E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

07-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #353
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you can get left (LHD) driver control panel from e92
      07-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #354
dextuar
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Yes, the only problem is there is nowhere I can find the LHD for the passenger seat and I guess there is no way how I can modify the current module with memory so that it stays on the passenger seat

This is what I actually need.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #355
pennybond
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1984 528e

Retro Fit in 1984 528e

Hello,

I recently purchased a set of E90 Sport, power, lumbar, seat heating seats and wanted to install these in my '84 528e. Will I be able to get the seat heating working as my car obviously has no CANBUS or way to generate a PWM signal to the seat heating modules. I have found E90 seat heating switches on Ebay but it looks like the PWM signal is generated in the Juction box? (also do not have.)

Thanks!

(I have gotten all the other power features to work, however!)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #356
Bmachine
Rep
Drives: '73 BMW 3.0cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennybond View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a set of E90 Sport, power, lumbar, seat heating seats and wanted to install these in my '84 528e. Will I be able to get the seat heating working as my car obviously has no CANBUS or way to generate a PWM signal to the seat heating modules. I have found E90 seat heating switches on Ebay but it looks like the PWM signal is generated in the Juction box? (also do not have.)

Thanks!

(I have gotten all the other power features to work, however!)
How did you get all the other power features to work without the BUS?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #357
Luizbaum
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

hello friends, I read the whole topic so that I could definitely understand, and even then I'm still kind of lost, there are many variations. well i have a 325i 2011 partially electric and no memory seats and i bought the all-electric sport seats from a 130i 2010, so I understood that the memory function is necessary that the k-can is connected correctly on pins 2 and 3, I am sure ? and the lumbar adjustments I have to go through the gallows from pin 4 to 7 and from 8 to 13 right?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #358
Luizbaum
Brazil
Rep

Hello friends, today I went to disassemble the connector of my car, to see which pins are missing, well, I turned off the battery so that there were no airbag errors, I removed the yellow plug I took a photo, and I connected again, when I turned on the car, it appeared error airbag, what could I have done wrong? the error that appears is 0093AE. and whenever I clear the fault, it returns. sorry for my english,
I'm trying to be as clean as I can
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #359
Luizbaum
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Great thread. Seriously, I read it twice to make sure I understood most of it.
I am yet to read all the attachments in the first post.
So far I am planning to install sports memory seats with heating.
I have few questions;
1- What is seat side and car side? In Uk, we use driver side (O/S) and passenger side (N/S). So what are these seat and car sides?
2- What if you do not have heating? I guess I've to read heating seat retrofit to find out where to direct the +ve and -ve wires in fuse box and how?
3- I will be connecting K-Can of driver side seat. And on passenger side, I need to connect PWD (first blue / white wire) of passenger side to junction box?
4- What connector is this?

And I hope somebody will answer these before I start experimenting this.

(P.S: I am moving from ordinary SE seats to Sports heated electrical seats with memory.)

apparently this white cable is from the airbag in my car, a 325i lci 2011. now things have become difficult for me, since already bought seats of another car, a 2009 and they do not have this connector.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #360
Luizbaum
Brazil
Rep

my connector with the white two-way plug

here the connectors of the seats I bought

I still do not know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #361
Movhan
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D LCI

Hello everyone. Thanks for this fantastic thread, it is very useful.
I switched from completely manual seats to full electric with seat heating and memory. I followed this thread all the way and in the end everything worked. After a few minutes the passenger seat stopped working and i thing it is because of pin 1 and 5. are they necessary? where should i connect them? Isn't there any other easy way to connect them than the junction box?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #362
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movhan View Post
Hello everyone. Thanks for this fantastic thread, it is very useful.
I switched from completely manual seats to full electric with seat heating and memory. I followed this thread all the way and in the end everything worked. After a few minutes the passenger seat stopped working and i thing it is because of pin 1 and 5. are they necessary? where should i connect them? Isn't there any other easy way to connect them than the junction box?
When you say they stopped working, what was you doing at the time?
I ask because I had exactly the same on mine. I originally had just heated seats and I decided to jumper the power lead to power both the seat heating and motors from the single input.
Then my wife decided that she likes the heated seat so tried out the new motorised seat at the same time and it failed with her almost fully forward (she wasn't impressed as we were about 20 miles from home at the time!!). But it only had the 15a fuse instead of the 30a it would have had if it had come from the factory. I replaced it with a 30a fuse (wire grade is the same, well in mine it is!) and it works perfectly.
So to sum up, the seat heater and motor control cannot be operated at the same time if it is only powered through a 15a fuse, it needs to be a 30a circuit.
Just a thought.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #363
gregolas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

EDIT: I had to add the PWM wire for the passenger seat. ALL is working now!

