E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Losing my freakin mind,this car is killing me. Now Crank shaft pulley?

05-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #67
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Dude, you realize you can sell your car... right?

We get it, you aren't happy with your 335d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin80k View Post
welcome in the club of failure after failure car. this happened to me few months ago. i am lucky it didn't happen during the drive as yours because i drive fast on country side roads and this would be surely crash, but it happened just after the start up. burnt rubber, and no steering. not a cheap repair. then slightly before that my flywheel went to...another not cheap repair among many...so wait for that one too....the low rev lag is not a lag, but lost vacuum that you have in your system, and if your diagnostic didn't show what it is as mine didn't. you have to look manually part by part (actuators, pipes, egr) mine last one was a hole in an aluminium charger pipe from another hose that was from a constant friction with it....so good luck in stressful driving, because bmw didn't give a shit about putting quality parts lasting after their 5 year warranty.....i am glad there are many engine failures also within that warranty so they have to replace it, so bmw is losing money, coz they pieces of shit deserve it...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #68
tek4tex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D Space Metallic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post

Sounds like he'd be better off in Raptor truck
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #69
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek4tex View Post
Not sure, but 99% of his post are hating on the 335d. If I wanted to hear bitching about this car I'd talk to my wife and not frequent this enthusiast site.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #70
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek4tex View Post
Not sure, but 99% of his post are hating on the 335d. If I wanted to hear bitching about this car I'd talk to my wife and not frequent this enthusiast site.
Shared this post with my wife, thank's for the laugh!
Her response "so I guess I'm not the only wife that bitches about that car"... Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #71
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
Shared this post with my wife, thank's for the laugh!
Her response "so I guess I'm not the only wife that bitches about that car"... Lol
3/3 so far feel the same way, she's not alone lol.
      05-02-2016, 02:24 AM   #72
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
more pics... I do find it HIGHLY suspicious that where the stock one says BMW...the febi is ground down....and that's the only place.... interesting...
Couple of things to note. First, is your factory damper looks like it is a first generation without the vent holes. Also, it looks like the factory damper has way less rubber in the flex part. Would be interesting to compare from what year they had started to use updated ones and if older ones fail more. Mine is a 06/2011 build and had a newer damper on it with vent holes and heat shield, as well as beefier flex part.

Second, and as peculiar to you, is your "Febi" damper has the exact same markings as mine and your factory damper, sans the bmw part number that is ground off. Here is a bit longish but interesting foray into the issue. From some other forum, can't remember where from:

Wanted to share my recent experience in ordering parts. If the substitution issue is a well-known fact, my apologies. I went to replace all the radiator hoses, along with the radiator, water pump, expansion tank- due to age, not mileage.

I ordered parts from both Pelican and AutohausAZ. I ordered the hoses from Pelican because they said Conti OEM at the website. When they arrived, the packaging said Rein. I was not happy about this, but they look like good quality, and per the below, I'm guessing they are Conti hoses.

The kicker in this is that I ordered the poorly (IMO) designed 'Radiator to Expansion Tank' hose (BMW #11531436122O), which is flexible plastic tubing, with rubber connection points at each end. This part applies to the 2.5, 2.8, as well as my 3.0 liter engines. When I examined the plastic tubing still in the package, it appeared damaged. I asked to return it and complained about the Rein substitution for the Conti brand. I have to say that Pelican has been outstanding in all of this, and they looked into the substitution. Part of Pelican's response is below, and I found it quite interesting.

Note that the writer says: 'To complicate things, removing the logo off their product can also lead to a part that may appear damaged or in many cases, is damaged'. And the latter is my situation. It appears that someone has taken a razor knife, and while scraping off the logo on the flexible thin tubing, has damaged it at all the locations that the labeling occurs. An already weak design, is reduced even further, by reducing the tubing wall thickness by approx. 50 percent.

