E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > '06 325xi Feels like wheels are slipping.

11-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

'06 325xi Feels like wheels are slipping.

This just started happening 3 days ago. I have a manual 325xi with about 68k miles on it. I have no problems putting the car in gear and the car doesn't feel like it has lost any performance, but sometimes, I get this loss of power in the car when I'm going slow.

This only happens when I'm the lower side of RPMs. For example, today, I was driving, took a turn in 3rd gear and during the turn I slowed down to ~20 MPH. Ideally, I would put the car into 2nd, but I didn't and gave it more gas to get it to a proper speed for the gear it's in and the car felt like it lost power to the wheels momentarily, then came back, then lost power again, and then came back again. It feels like my wheel slipped on some ice and the car stopped accelerating, then immediately gripped the asphalt ahead of it and it came back. That's the best way I can think to explain it.

Is this just a case of a bad manual driver (car not being in proper gear) or could something be wrong? The car still works perfectly fine whenever I drive around and am shifting properly. It only happens when the RPMs are a bit too low, but still in the acceptable range for the gear it's in.

Edit - If anyone runs into this problem, I found out what was wrong for my car at least. I couldn't recreate the problem after my post so I just assumed everything was fine. Today, I got up for work and when I started to drive away with the car it started vibrating quite a bit. Bought an OBD2 tool and got Error code P0305 which is cylinder 5 misfire. Guess I'm changing the spark plugs and hoping that's the problem. Could be a fuel injector too.

Last edited by DarkRider23; 11-30-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Try cleaning out your Vanos solenoids, or solenoid as I think 325i only has 1. Valvetronic motor would be next suspect (more expensive).
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

clutch slippage?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
longnvu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 E92 E60 F30

sounds like your clutch is slipping
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
Try cleaning out your Vanos solenoids, or solenoid as I think 325i only has 1. Valvetronic motor would be next suspect (more expensive).
Will try that this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnvu View Post
sounds like your clutch is slipping
That was my initial reaction as well. Would having a hard time putting the car in gear while not moving be another symptom of a clutch going? It doesn't happen often, but the other day, I had to engage and disengage the clutch twice before the car would actually go into first.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Best money you can spend on this car is a Bentley Service Manual and the BT Tool (if getting INPA working is too complex for you)

Read the BMW specific codes and that will tell you what is going on with the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider23 View Post
That was my initial reaction as well. Would having a hard time putting the car in gear while not moving be another symptom of a clutch going? It doesn't happen often, but the other day, I had to engage and disengage the clutch twice before the car would actually go into first.
That's a sign of a dragging clutch, but that is a common issue with BMWs. Mine does it all the time. To check your clutch, put your car in 1st (some people suggest a higher gear) while stopped and the brake set. With the brake still set, pull the clutch out and see if the car stalls. If it stalls, the clutch is still good. If it doesn't, you've got a bad clutch.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
That's a sign of a dragging clutch, but that is a common issue with BMWs. Mine does it all the time. To check your clutch, put your car in 1st (some people suggest a higher gear) while stopped and the brake set. With the brake still set, pull the clutch out and see if the car stalls. If it stalls, the clutch is still good. If it doesn't, you've got a bad clutch.
Clutch definitely still stalls like it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
Best money you can spend on this car is a Bentley Service Manual and the BT Tool (if getting INPA working is too complex for you)

Read the BMW specific codes and that will tell you what is going on with the car.
Would this even help with it though? I'm not getting any codes thrown or anything when this happens, so it wouldn't help or would it? Thanks for the suggestion though. Didn't know about the INPA set up and I'll definitely be buying it now. I thought the only thing you could use was a BT Tool and I wasn't very keen on dropping $300 right now.

Oddly enough, I still haven't been able to recreate this problem in the past 2 days even though I've been trying to. I guess I'll just keep rolling with it until I notice it again. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Just curious but have you done the CDV mod yet? Not really directly related to this issue but it might aide in diagnosing your issue.

Are you getting any idiot lights when this occurs?
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Just curious but have you done the CDV mod yet? Not really directly related to this issue but it might aide in diagnosing your issue.

Are you getting any idiot lights when this occurs?
Nope, I haven't done the CDV mod.

And I just got my first check engine light today from the problem. Got a cylinder misfire while I was leaving for work today. I'm ordering new spark plugs and changing them as soon as they arrive. Hopefully, that's the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

It might be the coils. Those are usually more common.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

/\ This.
Marcelo knows his $hit when it comes to these engines.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
It might be the coils. Those are usually more common.
Thanks. Just ordered the ignition coil and will replace it when it arrives. If it still persists, I'll do the spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Be prepared to replace the rest of the coils. Usually when the first goes so do the rest one by one.
Appreciate 0