E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Pure Stage 2 on pump 91

07-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #111
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
It amazes me how you pick and choose points that support what you believe, yet ignore what has actually been posted proving otherwise. I posted about the different hpfp values for different loads as an example of why my 11-12 isn't the ragged edge of the pump. If I run 10psi, I'll still be at 11-12 because of the JB4 and BEF. Obviously if I tried to do 25psi I would run out of fuel and I would go below 9.

You really should look at my afr in all of my logs as none of them are lean. I think they are actually pretty rich for N55s. The only time my hpfp is at 9 or lower is cruising, like everyone else. Also, I never mentioned anything about JB4 only afr and trims, so again just shit posting.

If traction control "shuts down cylinders" as a normal thing, why would the car throw a bunch of codes and go into limp mode? If it's normal it should know it's doing that and not throw codes. I have had one push dtc on and had it miss/cut at 6000rpms. Turn it fully off and no more problems.

I'll post up a full 4th gear log when I can. Those above are what I can do daily and have plenty of. I am not trying to convince anyone a stage 2 lpfp will fix fueling issues. I just happen to have one and can run the above. My stock pump had 100k miles on it with a nasty filter, so upgrading probably did help me.
Thank the lord other people see this too. He just got done doing the same thing with me too. Also his comment about the JB4 having a log refresh rate of 1.5sec, wtf?!? This guy, I tell ya. Spouts constant crap all the damn time. I wonder if you can block a user...
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #112
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
Thank the lord other people see this too. He just got done doing the same thing with me too. Also his comment about the JB4 having a log refresh rate of 1.5sec, wtf?!? This guy, I tell ya. Spouts constant crap all the damn time. I wonder if you can block a user...
You're right, looks like the TIMESTAMP column in JB4 logs is reported in Hundredths of a second or something? Decimal place is off by one maybe? Not sure, but I like how you're more concerned with this than the fact that JB4 CANT LOG MISFIRES lol... that was the main takeaway.

And yes, there are some N55 JB4 logs (probably has to do with DME rom version) that only gives users 3-4 data points across an entire pull. I can dig up logs if you want on N54 tech.

There is a difference between "spouting crap" and you just not being able to grasp things. If you and other didn't make things personal I wouldn't be so compelled to take the time to disprove every erroneous statement you make.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-20-2017 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #113
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
You're right, looks like the TIMESTAMP column in JB4 logs is reported in Hundredths of a second or something? Decimal place is off by one maybe? Not sure, but I like how you're more concerned with this than the fact that JB4 CANT LOG MISFIRES lol... that was the main takeaway.

And yes, there are some N55 JB4 logs (probably has to do with DME rom version) that only gives users 3-4 data points across an entire pull. I can dig up logs if you want on N54 tech.

There is a difference between "spouting crap" and you just not being able to grasp things. If you and other didn't make things personal I wouldn't be so compelled to take the time to disprove every erroneous statement you make.
You are the one always saying things wrong and trying to redirect from your wrong statements. What does the engine do when it sees misfires? It pulls timing. Does the JB4 report timing? Yes. So indirectly it does show misfires. I am not a huge JB4 fanboy though and agree it is just a hack, but it works fairly well. I am probably going to run a stacked setup when my PS2 goes in because both flash and JB4 have their positives.
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #114
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
You are the one always saying things wrong and trying to redirect from your wrong statements. What does the engine do when it sees misfires? It pulls timing. Does the JB4 report timing? Yes. So indirectly it does show misfires. I am not a huge JB4 fanboy though and agree it is just a hack, but it works fairly well. I am probably going to run a stacked setup when my PS2 goes in because both flash and JB4 have their positives.
Hate to have to even type these words because you're going to get defensive, but you're wrong.

I posted up a log of my car missing on an older tune revision. Timing does not get pulled when a misfire happens. My timing is dead on target despite misfires on 2 different cylinders. The log actually looks perfect other than the misses.

