E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dipstick vs Electronic Oil Level

12-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

Dipstick vs Electronic Oil Level

Hey, so I have 325d n57 which comes with a dipstick as well as the usual electronic display however I am not sure which one is the accurate reading? I had my oil changed recently and the garage hadn't topped it up to the full amount due to confusion on the correct level...

The dipstick showed less than minimum - it was barely even touching the bottom of the dipstick.

the electronic display showed above the minimum - maybe around a quarter.

Since then I have gradually added oil. I started with around 500ml and went for a drive, the electronic display then changed to show maybe 2/3 full. The dipstick still barely even touched the minimum line.

I have since added another 300-500ml of oil, the electronic display now shows the level sitting right on the max, however the dipstick still shows maybe a quarter above the minimum if that.

Why are they both so off from each other? Which one is accurate? I haven't had any low oil or oil pressure lights or anything which leads me to believe the electronic display is right? As surely if the oil was as low as the dipstick suggested before I added any myself then the car had way too little oil and would have flagged it with a light on the dash?

In the past I did top my oil up and over did it which led to both the electronic oil level display saying "too full" and the dipstick backed this up with the oil being a bit above the maximum line.

Anyone else who has one of the N57 engines, are your dipstick and edipstick both reading similarly or do you also have this strange discrepancy?

Also all dipstick readings were done on level ground, I have also tried with the engine at various temps, cold, hot straight from a drive and half an hour or so of cooldown. The reading have been the same regardless.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

The dipstick, dipstick...

It literally dips into the oil in the sump and shows how much is in there. You must check before starting the car with a dipstick as oil is pulled from the sump straight away..

Now could you have a replacement dipstick that's to short or to long, maybe. I`d still 100% trust it over the electronics
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
The dipstick, dipstick...

It literally dips into the oil in the sump and shows how much is in there. You must check before starting the car with a dipstick as oil is pulled from the sump straight away..

Now could you have a replacement dipstick that's to short or to long, maybe. I`d still 100% trust it over the electronics
Yeah I figured as much as like you say it literally dips into the oil! But I wondered if the odd curvature of tube effected its accuracy or something...

This is the same dipstick I have always had with the car, maybe it is a replacement and is too short but I don't know. Just can't understand why it seems to be so wildly off from the electronic display now.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
Daviebrown
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330D

Just pretend you don’t have electronic display.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Maybes you're not using the e dipstick correctly?

Have attached a link to a very good post which explains what the e dipstick does & how to use it correctly.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...Tz9YXEEoihCTbp
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0