Also, perhaps noted by others previously, many of the other hose parts I received seemed to have labeling obscured by less damaging means- indelible marker. This situation appears to fit the description provided below as well.
Anyway, just wanted to make sure that the forum was aware of the situation. Pelican has stated that all of their stock is damaged, and said I should procure from BMW for that specific hose. I want to again state that Pelican has been great, and I will continue to do business with them.

Ironically, and foolishly on my part thinking I was getting a BMW brand hose, yesterday my wife brings home the same part # hose from a local vendor, and unfortunately, it's in a Rein package. Yes, same problem, so back it goes. The BMW part is twice the price, but obviously worth it in this situation. For what it's worth, Dean

EDIT: 1. The Rein number is CHR0025P 2. I called a second BMW dealer and the price was a far more reasonable 50% adder from online, which I was happy to pay.

I spoke to our vendor and to explain things in depth, here is the problem :
Like all European Manufactures that export, Contitech is under the European Trade Agreement that was put in place to boost the economy in Europe after the introduction of the Eurodollar . This agreement basically states that a percentage of their products must be manufactured in certain third world countries to boost their economy . The problem is, the cost to move facilities and/or build new tooling to manufacture elsewhere was devastating to their profitability (As you can imagine). So devastating that it put many of them out of business . A prime example was the loss of one of the worlds largest producer of bearings, *** AG .
That being said, most companies found it necessary to circumvent the rules or suffer great hardship . So, in a nut-shell, many of them they will build their product in facility A, ship it facility B, repackage it and/or remove the manufacture's logo, and export it . The third-world country gets its share of customs duties, employment increase and everyone's happy, right ?
Wrong, that's where you and I come in . Although Rein Automotive imports products from all over the world (i.e. China, Taiwan, South Africa, etc ***8230 many believe that Rein Automotive was acquired by CRP industries simply to be used as a mule for their products out of Europe . We may never know if this is true but, what we do know is we are usually left with is Contitech product that is repackaged in a Rein box, in a plain, un-labeled box, no box at all, or, we get a Rein labeled part from Contitech….. You get the idea . It may not always be the case but, it is increasing in occurrence and is hit-and-miss to keep us all guessing . At first, the manufactures tried to keep this practice a secret but, now they pretty much do whatever they want . It is well known that many OEM suppliers are under contract with Bmw and they purposely remove the logos to protect their identities when selling to us but, this is a different subject altogether . Due to the volume of product, its not possible to check every single part that arrives for markings but, we do spot check as much as possible to alleviate errors and in most cases, they do not offer them as brand A or brand B – its whatever they send .

To complicate things, removing the logo off their product can also lead to a part that may appear damaged or in many cases, is damaged . Unfortunately, this is a very common practice and may be what you are seeing on the expansion tank hose . If you can send a photo of the hose, I'd be happy to take a look at it . Keep in mind, the parts on our shelf may be exactly the same as you received .
He also mentioned that the parts they receive from CRP USA is the same product that all USA distributors receive as they are the only importer of Contitech in North America . This would include Autohaus AZ . I'm not sure what type of parts you ordered from Autohaus but, Contitech seems to be a problem with all the vendors I've spoken to regarding this issue . Many of them catalog Contitech products as simply "CRP" . We may have to do the same if we are unable to resolve the issue any other way .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #73
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Very insightful...

Seems like a system ripe for abuse, with potential counterfeit parts. Since the markings are removed, we have no way to know if their legit parts, rejects that showed up again as "good", etc. not a good situation with already questionable quality parts. Also makes it hard to make sure your getting the newest revision, from the best manufacture.

But at least we're not suffering from timing chain failures ��

Besides the BMW dealer, any way to get verified legit parts of known quality?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #74
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

5 Min ago got my pulley, DHL works well and very fast.

I bought it from ebay.uk, received emails in German and the package was sent from Italy

I am shocked by size and weight of it, as it looked not that heavy.

Also pay attention to the vent holes they have some ribs in there, is it that improvement made with the latest part?

As Yozh has mentioned as i am driving 2009 probably i have thinner dumper so the thicker is better and i will try to take a look on mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #75
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md View Post
5 Min ago got my pulley, DHL works well and very fast.

