E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Small but consistent squeak from engine bay in E90 330i

10-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: recklessly

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Not quite fully gone I'm afraid. It's about 50 degrees here and it still does it at start when it's cold but after it's started it's all good.

What's interesting to me is that the old tensioner didn't spin freely, was not gritty and seemed fine to me. Idler pulley maybe?
Most likely, at least it's just a pulley, so won't be quite as expensive at the pre-tensioner.
True although I'm confused. It goes away after it's warmed up whereas before the new tensioner, it never did that. Also, I'm dreading the idler pulley because I have to remove the airbox which means removing hose clamps and a sensor and I hate hose clamps.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
True although I'm confused. It goes away after it's warmed up whereas before the new tensioner, it never did that. Also, I'm dreading the idler pulley because I have to remove the airbox which means removing hose clamps and a sensor and I hate hose clamps.
If you have the Euro type airbox then it isn't really an issue, but not sure about the non-Euro airbox... You'll probably find that the pre tensioner was the noisier and consistent of the two, but the other will eventually get worse. It's either a case of ignore it or replace.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
If you have the Euro type airbox then it isn't really an issue, but not sure about the non-Euro airbox... You'll probably find that the pre tensioner was the noisier and consistent of the two, but the other will eventually get worse. It's either a case of ignore it or replace.
Now I'm pissed. Started my car after school today; sound is back to the way it was. $75 part that didn't need to be replaced. I thought I diagnosed it correctly. I am going to take the idler pulley off and see what it feels like.

Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two air boxes. Mine has two bolts at the driver's side quarter panel and then a hose clamp and a sensor that need to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #26
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now I'm pissed. Started my car after school today; sound is back to the way it was. $75 part that didn't need to be replaced. I thought I diagnosed it correctly. I am going to take the idler pulley off and see what it feels like.

Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two air boxes. Mine has two bolts at the driver's side quarter panel and then a hose clamp and a sensor that need to be removed.
I feel your pain! Replaced both DISA flaps last year trying to get to the bottom of my rattling sound (also suspected as pinging) problem...

This is the Euro airbox:

And then the non-Euro airbox:

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I feel your pain! Replaced both DISA flaps last year trying to get to the bottom of my rattling sound (also suspected as pinging) problem...

This is the Euro airbox:

The second picture isn't showing but it does look like the euro airbox. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

hope you figure it out, at least on a N54 if the belt snaps it seems the pieces can get sucked through the front main seal (?!?!?!) and into the engine destroying the seal and requiring the pan to come down to clean it out. Not trying to scare you just a reminder that ignoring stuff on these cars can be $$$$$$
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
WD 40 usually last for a few days and will dry out and noise will come back. You will need to replace it to avoid this noise coming back.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
hope you figure it out, at least on a N54 if the belt snaps it seems the pieces can get sucked through the front main seal (?!?!?!) and into the engine destroying the seal and requiring the pan to come down to clean it out. Not trying to scare you just a reminder that ignoring stuff on these cars can be $$$$$$
Yeah I have heard of this. Also have seen pictures. Somewhat glad I don't have an N54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
WD 40 usually last for a few days and will dry out and noise will come back. You will need to replace it to avoid this noise coming back.
Okay, I just went out and put WD40 DIRECTLY on the belt itself and it stopped squeaking for a few seconds. Now, since the idler pulley was nowhere near the WD40, I ruled it out as being the problem. I've just purchased a new serpentine belt and when I replace the current one, I will spin the idler to see if it's shot, just for the hell of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post

This is the Euro airbox:

Thanks for putting in the second image. It's definitely the Euro airbox.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #31
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I have heard of this. Also have seen pictures. Somewhat glad I don't have an N54.

Okay, I just went out and put WD40 DIRECTLY on the belt itself and it stopped squeaking for a few seconds. Now, since the idler pulley was nowhere near the WD40, I ruled it out as being the problem. I've just purchased a new serpentine belt and when I replace the current one, I will spin the idler to see if it's shot, just for the hell of it.

Thanks for putting in the second image. It's definitely the Euro airbox.
Then easy to remove, just the two bolts on the side, then open it up and remove the filter, loosen the intake boot and remove as well as the MAF plug, then to make life easy remove the intake from the cross member along with the airbox.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #32
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the info! Is it necessary to remove the filter or can I remove the airbox without removing the filter? It looks like I am able to access the MAF sensor and the hose with the hose clamp on it.

Also, I bought the belt and would like to swap it out tonight or tomorrow. Any tips for doing so?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #33
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Is it necessary to remove the filter or can I remove the airbox without removing the filter? It looks like I am able to access the MAF sensor and the hose with the hose clamp on it.

Also, I bought the belt and would like to swap it out tonight or tomorrow. Any tips for doing so?
I can't recall, probably can. I just remove it so that I can inspect and clean anyway. Just clips loose.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #34
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I can't recall, probably can. I just remove it so that I can inspect and clean anyway. Just clips loose.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #35
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Got the new belt installed. Didn't have to remove the airbox.

So far no squeaking. Will report back as I break it in. Idler pulley seemed to be alright.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #36
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So far no squeaking. Will report back as I break it in. Idler pulley seemed to be alright.
I am holding thumbs!!

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I am holding thumbs!!
Took the car out for a drive today. No squeaking.

On the bright side, I have a spare tensioner, although I'm thinking about giving it away here on E90post with the buyer only paying shipping.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

On the bright side, I have a spare tensioner, although I'm thinking about giving it away here on E90post with the buyer only paying shipping.
I am really happy to hear this!! Enjoy the proper sound of your car now!!

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I am really happy to hear this!! Enjoy the proper sound of your car now!!
Thank you
Appreciate 0