YOU MIGHT be able to see misfires in your logs if you see dips in RPMS ? Reviewing my own logs DOES NOT always show a dip in rpms though so I would say you can't go by that. Logging resolution may not be fast enough to see the slight dips in rpms every time it happens. If I hadn't started logging misfires I would've assumed everything was running just fine when it really wasn't. We have since tuned the misfires out!

I think we can all agree at this point that allowing rail pressure to dip as low as people do on JB4 cars can induce misfires. It is very plausible they just don't feel them. These misfires, that have been logged with MHD, is why flash tuners like to keep rail pressure up above the point where the car completely breaks up (recommended to keep it over 2000psi). There is no magic to the JB4 that allows people to run without issue at lower rail pressures than flash cars.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-21-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #115
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Hey guys, just a little update. I have been running the Pure Stage 2 for 8 months now, and went through all the steps of tuning it to doing an s55 flywheel to get the power out of it on a heart breaker dyno. 515 whp and 525 ft/lbs. This is by far the best turbo you can buy at this time for the N55. Hopefully Pure has something up their sleeve as it would be nice to see a stage 3 option in the future. I have a video I'll be posting soon. Car really rips and even on pump it's a much better option than anything else out there.
Appreciate 4
Turbod395.50
houtan705.50
ANMVQ113.50
      08-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #116
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Hate to have to even type these words because you're going to get defensive, but you're wrong.

I posted up a log of my car missing on an older tune revision. Timing does not get pulled when a misfire happens. My timing is dead on target despite misfires on 2 different cylinders. The log actually looks perfect other than the misses.

YOU MIGHT be able to see misfires in your logs if you see dips in RPMS ? Reviewing my own logs DOES NOT always show a dip in rpms though so I would say you can't go by that. Logging resolution may not be fast enough to see the slight dips in rpms every time it happens. If I hadn't started logging misfires I would've assumed everything was running just fine when it really wasn't. We have since tuned the misfires out!

I think we can all agree at this point that allowing rail pressure to dip as low as people do on JB4 cars can induce misfires. It is very plausible they just don't feel them. These misfires, that have been logged with MHD, is why flash tuners like to keep rail pressure up above the point where the car completely breaks up (recommended to keep it over 2000psi). There is no magic to the JB4 that allows people to run without issue at lower rail pressures than flash cars.
I am sure you saw this already. But in case you or others haven't, MHD himself says the misfire logging is not accurate and he is going to remove it from the app. He clarifies that throwing a code is what you should look for, or obviously, when you hear or feel them.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=4003
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #117
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Hey guys, just a little update. I have been running the Pure Stage 2 for 8 months now, and went through all the steps of tuning it to doing an s55 flywheel to get the power out of it on a heart breaker dyno. 515 whp and 525 ft/lbs. This is by far the best turbo you can buy at this time for the N55. Hopefully Pure has something up their sleeve as it would be nice to see a stage 3 option in the future. I have a video I'll be posting soon. Car really rips and even on pump it's a much better option than anything else out there.
where is that video Ken!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #118
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post

Nice to hear man, since I'm getting close to getting STG2 :/.
      08-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #119
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
I am sure you saw this already. But in case you or others haven't, MHD himself says the misfire logging is not accurate and he is going to remove it from the app. He clarifies that throwing a code is what you should look for, or obviously, when you hear or feel them.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=4003
You think people are going to "feel" a few misfires the DME doesn't throw a code for? NOPE. You're dealing with people who don't even understand why flash tuning is necessary and don't even know that a BEF is a flash tune.

Everyone in this thread missed the point. You don't want to run your rail pressure low. It's bad. Fuel atomization is poor. Misfires occur. The only people getting confused by this are people claiming JB4 can do something flash tuning cant. No, a JB4 doesn't allow a car to run at lower rail pressure without issue. That was the debate.

The misfire logging is a bit weird. It shows a misfire for several seconds after it happens. It also shows a misfire count for that whole duration of time (1/2/3+). People have been asking in the MHD thread on why it show "cyl x" misfiring across an entire pull. It's not. It misfired once (or whatever the count says). That is the confusion MHD is talking about. Maybe the DME reports misfires this way because it is looking to see if x number of misfires occur within y time before it throws a code? who knows... but there is nothing confusing about it to me. Unfortunately, MHD looks like they might take the path of showing users LESS information (a detriment to "power users") in an effort to simplify things for the masses.

