E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pad recomendation



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
73
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Brake Pad recomendation

Getting ready to do some maintenance on my 2008 E93. Brake sensor just went off and pads are low. Any recomendation on a set of new pads? Should I stick to OEM or are there cheaper better options? I will be adding a tune, dci, DP and FMIC at some point in the future so was thinking of a performance oriented pad. Don't want to brake the bank hoping to just replace pads and not pads and rotors. Rotors do not seem to have the lip on the edge and look in decent shape'.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
591
Rep
2,870
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOS07335i View Post
Getting ready to do some maintenance on my 2008 E93. Brake sensor just went off and pads are low. Any recomendation on a set of new pads? Should I stick to OEM or are there cheaper better options? I will be adding a tune, dci, DP and FMIC at some point in the future so was thinking of a performance oriented pad. Don't want to brake the bank hoping to just replace pads and not pads and rotors. Rotors do not seem to have the lip on the edge and look in decent shape'.
Performance orientation - cool carbon; they won't be cheap

DD - Akebono Euro Ceramic

Look into the ECS tuning brass sleeves; you will definitely see a difference in pedal feel.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
204
Rep
1,027
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Performance orientation - cool carbon; they won't be cheap

DD - Akebono Euro Ceramic

Look into the ECS tuning brass sleeves; you will definitely see a difference in pedal feel.
Bimmerworld or ECS is better? BW is $30 cheaper

http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...-Calipers.html

Cant find any diy...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
591
Rep
2,870
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Performance orientation - cool carbon; they won't be cheap

DD - Akebono Euro Ceramic

Look into the ECS tuning brass sleeves; you will definitely see a difference in pedal feel.
Bimmerworld or ECS is better? BW is $30 cheaper

http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...-Calipers.html

cant find any diy, is it easy to install?
ECS is better. ECS has a set of instructions they send you. It's not that difficult.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
204
Rep
1,027
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
ECS is better. ECS has a set of instructions they send you. It's not that difficult.
Is this necessary?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...t/003326ecs03/
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
nynyny
Private First Class
United_States
58
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I'd say stock pads. I've found many aftermarket pads are rather loud and unnecessary for DD and most HPDE. but to each thier own.
Appreciate 3
      12-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
591
Rep
2,870
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
ECS is better. ECS has a set of instructions they send you. It's not that difficult.
Is this necessary?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...t/003326ecs03/
It will make installing the sleeves a snap.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
ECSTuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
ECSTuning's Avatar
United_States
556
Rep
10,782
Posts


Drives: Independent Tuning Specialists
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to ECSTuning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
With aluminum calipers, it is HIGHLY suggested, for iron it just makes things a touch easier.

and 1+ on Akebono Euro Ceramic for daily driver pads.

-James
__________________

ECS Tuning your #1 source for all things German automotive
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
204
Rep
1,027
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
With aluminum calipers, it is HIGHLY suggested, for iron it just makes things a touch easier.

and 1+ on Akebono Euro Ceramic for daily driver pads.

-James
I wanna order it, but why does it costs SO MUCH + handling fee + brokerage fee to ship it to Canada?
Shipping alone is $40.... you guys don't ship with USPS?

Last edited by Blueeyesredpanda; 12-11-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
2670
Rep
54,298
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (37)

Lot of guys go with our Stoptech and Hawk brake package, which has optional brake lines.

Between the two Hawk pad options, HPS and 5.0. The 5.0 tend to have a softer brake pedal feel compared to HPS. So if you want that sport feel where the initial bite is stronger go with the HPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
I wanna order it, but it why does it costs SO MUCH + handling fee + brokerage fee to ship it to Canada?
Shipping alone is $40.... you guys don't ship with USPS?
Brake pads and rotors are very heavy. Even in the states our actual cost of shipping is in excess of $40 at times.
__________________
|Like us on Facebook||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |PURE Turbos| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|Price Match Guarantee + 5% Bonus Back* | |CTS| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Create an Account for up to 10% OFF!
Appreciate 1
FCobra941943.00

      12-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
204
Rep
1,027
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Lot of guys go with our Stoptech and Hawk brake package, which has optional brake lines.

Between the two Hawk pad options, HPS and 5.0. The 5.0 tend to have a softer brake pedal feel compared to HPS. So if you want that sport feel where the initial bite is stronger go with the HPS.


