E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Car for 18 year old

09-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #23
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Gav, re: the insurance, why don't you consider using Direct Line and take out the insurance for the car in your name. Put your step-daughter down as a named driver, and she will start to earn no-claims bonus as well as that's the policy of DLine... might be cheaper than her own policy.

Re: car, have you considered a Smart ForTwo? I know they're only two seaters, but that's not necessarily such a bad thing for a young driver (less mates in the car can sometimes mean less hassle & danger!!) There are 2002/2003 RHD Passions out there with 50-60k on the clock - very reliable, extremely safe, dirt cheap to run, dirt cheap to service, and she can change the colour of the bodypanels very easily to something she likes!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I passed in 2005. Just looking at driving license and it says its valid till 2014. WTF do I have to pay for another one in the future??

DVLA are money grabbers if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #25
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 & BIG Porsche

When I was 18 some 13 years ago I was lucky enough to be able to drive my mums car.

A Citroen BX

GTI

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #26
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Gav, re: the insurance, why don't you consider using Direct Line and take out the insurance for the car in your name. Put your step-daughter down as a named driver, and she will start to earn no-claims bonus as well as that's the policy of DLine... might be cheaper than her own policy.

Re: car, have you considered a Smart ForTwo? I know they're only two seaters, but that's not necessarily such a bad thing for a young driver (less mates in the car can sometimes mean less hassle & danger!!) There are 2002/2003 RHD Passions out there with 50-60k on the clock - very reliable, extremely safe, dirt cheap to run, dirt cheap to service, and she can change the colour of the bodypanels very easily to something she likes!
Thanks for the ideas mate. I'll look into the insurance and check out the Smart.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #27
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

My daughter has had a W plate fiesta for 5 years and will change for the new one when she qualifies in March. Failed an MOT only once on dicky wiper blade and bulb otherwise never let her down although she does low mileage.
Wife's had a corsa and a clio both from new for 3 years each and both excellent before going on to minis.
Old style ford ka is a rust bucket! IMO
You can't go wrong with any modern car as long as it's serviced but show her how to check tyres, oil and water etc and buy her a subscription to the AA or RAC at around 35