Still waiting on all those logs of PS2s up top in 4th...

Last edited by bbnks2; 08-24-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #120
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
where is that video Ken!
I'm waiting also. The guy who is doing the video is working on it, so hopefully soon. I did get a new toy I'll be sharing some video on here shorty. I'll hit you up offline with some information.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #121
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Stock BMW 335xi

Sorry this is a little later, but I had a question! I'm wanting to eventually go FBO, but right now all I have is CP. My turbo is whistling a little, so I'm not sure if it's going to be going out soon. I'm thinking about upgrading to Pure Stage 2 instead of going with stock. At the moment I'm looking for reliability, but later it'll be for performance. Would it hurt anything with stock +cp?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #122
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsavage View Post
Sorry this is a little later, but I had a question! I'm wanting to eventually go FBO, but right now all I have is CP. My turbo is whistling a little, so I'm not sure if it's going to be going out soon. I'm thinking about upgrading to Pure Stage 2 instead of going with stock. At the moment I'm looking for reliability, but later it'll be for performance. Would it hurt anything with stock +cp?
The whistle you're hearing is most likely a minor boost leak. I don't understand your question though. You want to buy a PS2 and switch back to the stock chargepipe? No, it doesn't hurt anything but it will eventually fail. If you upgrade the turbo you need to at minimum upgrade the intercooler.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #123
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Yes you can run a PS2 with stock tune. But I doubt your turbo is going out.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #124
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Turbo

Quote:
Yes you can run a PS2 with stock tune. But I doubt your turbo is going out.
Oh that's good news. Why's it squeaking then? I know it's not the belt because it kicks in early and stays spinning (it's not rotating faster as if it were the engine belt w/ growing rpms). It only does it every now and then. I actually haven't heard it for a couple days, but it has been a couple days without the sound then a day with the sound twice now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #125
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
The whistle you're hearing is most likely a minor boost leak. I don't understand your question though. You want to buy a PS2 and switch back to the stock chargepipe? No, it doesn't hurt anything but it will eventually fail. If you upgrade the turbo you need to at minimum upgrade the intercooler.
You don't think I need a new chargepipe if it's leaking than, do you? And no, I just meant with the ETS I have on it now, is that enough to upgrade to a PS2 since I thought my turbo might need to be replaced anyway. But I could do an IC first.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #126
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Oh that's good news. Why's it squeaking then? I know it's not the belt because it kicks in early and stays spinning (it's not rotating faster as if it were the engine belt w/ growing rpms). It only does it every now and then. I actually haven't heard it for a couple days, but it has been a couple days without the sound then a day with the sound twice now.
When does it squeak? I'm guessing you have a bad PCV valve in the valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #127
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
You don't think I need a new chargepipe if it's leaking than, do you? And no, I just meant with the ETS I have on it now, is that enough to upgrade to a PS2 since I thought my turbo might need to be replaced anyway. But I could do an IC first.
If you have a leak at your chargepipe the common places in order are the oring where it connects to the throttle body, the seal around the TMAP sensor, or any methanol bungs.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #128
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Turbo

Quote:
When does it squeak? I'm guessing you have a bad PCV valve in the valve cover.
It's normally when I first start it. After running it for a while it settles down until a few days later. It honestly sounds like a bad engine belt, but I know it's not just because it makes the sound when the turbo spools.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #129
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
If you have a leak at your chargepipe the common places in order are the oring where it connects to the throttle body, the seal around the TMAP sensor, or any methanol bungs.
I'll check these out! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #130
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep

Turbo

Quote:
I have a list of mods, and the PS2 is after FBO, suspension, spoiler and LSD. I just figured if it was the turbo, I should just upgrade while replacing. I just wanted to clarify.
Appreciate 0