E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07 328i sensors question

08-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328XI

07 328i sensors question

I just bought a 328i and I have a few questions. There is a sensor laying under the hood and I can't figure out where it should be mounted at. The sensor is this one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-1-3...-/271724465021).

The steering wheel and radio have a phone button but there is no option in the radio input for phone. I have tried holding the phone button in and it does nothing. How do I pair my phone up with it?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

The sensor I believe is the one that goes on the left side of your cowl.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Handy E9x References, Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Style View Post
I just bought a 328i and I have a few questions. [1] There is a sensor laying under the hood and I can't figure out where it should be mounted at. The sensor is this one...[2] The steering wheel and radio have a phone button but there is no option in the radio input for phone. I have tried holding the phone button in and it does nothing. How do I pair my phone up with it?
Welcome to the Forum!

1) That looks like the AUC sensor which monitors outside air quality and if the Climate Control (IHKA) system is operating on outside air that becomes polluted by exhaust fumes, etc., it causes the IHKA module to switch air supply for the Blower to Recirculation Mode instead of Outside Air (which is filtered by the microfilter located at the top-front of the firewall). The AUC is located on the vehicle right or US Passenger side of the firewall.

As shown in the attached photo, it is mounted in a circular bracket -- insert into ring and twist ~ 60 degrees. The upper microfilter housing is removed (along with the filter itself) in the photo. Also shown in the photo are the Windshield Washer Fluid filler cap, and immediately behind that, the red plastic cover of the Jumpstart Terminal. If you ever need to Jumpstart the vehicle, charge the battery, or measure battery voltage with a multimeter, use the underhood terminals rather than the battery itself in the trunk.

Finally, the white plastic cover shown in the photo is the cover for the sealed case containing the DME (Engine ECU).

2) Whether or not you can Pair a particular Bluetooth mobile phone with the vehicle depends upon several things.
a) does your vehicle have the Option "Full Preparation Package Mobile Phone" which is BMW Option# S639, and b) is your phone compatible with the system. You can find out what options your vehicle is equipped with by entering your VIN in the following VIN Decoder:
https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online
If your vehicle has that option, it originally came with a separate "Owner's Manual for Full Preparation Package Mobile Phone", a 25-page guide to use of various functions, including step-by-step instructions on deleting old pairings and creating new ones. If you don't have that Manual, you can download one at the site linked in the attached "Handy E9x References.

If you have any questions about any of the References or Links, please advise.

I'll attach a photo of the AUC to a separate post to avoid page-width issues.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Handy E9x References.pdf (215.1 KB, 118 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

AUC Sensor Photo

Attached Photo of AUC sensor, 2007 328xi E91
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks you. My car is missing that piece of plastic that the sensor mounts in. Can it be ordered? Can someone take a picture of there engine bay so I can see if anything else is missing?

I tried using the vin decoder and I didn't understand it. I attached a picture of what it showed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The mount for AUC sensor is molded into the the bottom cabin airfilter tray, which is a $100 part.

64316924277 is the tray P/N.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks I get a picture of my engine bay and post it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

1) That looks like the AUC sensor which monitors outside air quality and if the Climate Control (IHKA) system is operating on outside air that becomes polluted by exhaust fumes, etc., it causes the IHKA module to switch air supply for the Blower to Recirculation Mode instead of Outside Air (which is filtered by the microfilter located at the top-front of the firewall). The AUC is located on the vehicle right or US Passenger side of the firewall.

As shown in the attached photo, it is mounted in a circular bracket -- insert into ring and twist ~ 60 degrees. The upper microfilter housing is removed (along with the filter itself) in the photo. Also shown in the photo are the Windshield Washer Fluid filler cap, and immediately behind that, the red plastic cover of the Jumpstart Terminal. If you ever need to Jumpstart the vehicle, charge the battery, or measure battery voltage with a multimeter, use the underhood terminals rather than the battery itself in the trunk.

