E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Emissions question

09-06-2022, 02:44 AM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Emissions question

So I got my emissions done earlier this year in April I believe and got a 30 day registration recently because I guess i need to register right after doing the year long emissions so it carries me through the whole registration. Idk It confused me too.

Anyway so I went the next day and pulled in at about 3:40 and they close at 5. It's my turn so I pull up and start explaining to the guy how last time they told me I don't need to get out of the car because they don't have a test for my vehicle (2011 bmw 335d). Well before I can finish he cuts me off saying "I'll test anybodys car" with a little chuckle... and I notice he's got a trainee with him... shit. So I step out he puts in the OBD2 thing and I fail for DPF and EGR not ready or something.

As I get back in my car and I'm waiting for him to hand me the piece of paper he's talking to the trainee "when people try to give you advice like that..." he goes on for a few more seconds but at that point I was furious. I stopped listening and I wanted to talk some s#!+ back to him.. like do you enjoy making people's lives harder? Or do you get a bonus for being a prick?

Anyway I've refrained from going back because of this bad experience but was this just a case of a trainer wanting to show the new guy not to bend any rules? As far as I remember the first time he looked it up in the computer and he said they don't even have a test for the car. The trainer guy from this most recent time I don't even believe he looked anything up on the computer, it's almost like he didn't even listen when I said it was a diesel.

Anyone have any experiences and can chime in? I would appreciate some advice on what's the truth here. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Does Arizona required readiness? You should probably know this.
      09-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d 335d Sport

Garage List
Check MIL and Readiness Monitors Before SMOG

Before you head to a SMOG check, you should verify the status of your MIL/SES/CEL and readiness monitors (RM) or you may be wasting your time. If you have a MIL set or if sufficient RM aren't ready, you will immediately fail SMOG. In "Kalifornia," a gas car can have 1 RM not ready while a diesel can have 2. You can check MIL and RM status with a code scanner or, if you have an OBD/Bluetooth adapter, with one of the free apps for your cell phone (although I have Rheingold on a laptop, I keep an ELM327 in the center console and use the free InCarDoc app on my cell to check status, clear codes, etc).

It should be noted that whenever you reset a MIL, you also reset the RM monitors. This can be a significant event. The 335d requires a "drive cycle" (a "rub your belly, pat your head, hop around on one foot" drive specified in ISTA) to reset your RM. One 335d took around 400 miles of driving to set the RM to "ready" (using the ISTA "drive cycle") while another 335d did it more quickly through normal combined driving. Beats me.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 335d Drive Cycle.pdf (1.61 MB, 26 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #4
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

[QUOTE=silverseal99;29302113 In "Kalifornia," a gas car can have 1 RM not ready while a diesel can have 2. [/QUOTE]

I failed in Kali with one RM not set.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #5
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I passed a STAR SMOG in Kali at the SMOG across from the Chula Vista DMV with two RM not set in a 2011 335d. Go figure...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:31 PM   #6
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Does Arizona required readiness? You should probably know this.
Well I looked up the emissions history for my vehicle and they have given a director's certificate everytime. Except the last day that I went. And it also says "no emissons," meaning the first guy must have been right. They must not have a test for the vehicle. Thanks for the help guys
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:35 PM   #7
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Mine passed in Dec 2021.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/industry/obd-...ence#readiness
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearitself165 View Post
Well I looked up the emissions history for my vehicle and they have given a director's certificate everytime. Except the last day that I went. And it also says "no emissons," meaning the first guy must have been right. They must not have a test for the vehicle. Thanks for the help guys
Did you just go to a different place to have safety only inspection? We didn't hear your outcome. thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Arizona does not have emissions test for these vehicles. You simply go in and don't even let them touch your vehicle except to scan the vin. Tell them you get a free pass with a directors certificate, if they try and bullshit you around at all get a supervisor. They don't check the fuel cap, under the car, under the hood, don't plug anything in and they shouldn't even be having you turn it on. I live down in southern Arizona so I know this very well. The idiots at the smog testing places are third party contractors and they are lemmings so don't let them fool you at all.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2022, 10:35 PM   #10
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Before my delete I used Carly and forced my car into 2 regens back to back and did about 100 mile drive cycle and my SCR and all other monitors became ready and I passed.
      02-10-2023, 06:00 PM   #11
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Well I just went through the emissions to get my directors certificate, and I did get one. However the tech tried to explain to me that in the near future Arizona will be requiring my 335d to get an odb2 test. This is very confusing so I called azdeq and talked to a nice lady who explained it was the EPA that has no come up with some sort of possible testing procedures. She did state none of this applied to Tucson or pima county and it was still all up in the air and may not happen at all, it was all in process as the costs might not be worth doing because the number of cars is so low. The EPA never came up with an emissions test for smoke or opacity and the best they could do was possibly just an obd2 test to make sure the check engine light was off. They guy at the testing station told me if the check engine light is off I would pass, but I don't trust anything anyone says. Best bet is to call the EPA and verify potential new procedures because all this could be just a money making scam by the state and local government. So I'm not worried deleted actually has a better chance to pass than having malfunctioning emissions equipment throwing check engine lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:47 AM   #12
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asonchadwick View Post
Well I just went through the emissions to get my directors certificate, and I did get one. However the tech tried to explain to me that in the near future Arizona will be requiring my 335d to get an odb2 test. This is very confusing so I called azdeq and talked to a nice lady who explained it was the EPA that has no come up with some sort of possible testing procedures. She did state none of this applied to Tucson or pima county and it was still all up in the air and may not happen at all, it was all in process as the costs might not be worth doing because the number of cars is so low. The EPA never came up with an emissions test for smoke or opacity and the best they could do was possibly just an obd2 test to make sure the check engine light was off. They guy at the testing station told me if the check engine light is off I would pass, but I don't trust anything anyone says. Best bet is to call the EPA and verify potential new procedures because all this could be just a money making scam by the state and local government. So I'm not worried deleted actually has a better chance to pass than having malfunctioning emissions equipment throwing check engine lights.
This would be a readiness test.. All depends on if your tuner is setting monitor to 'ready' by default.
      02-13-2023, 08:47 PM   #13
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
This would be a readiness test.. All depends on if your tuner is setting monitor to 'ready' by default.
Yep and I believe so. I'll have to get torque pro out and check
Appreciate 0