Alright, I am stumped. I have read through all of the thread 7-8 times at least and I still can't get my passenger seat to fire.

I installed a set of heated, memory M3 seats in my 2011 M Sport (has power seat/bolsters, memory, no heat). I added the PWM wire for the passenger seat into the #1 slot to 38 on x14270, and bridged the power accordingly so everything is wired per the guide here. Driver seat works fine and heats quickly, but I get a code A6E1 on the JBBF for the passenger seat heating.

I have added the $494 to the VO in the CAS, FRM, IHK, and JBBF.

I cannot find the SHFA_PWM code in the JBBF TRC file from NCS, and have pulled other modules trying to search for it (with no luck).

The ONLY thing I can think of at this point is the passenger seat module is bad. I get the seat button on the passenger side to turn on, but the seat won't heat. If I turn it off by hitting the button it gets down to one light and then automatically turns the light off without continuing to press the button.

It will also light one light (low setting) if I try to activate it again, instead of all three (high setting).

If anyone has any ideas on this or if there is another place to code please let me know. I have been going at this all week with incremental progress.

Last edited by gregolas; 10-15-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 02:30 AM   #364
Movhan
Registered
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
When you say they stopped working, what was you doing at the time?
I ask because I had exactly the same on mine. I originally had just heated seats and I decided to jumper the power lead to power both the seat heating and motors from the single input.
Then my wife decided that she likes the heated seat so tried out the new motorised seat at the same time and it failed with her almost fully forward (she wasn't impressed as we were about 20 miles from home at the time!!). But it only had the 15a fuse instead of the 30a it would have had if it had come from the factory. I replaced it with a 30a fuse (wire grade is the same, well in mine it is!) and it works perfectly.
So to sum up, the seat heater and motor control cannot be operated at the same time if it is only powered through a 15a fuse, it needs to be a 30a circuit.
Just a thought.

Hi. I found out that the ground wire was cut and didn't have any connection. I replaced it and i worked fine but still no lumber or heating. Next thing i'll do is connect pin 1 to pin 38 in junction box x14270 and pin 5 to fuse box F10 with 5A fuse.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #365
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Bumping this for some info on a project I'm about to tackle.

My car has factory heated seats already.

I have a pair of race seats to which I wish to install the OEM seat heating mats from a pair of donor non-sport powered/heated E90 seats.
I plan to remove these mats and put them under the upholstery of the race seats.

Does anyone know what connectors or parts I need to remove from the OEM seats to make the heating function like OEM through the center console buttons? Other than the heated seat mat and it's wiring, of course.

What do I need to remove from the yellow connector under the seat?
Do I need to remove the module too?
Can I strip it down to just the heated components (ie. remove that wiring/plug from the rest of the module)?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #366
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Bumping this for some info on a project I'm about to tackle.

My car has factory heated seats already.

I have a pair of race seats to which I wish to install the OEM seat heating mats from a pair of donor non-sport powered/heated E90 seats.
I plan to remove these mats and put them under the upholstery of the race seats.

Does anyone know what connectors or parts I need to remove from the OEM seats to make the heating function like OEM through the center console buttons? Other than the heated seat mat and it's wiring, of course.