Finally, the white plastic cover shown in the photo is the cover for the sealed case containing the DME (Engine ECU).

2) Whether or not you can Pair a particular Bluetooth mobile phone with the vehicle depends upon several things.
a) does your vehicle have the Option "Full Preparation Package Mobile Phone" which is BMW Option# S639, and b) is your phone compatible with the system. You can find out what options your vehicle is equipped with by entering your VIN in the following VIN Decoder:
https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online
If your vehicle has that option, it originally came with a separate "Owner's Manual for Full Preparation Package Mobile Phone", a 25-page guide to use of various functions, including step-by-step instructions on deleting old pairings and creating new ones. If you don't have that Manual, you can download one at the site linked in the attached "Handy E9x References.

If you have any questions about any of the References or Links, please advise.

I'll attach a photo of the AUC to a separate post to avoid page-width issues.

George
I'm having trouble finding the download link for the manuals. What do I need to click on?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

To pair the phone:

If your car is Bluetooth equipped (you should have an SOS switch in the ceiling console as a tell tale sign), the BMW professional radio has a long button above the volume control (input button). Press that and the input menu comes up. The phone should come up as --. Press the phone input and the radio will ask to pair the phone. Use your phone's pairing function to find the car. IIRC the code to use to activate the paring is the car's last 7 of the VIN.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I don't have a SOS button and the radio only show CD, aux and radio for the input. I took a picture of the engine bay and radio. Hopefully someone can tell me what all is missing from the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I don't have a SOS button and the radio only show CD, aux and radio for the input. I took a picture of the engine bay and radio. Hopefully someone can tell me what all is missing from the engine bay.
I'll respond regarding the Bluetooth pairing & Options stuff in another post. Your first concern should be the "Microfilter Housings."

The good news is you have a very clean engine compartment. If you just cleaned it and hosed anything down (see water on windshield, better check the passenger footwell for any sign of water. Without the upper microfilter housing in place (attaches to the two rectangular openings in the upper firewall -- air plenum) water gets into those openings, into the A/C blower, in the footwells, etc. NOT GOOD for the blower, A/C system, JB fuse panel, etc.

Let us know if you have the upper & lower microfilter housings (about 4 to 5 feet in length). If you don't, that explains why the AUC was just "lying there."

George
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Engine Compartment, N52 Engine

Screenprint from Bentley, P. 020-24
Suggest downloading/getting that Manual (see Ref pdf)
Microfilter housings (upper & lower) #7 on legend
Housings/Covers from Left Wing/Fender to Right Wing

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then the car doesn't have Bluetooth. Bluetooth was a $750 (2006 pricing) option on the base cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

If that is a pic of your engine bay when you bought the car and you've not removed anything from the engine bay since you purchased it, then there are several parts missing:

1 - The cabin airfilter
3 - upper part (tray)
2 - lower part (tray)
5 - The ECU cover on the left (passenger side)
4 - The brake master cylinder cover on the right (drivers side)
NS - The round cable tray (that goes behind the rectangular one sitting on the engine.
19 - 6 ea. fasteners for the cabin airfilter upper tray
18 - 2 ea. M6 machine screws for the lower cabin airfliter
NS - weather stripping on the lower tray (hood closes on it)
15 - weather stripping between the lower tray and cowling

*numbers equate to item numbers in the drawing. P/Ns are in blue. RealOEM.com - learn how to use it.

NS = Not Shown

Where and who in the hell did you get that car?
Attached Images

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-20-2018 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

it was like that when i bought it I bought it from a local dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm having trouble finding the download link for the manuals. What do I need to click on?
I don't understand which "download link" you mean, or which "manuals."

For example, if you click on the first link in the "References" List, http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php
you should get a page showing a picture of the Cover of the Manual: BMW 3 Series Service Manual. Under that Cover Picture is a button that says [Get the Manual] -- click on that button. The manual is 1265 pages, and the file is a 194 MB file that takes about 2 minutes to download.