I bought it from ebay.uk, received emails in German and the package was sent from Italy

I am shocked by size and weight of it, as it looked not that heavy.

Also pay attention to the vent holes they have some ribs in there, is it that improvement made with the latest part?

As Yozh has mentioned as i am driving 2009 probably i have thinner dumper so the thicker is better and i will try to take a look on mine.
Based on what Im seeing there is almost no way to tell the difference between the part that you got and the part that I got... Now the question is...is the Febi from ECS the same as mine....I couldnt tell unless I bought the darn thing from them...

Question for you though....on the side of the wheel that says Corteco...basically 180 degrees from that label, is there a little section that appears the rubber has been ground down a touch? if you look at my pics...there is a small section they clearly removed some molding..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #76
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Seems to be that the harmonic balancer/dampener replacement should be part of normal tensioner pulley/serpentine belt maintenance. Perhaps at 120,000 miles the pulley should be inspected and/or replaced on the newest vented/shielded units. Its not unusual for BMW to be a tech pioneer when it comes to their cars, often resulting in somewhat less reliability. This goes for their electronics too.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #77
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis
Seems to be that the harmonic balancer/dampener replacement should be part of normal tensioner pulley/serpentine belt maintenance. Perhaps at 120,000 miles the pulley should be inspected and/or replaced on the newest vented/shielded units. Its not unusual for BMW to be a tech pioneer when it comes to their cars, often resulting in somewhat less reliability. This goes for their electronics too.
im not sure you are going to see a whole lot in an inspection, id bet it looks normal until it fails. my mechanic didnt mention a thing about it when he had it opened up a week earlier. Granted he wasnt looking for that issue. I would say replacement would be good preventative maintenance. however, the chances of it lasting that long seem to be kinda slim... then again maybe we aren't hearing from guys with ones that haven't failed..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #78
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Based on what Im seeing there is almost no way to tell the difference between the part that you got and the part that I got... Now the question is...is the Febi from ECS the same as mine....I couldnt tell unless I bought the darn thing from them...

Question for you though....on the side of the wheel that says Corteco...basically 180 degrees from that label, is there a little section that appears the rubber has been ground down a touch? if you look at my pics...there is a small section they clearly removed some molding..
ok, there is an interesting story behind this. i ordered this part from a spanish producer, i dont recall the name, because i left the country and my brother was in touch with service BMW dealer who said that part is not original and needed some additional "transformation" making the whole labour twice as expensive....i didn't dig deeper into that, but in slovakia, they lie and cheat, so i better save my nerves that are already challenged a lot living in this shitty east european country whole my life anyway, where people lie and steal and smile at you like nothing happened
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #79
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post

listen. i live in shitty slovakia. i bought this car when owner lied to me about it. and i bought it extremely expensive too...having done good business deal i didnt care about money at that time. now i am bancrupt and business went south. plus we are in slovakia. there is almost no market for such a car....everybody either import a car from germany or other country that's in much better condition and i am not going to sell it for a half a price after 3 years of ownership that i would if i am lucky.....
AND GUESS WHAT !!!! TODAY, I DEVELOPED ANOTHER LOW REV LOST OF POWER AND I DON[T HAVE INPA AND THE CABLE ANYMORE.....i was driving and then suddenly the revs went too high to change the gear and no power low down....piece of shit german engineering

