E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > WTF did I do wrong? E93 M3 rear sway in non-M E91

08-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

WTF did I do wrong? E93 M3 rear sway in non-M E91

Please someone put me out of my misery... I've just installed an e93 M3 rear sway/ARB on my e91 330d. Besides that possibly not being a great idea, how could I mess it up?

The problem is that with the suspension at full droop, the bar touches the front underside of the upper arm.

I've got the bar orientated so that the tips point upwards... There's surely no other way it would go in. I've got the brackets on the subframe orientated to that the short tab is at the top/rear. I've got the rubber mounts orientated so that the split is vaguely horizontal, not that it should make any difference to the clearance. I fitted new drop links, which are the same part number for M3 and non-m, according to realoem... All this agrees with the info I can find on newtis.

What gives??

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 11-11-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
335togo
Daily Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 Sold, 11 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Please someone put me out of my misery... I've just installed an e93 M3 rear sway/ARB on my e91 330d. Besides that possibly not being a great idea, how could I mess it up?

The problem is that with the suspension at full droop, the bar touches the front underside of the upper arm.

I've got the bar orientated so that the tips point upwards... There's surely no other way it would go in. I've got the brackets on the subframe orientated to that the short tab is at the top/rear. I've got the rubber mounts orientated so that the split is vaguely horizontal, not that it should make any difference to the clearance. I fitted new drop links, which are the same part number for M3 and non-m, according to realoem... All this agrees with the info I can find on newtis.

What gives??
Go to a shop..its OK we just want the best outcome for you. Let someone else stress on mods
      03-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

So, I sorted this out today. It's not pretty, but it'll work just fine. I tried putting the brackets on the other way around (opposite to how newtis says they should be), but that moved the centre section of the bar too close to the subframe.

At that point I was just a bit fed up, so I grabbed a drill and drilled the bracket holes out to 12mm (bolts are 8mm). That allowed enough slack to move the bar back away from the subframe a bit, and clear the other suspension arms too.

So, a bodge fix, but it'll function 100%. Shorter links may also have done the trick, but £$...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Totally forgot I made this thread.

The answer, just in case it helps someone, is that you also need the M3 "wishbones"; they have more clearance than the non-M ones. No need to do anything with the sway bar brackets.
Appreciate 4