewhere from Chinese made components! Most of my Macbook and I-phone bits and bobs are made in China and how much more American can you get than Apple?
It is after all a piece of paper with rubber around it so if you are concerned why do you not call the Bosch UK office in Uxbridge and ask them if they source filters from China?
Please let us know what they say.

I sent a mail to Bosch UK and they told me the following

If your product has an authenticity seal you can check if it is a genuine Bosch product or not. Just visit http://www.protect.bosch.com/ and follow the instructions provided.

I then sent a further mail informing them both boxes I have do not have the authenticity and how to proceed if no seal.

I also asked them if they have a Bosch approved vendor manufacturing Bosch filters in China.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger007 View Post
I sent a mail to Bosch UK and they told me the following

If your product has an authenticity seal you can check if it is a genuine Bosch product or not. Just visit http://www.protect.bosch.com/ and follow the instructions provided.

I then sent a further mail informing them both boxes I have do not have the authenticity and how to proceed if no seal.

I also asked them if they have a Bosch approved vendor manufacturing Bosch filters in China.
i had the same problem a while ago with ferodo discs/pads..the pads were deffo real.checked out on the ferodo website,,but the discs didnt have a hologram seal and didnt have the right number for the ferodo fraud website,,had a right job with mr auto(supposed to be reputable) the discs were very bad and even worse on my e46,,had them taken off the rear and pagid on and the difference was night and day...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #5
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It would have helped if they had confirmed that without a seal the parts are not genuine but at least you got a reply!

It could be that neither of your filters are bona fide Bosch parts and you have to choose whether to get them refunded or fit them anyway.

Just a thought, if the air filter was stamped "made in Austria" would it be on the car by now and we would not be having this conversation?

It strikes me that it is definitely a case of caveat emptor when buying online and there are many vendors around the world that have less scruples than we would like them to have.

For the record, I am not pro-Chinese manufacturing I was simply making the point that there has been a shift in production of most items from the West to the East.

I have been caught out myself before with a thermostat that I purchased online as a "genuine Quintin Hazell" product but when it turned up it was in an unmarked box with no identification on the item itself. I complained to the seller who bluntly told me that they were made in the same factory as Quintin Hazell thermostats and I could return it for a refund if I was not happy.

Did I believe him? No. Was it worth spending £5 to return a £10 item? No.

I fitted it anyway and touch wood it has been fine but lesson learned!

TBH if this had happened with a safety critical part like Rasa's brakes I certainly would not have gone ahead and used it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
It would have helped if they had confirmed that without a seal the parts are not genuine but at least you got a reply!

It could be that neither of your filters are bona fide Bosch parts and you have to choose whether to get them refunded or fit them anyway.

Just a thought, if the air filter was stamped "made in Austria" would it be on the car by now and we would not be having this conversation?

It strikes me that it is definitely a case of caveat emptor when buying online and there are many vendors around the world that have less scruples than we would like them to have.

For the record, I am not pro-Chinese manufacturing I was simply making the point that there has been a shift in production of most items from the West to the East.

I have been caught out myself before with a thermostat that I purchased online as a "genuine Quintin Hazell" product but when it turned up it was in an unmarked box with no identification on the item itself. I complained to the seller who bluntly told me that they were made in the same factory as Quintin Hazell thermostats and I could return it for a refund if I was not happy.

Did I believe him? No. Was it worth spending £5 to return a £10 item? No.

I fitted it anyway and touch wood it has been fine but lesson learned!

TBH if this had happened with a safety critical part like Rasa's brakes I certainly would not have gone ahead and used it.

Yes you are 100% correct if had not viewed the made in China part I would have went ahead and fitted.

After my second mail Bosch UK have remained silent.

When I sent a message to the Bay seller asking to confirm the items are genuine and not aftermarket, the told me they are genuine and supplied by Bosch.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #7
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep

Received the following from Bosch UK.

F 026 400 119 filter is manufactured in China. The Bosch Filter production network is based on a global production network & every Filter needs to pass the same standard quality procedures and ISO norms in order to be released by the product management team.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

F 026 400 119 filter is manufactured in China.
Thanks for the update. Now we know!
Appreciate 0