Brake pads and rotors are very heavy. Even in the states our actual cost of shipping is in excess of $40 at times.
No sorry. I am not ordering the brake pads instead i would like to order the ECS tuning brass sleeves.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
73
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I dont have any lip at all on the rotors. Can I just get away with changing out the pads? Also the rear brakes have like 80% meat on them. I think Im going to go with the standard StopTech Street pads for $60. While I'm there going to flush my brake system. Should I stick to the OEM brake fluid? Also I built this DYI Brake Bleeder from a deck spray paint canister. Cant wait to check it out. Check it out it's holding boost lol. If your going to build one make sure you get a clear one so you can see how much brake fluid you have left.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
2670
Rep
54,298
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOS07335i View Post
I dont have any lip at all on the rotors. Can I just get away with changing out the pads? Also the rear brakes have like 80% meat on them. I think Im going to go with the standard StopTech Street pads for $60. While I'm there going to flush my brake system. Should I stick to the OEM brake fluid? Also I built this DYI Brake Bleeder from a deck spray paint canister. Cant wait to check it out. Check it out it's holding boost lol. If your going to build one make sure you get a clear one so you can see how much brake fluid you have left.
Never know till you try with regards to pad change only. If you have vibrations, you know why. You can always throw new rotors on shortly after if there is an issue. For my personal vehicle the rotors were shot but the pads had plenty of meat on them. I still did Rotors Pads Lines and Fluid.

Upgrading fluid has it's benefits and drawbacks. Most 600F rated fluid has a shorter shelf life as its more prone to absorb moisture. But it has the ability to combat higher boiling temperatures.

If you're likely to maintain your brake fluid often, then yes upgrade. Motul 600 is probably our most popular seller. Otherwise stick to an OEM / OE spec fluid.
__________________
|Like us on Facebook||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |PURE Turbos| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|Price Match Guarantee + 5% Bonus Back* | |CTS| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Create an Account for up to 10% OFF!

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-12-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2389
Rep
6,070
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Go with this setup:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
      12-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
73
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Go with this setup:
LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
montr
Lieutenant
United_States
83
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Not a bad idea. Which wood? Oak?

Last edited by montr; 12-12-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Appreciate 1
feuer2389.00

      12-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2389
Rep
6,070
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
Not a bad idea. Which wood? Oak?
Oak will do! Just make sure you use the anti rattle wires or might experience vibrations
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #18
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Dan Bilzerian's Avatar
328
Rep
1,166
Posts

Drives: E90 325i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonds,WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
ECS is better. ECS has a set of instructions they send you. It's not that difficult.
Are you saying ecs is better because they have instructions?....
Appreciate 1
feuer2389.00

      12-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #19
mweisdorfer
Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
591
Rep
2,870
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
ECS is better. ECS has a set of instructions they send you. It's not that difficult.
Are you saying ecs is better because they have instructions?....
No. ECS tuning has a better product
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #20
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Dan Bilzerian's Avatar
328
Rep
1,166
Posts

Drives: E90 325i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonds,WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
No. ECS tuning has a better product
Could you explain how?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #21
mweisdorfer
Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
591
Rep
2,870
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
No. ECS tuning has a better product
Could you explain how?
1)The guide pins provided are 304 SS.
2)They are sealed with rubber gaskets internally.
3)They come with their own end caps.
4) The Brass used is C544

I don't see Bimmer World's set boasting 304 SS pins & C544 Brass. Also, they are not sealed with a rubber gasket. Last, Bimmer World's set does not come with end caps.

I looked at this set too before I bought the ECS version and did consider the cost factor.,

Fact is ECS's version is better quality, and is totally sealed from outside elements. If you you put some CRC Silaramic brake grease on the guide pins during install, you are golden.


A great idea "while you are in there" would would be to get ECS's 304 SS rotor screws. Very inexpensive and guarantee your not going to ever strip out and therefore have to drill out and tap the rotor screw hole (which sucks). They are Star & Allen compliant. Allen is the first fitting & then behind it is a star fitting deeper into the screw head.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Dan Bilzerian's Avatar
328
Rep
1,166
Posts

Drives: E90 325i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonds,WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
1)The guide pins provided are 304 SS.
2)They are sealed with rubber gaskets internally.
3)They come with their own end caps.
4) The Brass used is C544

I don't see Bimmer World's set boasting 304 SS pins & C544 Brass. Also, they are not sealed with a rubber gasket. Last, Bimmer World's set does not come with end caps.

I looked at this set too before I bought the ECS version and did consider the cost factor.,

Fact is ECS's version is better quality, and is totally sealed from outside elements. If you you put some CRC Silaramic brake grease on the guide pins during install, you are golden.


A great idea "while you are in there" would would be to get ECS's 304 SS rotor screws. Very inexpensive and guarantee your not going to ever strip out and therefore have to drill out and tap the rotor screw hole (which sucks). They are Star & Allen compliant. Allen is the first fitting & then behind it is a star fitting deeper into the screw head.
Roger that!
Just emailed bimmerworld to see what they're actually selling. Will most likely be going with ECS though.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST