E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Question for any Martial Arts people

09-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Question for any Martial Arts people

Many years ago I did a bit of kickboxing, not to any sort of high standard - then I stopped due to general laziness.

Fast forward 12 years or so (now aged 37) I thought I'd get back into it again, mainly to get in shape, as I'm probably 3 or 4 stone heavier than when I used to do it

Started a class Tuesday night - and despite hitting the gym regularly recently, my god am I out of shape but I'll get there.

However, my main concern is a very sharp and deep pain in each hip when I try a round-house kick - pretty severe when I do the kick, but subsides straight away and no real pain thereafter

Questions;

- am I too old for this shit?

- is it normal? - some of the guys there mentioned the hip "opening up" and not being used to it, so it should subside

09-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
finleyg
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

hip pointer

Sounds like you might have a hip pointer. I have been kickboxing and grappling for 25 years. I just ruined myself this spring at age 44. Most guys, myself included, get all excited when kicking pads or the heavy bag and over do it. You have to take a step back, slow down and just do the very least amount of movement and slowly over weeks build up to some speed and power.

I herniated my l5-S1 disc doing a stupid spinning back kick to show off.. That was in May. I am just now getting back to the heavy bag for light punching, elbows, knees and I am just getting my foot up to the thigh height on the bag to start rebuilding. I am not kicking the bag hard enough to even hurt my foot. You have to take your time.

I also advise warming up with very light slow motions for 10 mins before even attempting kicks. I think you can get through this, but if you don't get better in a week or two, I would definitely see a doc....

Good Luck! I can't wait to get back to some Muay Thai round kicks.....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
finleyg
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

not too old.

Oh, and I forgot, you're not too old. at 44, I could roundhouse the pads harder than the college kids in my last Muay Thai class, and make the instructor, who fights amateur bouts regularly wince when I wanted, and although I weigh 215 lbs, I'm fat and not that good. Just years of repetition and getting my torso rotation down.

BTW, old dudes generally can take pain better than the kids...

Not that 44 is old.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
My addition:

I did karate to brown belt (as a nipper) then kickboxing for 7 years including teaching the class the circuits side and some basic techniques to beginners as well as national competition - best place 4th in UK in my weight category (middle) but only very briefly!

In that time I knackered my knee four times, dislocated my shoulder a few times and popped my hip twice - every time was due to insufficient stretching and warming up.

Sadly when I moved down here (from Bristol) there were no decent clubs so I train at home - weights, circuits and knocking seven bells out of my 30kg kick/punchbag.

I'm a smallish bloke (5'8" and just under 12 stone) which may or may not make a difference? I was well over 12 stone when I really hit the weights but it slowed me right down so upped the cardio and lost a bit.

I'd see a good sports physio - hip injuries (still carrying a minor one which physio has helped almost sort) can be pretty nasty. And no you're not too old. I'm 34.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
on a different note,

you guys should watch "IP MAN".....its on youtube atm in 11 episodes....great film!!! about wing chun kung fu, if u like martial arts....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
on a different note,

you guys should watch "IP MAN".....its on youtube atm in 11 episodes....great film!!! about wing chun kung fu, if u like martial arts....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D M Sport

Just watched it twice and it was the same both times
Appreciate 0