WATCHING THIS ACTUALLY FEELS GOOD BECAUSE OF IT..
[u2b]https://youtu.be/X_G1sDkHVDU[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #80
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
im not sure you are going to see a whole lot in an inspection, id bet it looks normal until it fails. my mechanic didnt mention a thing about it when he had it opened up a week earlier. Granted he wasnt looking for that issue. I would say replacement would be good preventative maintenance. however, the chances of it lasting that long seem to be kinda slim... then again maybe we aren't hearing from guys with ones that haven't failed..
The 60,000 km (37,500 miles) inspection is on the engine side face. Sucks that it would need to be removed to do this. I have 47,100 miles so maybe I will give it a look when I'm off on vacation. I would like to have replacement in hand in case things don't look so hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #81
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
The 60,000 km (37,500 miles) inspection is on the engine side face. Sucks that it would need to be removed to do this. I have 47,100 miles so maybe I will give it a look when I'm off on vacation. I would like to have replacement in hand in case things don't look so hot.
At 47k, I wouldnt put the work in to changing it unless I had a) the fluidampr in hand b) the fan out and the a/c belt off and you just HAPPEN to be in there...with nothing better to do with your time. (make sure you get that belt installer/remover.....I didnt...I paid for that arrogance dearly in pain, frustration, sweat and time)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #82
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
At 47k, I wouldnt put the work in to changing it unless I had a) the fluidampr in hand b) the fan out and the a/c belt off and you just HAPPEN to be in there...with nothing better to do with your time. (make sure you get that belt installer/remover.....I didnt...I paid for that arrogance dearly in pain, frustration, sweat and time)
Sorry, if I came across as replacing now. I meant to just look at it. But you're right in not digging into it on its own. The info that yozh dug up said to inspect at 37,500 miles and that deterioration happens on the back side first.

I realize that I'm in the minority but have read things that an ATI brand super damper is superior to a fluid damper. I'm not kicking that other thread in anyway. I researched and found that VAC Motorsports (yes, the guys that install Quaife LSD into our BMWs) also sell super dampers made by ATI. They don't have them for M57 engines but do have them for gassers. See links.
http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...rts/damBMW.htm
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/har...2-us-p756.aspx

Wow, they want some serious money for them though. Starting at $800
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #83
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Sorry, if I came across as replacing now. I meant to just look at it. But you're right in not digging into it on its own. The info that yozh dug up said to inspect at 37,500 miles and that deterioration happens on the back side first.

I realize that I'm in the minority but have read things that an ATI brand super damper is superior to a fluid damper. I'm not kicking that other thread in anyway. I researched and found that VAC Motorsports (yes, the guys that install Quaife LSD into our BMWs) also sell super dampers made by ATI. They don't have them for M57 engines but do have them for gassers. See links.
http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...rts/damBMW.htm
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/har...2-us-p756.aspx

Wow, they want some serious money for them though. Starting at $800
That's a common price for ati with BMW tax. At our rpm I don't see a fancier balancer being needed, especially is there's a $400-600 difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #84
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

BB_Cuda....yeah I got ya, I'm saying that I'm not sure you will be able to tell anything with an inspection, especially from the back side if yours doesn't have holes in it....mine doesn't, and you can't tell anything. but even if it did, my assumption is that to the eye it's either good or bad. I can't imagine what "needs replaced" would look like. Seems like a card house...any sign of failure is total failure, but I could be wrong

Last edited by OmahaDZL; 05-02-2016 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #85
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

Quote:
Here it is.

I am not sure what it is, it also might be a balancing grinding?
But this thing is to heavy to balance this way.
So it should be BMW part numbers shaved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #86
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md View Post
Here it is.

I am not sure what it is, it also might be a balancing grinding?
But this thing is to heavy to balance this way.
So it should be BMW part numbers shaved.
The shaving is in the EXACT same place as mine is...Id put money its getting rid of the bmw logo and part number... Sounds like we are all getting hosed....corteco Febi...bmw....All the same damn plant. heck, maybe even Viaco...but i dont have any proof on that one....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #87
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
The shaving is in the EXACT same place as mine is...Id put money its getting rid of the bmw logo and part number... Sounds like we are all getting hosed....corteco Febi...bmw....All the same damn plant. heck, maybe even Viaco...but i dont have any proof on that one....
If they leave "BMW" and BMW part number, they will have to charge double the price
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #88
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
If they leave "BMW" and BMW part number, they will have to charge double the price
I know thats a joke....but in this case, truth is stranger than fiction... per Yozh's post.....
Appreciate 0