E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - retrofit paddle shifters

06-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #221
hb arab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb arab View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead in hopes of someone being able to provide me some help and guidance…

Background:
I purchased a 2007 (late '06 build) E90 335. The car came from the factory with the sport steering wheel and paddle shifters (option S2XAA). Over the span of the car's existence, one of the car's owners swapped on an M-Performance steering wheel without the LED screen and with paddles, so no additional wiring changes were required. This owner then ended up selling the M-Perf steering wheel and swapped back to a 6MT steering wheel with no paddles, which is how i purchased the car.

Fast forward to today:
I've purchased a used complete sport steering wheel with SSG paddles and MF buttons - I've also made some modifications to the paddles and installed the Nelson Racing Wheel paddles with the re-wire (left pull downshift/right pull up shift). But no matter what i do, i cannot seem to get the paddles to work. MF buttons all work with no issues, paddles have no function. The car goes into DS and i can manually shift up/down from the shifter with no issues.

I don't think it's a coding issue - i don't see why the original owner would bother to remove the coding after swapping on the 6MT steering wheel.

PLEASE HELP! I'm losing my mind. The MF button connector has all 6 wires, that's how i purchased it. Would removing the existing connector wires and replacing them like ZapHood mentioned solve my issue? Is it potentially a bad clockspring connector? Is it possible resistors in the MF buttons like mentioned?

I really appreciate the help!
Bump - anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:10 AM   #222
Zawislak
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI N55 xDrive

Hi,
I have this steering wheel in my e92 335i lci:

I want to retrofit the steering wheel for the one with paddle shifters:

I just want to make sure if I just need to change the wiring? So I can use the old airbag?
Can i also change it for m sport lci steering wheel and also use the old airbag?

Last edited by Zawislak; 06-23-2022 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #223
codeterrorist
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zawislak View Post

I just want to make sure if I just need to change the wiring? So I can use the old airbag?
Can i also change it for m sport lci steering wheel and also use the old airbag?
The airbag is not involved in the retrofit in any way. Since you have a sport steering wheel, the airbag will fit other sport steering wheels including the ///M ones (M3 and M Sport).

The wiring change on the paddle plugs is for how the paddles work. Go back to the start of the thread and reread it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #224
Zypperneck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio View Post
Just did a paddle retrofit today using multifunction buttons from a DCT 335i.
Turns out these multifunction buttons are different to the usual - they include resistor dividers internally to convert the upshift/downshift signals from the paddles to the paddle-shifter voltage input the DCT expects.

I was initially very perplexed when I put everything together, triple-checked my wiring, and the paddles didn't work.

Ended up taking the multifunction buttons apart and modifying them to the standard type. Before/after photos below. I just needed to remove a few resistors and add some bridges. I suppose this is also useful for any madmen retrofitting a DCT into their 335i with SSG paddles.
Cherrio, did you do this instead rewiring steering wheel? I have 2011 335i E93. I just bought a complete wheel with SSG shifters. I bought a blue plug wiring harness from ebay $50 USD, I would prefer to do a soldering job than a cut and splice wiring. Thanks (P.S. I'm a nube, hope I'm posting this correctly)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 04:57 AM   #225
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypperneck View Post
Cherrio, did you do this instead rewiring steering wheel? I have 2011 335i E93. I just bought a complete wheel with SSG shifters. I bought a blue plug wiring harness from ebay $50 USD, I would prefer to do a soldering job than a cut and splice wiring. Thanks (P.S. I'm a nube, hope I'm posting this correctly)
I'm not sure what you mean by "blue plug wiring harness", is this an external harness that connects the paddles to the clock spring?

Is your car DCT or auto? If it's auto and the steering wheel with paddles is from an auto car, it should just work. If it's DCT and the steering wheel is from a DCT car, it should also just work.

The issue arises when you're trying to mix and match, because the DCT and auto use different signals for the paddles. In that case, you'd have to open up the button modules and either add or remove some resistors.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 02:48 PM   #226
Zypperneck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "blue plug wiring harness", is this an external harness that connects the paddles to the clock spring?

Is your car DCT or auto? If it's auto and the steering wheel with paddles is from an auto car, it should just work. If it's DCT and the steering wheel is from a DCT car, it should also just work.

The issue arises when you're trying to mix and match, because the DCT and auto use different signals for the paddles. In that case, you'd have to open up the button modules and either add or remove some resistors.
The "blue plug harness " for connecting the #2 and #4 behind the clock spring to the console.

The wheel came from a 2009 335xi automatic and mine is the 2011 335i steptronic auto.

I did plug the wheel in without any mods at first, because my #2 and #4 have wires in them, just to see if it would work but it didn't. Are you saying it should work without doing any mods? or should i should I follow the mod from this thread?

It is currently plugged in without any modifications and all the MF buttons work but the paddles don't. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0