What do I need to remove from the yellow connector under the seat?
Do I need to remove the module too?
Can I strip it down to just the heated components (ie. remove that wiring/plug from the rest of the module)?
you can check my thread
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1512516
      11-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #367
Munzy
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Thank you so much for this diagram! Page 3)

I have been trying to get my head around powering my lumber supports for a long time and much research - this made it very clear, job done and delighted

Thank you from the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasammy View Post
Here are the new plans

One Remark: My seat-heating-modules were powered by Pin9 ... thats a bit strange, because its nowhere in the WDS. Just FYI

First one is drivers side
Second one passenger side

Thx AoshichanX for your FAQ, but I think thats a little bit too risky for me (or isnt it??). I will let it do someone whos expert in coding. You are not planning to travel to Germany within the next few days ?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #368
Movhan
Registered
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
If you didn't disconnect the battery before unplugging the seats, you'll get those errors.
Just needs to be cleared out.
I got the same issue but can't never clear the errors... Even BMW can't delete them... where is the problem?? please
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #369
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

Hi folks

I'm trying to fit some Msport powered seats to my 320i SE, and it appears that to get them to work I need to connect them to the K_CAN bus.

So my questions are, what colours are the K_CAN wires on a late 2010 320i? and...

Where is a handy place to tap into them (I don't have I drive or anything else fancy, it's an SE).

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #370
mashurst
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luizbaum View Post
apparently this white cable is from the airbag in my car, a 325i lci 2011. now things have become difficult for me, since already bought seats of another car, a 2009 and they do not have this connector.
I'm pretty sure that this connector is for the Active Head Restraint in your head rest. (It fires the head rest forward in the event of a rear end crash to protect you from whip lash). You can either take the head rests off of your existing seats and swap them into the new seats (with the wires as well of course), or if the seats don't match because of the new colour or material, then swap just the internals of the old head rests in tot the new head rest covers. More tricky, but can be done. There's a video on YouTube showing how.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #371
mashurst
Private
Rep

Turns out that the K_CAN cables are still Green and Green/Orange, and the most convenient place for me t access them looks to be the air con panel.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #372
iFlip92
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Si

Unhappy

Hello,
I have a problem with my installation and I hope someone can help me here!

First of all I have a E88 135i N54 with heated manual sport seats. Turns out that they put the whole wiring loom in the car even though I only had heated seats so that's great .

I did lots of research and I installed the M3 seats today smoothly and I thought it was a breeze just using the two diagrams (attached). I printed them off and checked off Car side and Seat side wires. Pulled KCAN from iDrive controller and swapped PIN 4 into PIN 9 for lumbar and side bolsters as per this thread. So far so good. Put my battery terminal back on and seats work without a problem for more than 5 mins. The problem is I put the ignition in and I get airbag light and "Restraint System Faulty" error. I do not understand why?
I re-inspected the wiring diagrams and discovered this:
on my Car side - Driver -
PIN 18 Yellow +
PIN 19 Brown -
do not match the M3 seats wiring which is:
PIN 18 Brown
PIN 19 Yellow
for some reason!

on Passenger side it's reversed too:
Car side - Passenger -
PIN 18 Blue +
PIN 19 Brown -
M3 seat plug:
PIN 18 Brown
PIN 19 Blue

So 4 things I'd like to know.
1. I'm surprised my airbags haven't popped if the polarity is reversed? Why have they not?
2. If I reverse the wires to match the colors, but possibly the polarity is correct right now, will I pop my airbags or is this safe to try?
3. Where are the airbag/SRS codes stored as they don't seem to be in the DME? Can iCarly reset the airbag codes? (I haven't bought one yet). I have INPA but never used it so I'd appreciate it if someone can guide me on how to clear this code in INPA. I have MHD Tune N54 but that can only clear DME codes.
4. If 1&2 are not the cause, how can I test the Seat Occupancy Sensor as that's the only other likely cause of this I think?

Please help!
Attached Images

Last edited by iFlip92; 04-17-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #373
iFlip92
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Si

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 03:41 AM   #374
Jonny323i
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 318d se

Retro fit sports seats

Iv read through as much of this thread as I can before getting confused.
My car originally had comfort fabric heated seats.
I have now fitted sports leather heated seats.
The only issue Iv got is the side bolsters don’t work.
If I understand correctly I need to supply power to pin 7 and ground to pin 13.
Are these low amps and can be taken from an existing circuit?

My car is an e91 318d 2012 and the seats came from a 2011 e90
Mine has full screen sat nav and I drive
Appreciate 0