For TIS Manual (2nd link in "References" List), go to the following link and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN. Save/Bookmark the URL that comes up after VIN entry, and you will NOT have to go through that step on later connections.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

You should check to see that you have the CORRECT last 7 of your VIN for entry in various sites linked. The VIN Decoder that I linked works fine today for me, using MY VIN, but does NOT work using the VIN last 7 you entered beginning with "PG."

George
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If that is a pic of your engine bay when you bought the car and you've not removed anything from the engine bay since you purchased it, then there are several parts missing:

1 - The cabin airfilter upper and lower tray (two separate parts).
2 - The ECU cover on the left (passenger side)
3 - The brake master cylinder cover on the right (drivers side)
4 - The round cable tray (that goes behind the rectangular one sitting on the engine.
5 - 6 ea. fasteners for the cabin airfilter upper tray
6 - 2 ea. M6 machine screws for the lower cabin airfliter
7 - weather stripping on the lower tray (hood closes on it)
8 - weather stripping between the lower tray and cowling.

Where and who in the hell did you get that car?

Do you have all the part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #19
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Warranty Issue?

Quote:
it was like that when i bought it I bought it from a local dealership.
What state are you/the "Dealership" located in?
What type of "Dealership" did you buy from -- a BMW Dealer? A general used-car dealership?
Did ANYONE there say anything about those parts being missing?
Was there anything in writing regarding missing components, AS IS, etc.?
When did you sign the sales paperwork (date) and do you have a written warranty of any kind?

George
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #20
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm in Ohio and I bought it from a good size dealership. No one told me about any of that stuff missing and I bought it as is with no warranty. I bought it yesterday.

Last edited by OG Style; 08-20-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #21
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep

Am I missing the circled parts also?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #22
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Ohio and I bought it from a good size dealership (https://www.coughlincars.com). No one told me about any of that stuff missing and I bought it as is with no warranty. I bought it yesterday.
There are STATE "Lemon Laws" and other laws regulating sales of used cars that differ from state to state. In some states, you can return the vehicle within X days for certain reasons, so you need to know your rights (if any) quickly before putting mileage on vehicle.

You can look for any applicable law in Ohio by Googling "Ohio Code." For example, here is one site that provides free online access to the entire Ohio Code, and here is the link to the Chapter on "Motor Vehicle Dealers..."
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4517

Consulting with a local lawyer who knows Ohio law on motor vehicle sales, even just to have him advise you or write a letter (no litigation which is WAAY more expensive than used parts) is going to cost as much or more than the missing parts.

What I WOULD advise: there's a remote possibility that someone who detailed the vehicle for the Dealer, whether an employee or an independent contractor (independent detailer) removed those parts to clean, and simply "forgot" to reinstall them. The vehicle looks clean and in good condition generally, and it's hard to imagine a rational way someone would have pilfered those parts at the dealership.

I would go back to the Dealer (with a friend as a witness), driving the vehicle if Dealer nearby, and in as even-tempered manner as you can, do the following, acting as though you believe the dealer is honest and had no knowledge of the missing parts (and doesn't know BMW's well enough to know the parts were missing):
1) Show Dealer's agent the area where parts are missing;
2) Take printout of parts diagram (per Efthreeoh) and engine compartment photo, and make sure he understands what is missing;
3) Ask him how they obtained the vehicle (at auction, in trade, etc.);
4) Ask if there was any inspection of the vehicle by any agent of the dealer to determine condition, missing components, etc.
5) Ask him if he will at least undertake to try to find why the parts are missing, such as a detailer or anyone else who worked on the vehicle.

Be aware that one SHOULD remove ALL the parts you are missing, just to take the Top Engine Cover or Coil Cover off, to do ANY thing on the engine, from changing plugs, inspecting coils, injector connectors, etc., so it is again POSSIBLE that someone removed the stuff and "forgot" to replace it.

Good luck,
George
Appreciate 0