E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Suspension Refresh

04-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Rear Suspension Refresh

I just got done replacing front thrust arms. After feeling the difference, I am wondering what I should start replacing in the back.

I got 140k miles. In the rear I have M3 sway bar with new end links I put in about 20k miles go. Same with M3 subframe bushings. So those should be good.

So I am wondering, what normally wear out in the back on these cars first? Upper control arm? Toe arm?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
I just got done replacing front thrust arms. After feeling the difference, I am wondering what I should start replacing in the back.

I got 140k miles. In the rear I have M3 sway bar with new end links I put in about 20k miles go. Same with M3 subframe bushings. So those should be good.

So I am wondering, what normally wear out in the back on these cars first? Upper control arm? Toe arm?

Thanks in advance.
With 140,000 miles, I'd replace every bushing/ control arm in the rear subframe except what you have recently put in. M3 Differential bushings will compliment your M3 subframe bushings nicely.

Of course update your shocks & surrounding hardware if you haven't done that.

It's easiest to take the Differential out of the car and then the subframe. Once the subframe is out of the car, you can work on the control arms & bushings a lot easier then when it's still in place.

Also, a "while your in there" is SS brake lines. They are really easy to get too once the subframe is out of the car.

Just make sure you mark w/ white out where the slit is on the OEM bushings. The new ones should go in exactly as the old ones were in. If the slit has at 7 o'clock, then the new bushing should match as far as orientation goes when putting it in.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
With 140,000 miles, I'd replace every bushing/ control arm in the rear subframe except what you have recently put in. M3 Differential bushings will compliment your M3 subframe bushings nicely.

Of course update your shocks & surrounding hardware if you haven't done that.

It's easiest to take the Differential out of the car and then the subframe. Once the subframe is out of the car, you can work on the control arms & bushings a lot easier then when it's still in place.

Also, a "while your in there" is SS brake lines. They are really easy to get too once the subframe is out of the car.

Just make sure you mark w/ white out where the slit is on the OEM bushings. The new ones should go in exactly as the old ones were in. If the slit has at 7 o'clock, then the new bushing should match as far as orientation goes when putting it in.