E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

09-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #155
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

So, with all of you guys that have bought and installed...

What's your verdict on the speed of access out of a USB stick? Or the SD Card slot?

I'm still sitting here on a stock 6FL, and (I've read that it's pretty common) it's slow accessing files when I start the car. It's a PNY Turbo 64GB USB 3.0 drive

Even with this USB drive, it can take up to 30 seconds for the USB to load up at times. On my computer, I can copy/paste whole albums, to and from this drive in seconds, so I'm pretty sure the access times on the drive isn't the limiting factor.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #156
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just added this to the first page:

UPDATES
Go to dynavins website for the latest firmware updates, go to the product page for the unit that you have (N6-E9X in this case) and scroll to the bottom to see the DynOS firmware link, http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_e9x.php

Its easy to update and the instructions are in the download link but to reiterate, download the files from dynavins website, extract them and put the 3 files on an SD card. Put the SD card in the MMC slot in the dynavin, go to the "info" setting on the second home page and press the blue "update now" button. Then just wait for the unit to run the update, it will restart when its done.

If you are using the same SD card that you keep your music on, delete the update files from the SD card when you are done.

US UNITS AND 12 HOUR CLOCK
DynOS 1.0.1 or later required....see above.

The dynavin by default will display all the OBC screens in metric and the clock in 24 hour format. To change to SAE units and a 12 hour clock we need to access the hidden factory settings menu.

Select bluetooth as your source (press the right side knob), input *123456# using the onscreen keypad and press the call (off hook) button. A hidden factory settings menu will pop up, select AREA: USA and leave everything else alone.

Press the back button and note that all the units are now SAE and the clock is 12 hour.

Keep in mind that there are some other regional settings such as the radio region setting (European or US frequencies) and of course all the navigation related regional settings....these settings are in the specific radio or nav settings menus.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #157
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Does that update include the bug fix too?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #158
jeffb335
Rep

Yes, bug fixes, a couple big ones and a few little ones, lots of small little functionality upgrades, and all the US spec stuff.

Many of you guys who have been in contact with me already have some earlier version of this but this is the "official" version. Software of course is an ongoing development process so there will of course be future updates as well but for now this official release should take care of many of the larger issues and changes dynavin has been working on.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #159
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Yes, bug fixes, a couple big ones and a few little ones, lots of small little functionality upgrades, and all the US spec stuff.

Many of you guys who have been in contact with me already have some earlier version of this but this is the "official" version. Software of course is an ongoing development process so there will of course be future updates as well but for now this official release should take care of many of the larger issues and changes dynavin has been working on.
awesome, going to update today!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #160
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post

What's your verdict on the speed of access out of a USB stick? Or the SD Card slot?

I'm still sitting here on a stock 6FL, and (I've read that it's pretty common) it's slow accessing files when I start the car. It's a PNY Turbo 64GB USB 3.0 drive

Even with this USB drive, it can take up to 30 seconds for the USB to load up at times. On my computer, I can copy/paste whole albums, to and from this drive in seconds, so I'm pretty sure the access times on the drive isn't the limiting factor.
Another question to add to what I asked above;
So, since I already have the 6FL and there's a stock location for the USB and Aux. I realize the wiring is proprietary, so I was thinking that it's simply easier to get a flush mount USB / Aux extension port.

Anyone know what the part# would be to cover up the rectangular hole left behind by removing the stock USB / Aux port?
I tried Real OEM, and the best guess I have is;
Part#6422838514 listed as a "Blind Plate"
But Real OEM doesn't exactly show where that Blind Plate goes...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #161
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:

I dont have a high capacity USB but I am using a 64GB SD card but I would expect similar results either way....

I took a stopwatch to the car, in my setup the unit takes 26 seconds for a cold boot, and then 14 seconds after that to load and play my full 64GB SD card (im sure your results may vary depending on a bunch of variables).

Once the unit is already turned on and you switch sources and go back to SD there is no load time, it goes right to music.

Keep in mind this clock starts ticking when you press the unlock button on your key fob or open the door, not when the car starts, so real world load times are obviously much much shorter, or depending on your routine, may be non-existent. I have not yet seen anyone on any forum (or my email) complain about load times so I I would assume everyone is finding it entirely satisfactory.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #162
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Thanks Jeff!

On a somewhat related note;
I realize this might be somewhat out of the realm of discussion, but it's kind of important to me...

Any ideas why there's some arbitrary hard cap of 64GB USB and SD cards useable?
Apparently (based on other's posts here), a 160GB iPod can be used and read from.

When testing my 2011 328i's USB connector, I threw in a 128GB SSD (Monster Digital Overdrive 128GB SSD) and surprisingly, the stock 6FL unit powered and read the drive.

I'm only surmising here (since noone I know has tested this as well) but since a 128GB SSD is basically one giant USB stick, it probably won't work in the Dynavin either, though it's left me wondering why that 64GB limit when iPods don't seem to have that limitation?

Edit:
When I mean it's arbitrary, I mean, for example:
In technical terms:
SDHC format (Secure Digital High Capacity) has a governing limit of 32GB.
If the device supports SDHC, then it has a maximum limit of 32GB and it can't read the higher capacity formats, though it can and will read any of the older formats. (SDSC and MMC)

SDXC format (Secure Digital eXtended Capacity) has a theoretical governing limit of 2TB. Version 3 and Version 4 of this standard are separated by access speeds (50 MByte/s to 104 MByte/s for 4-bit UHS-I bus vs 156 MByte/s to 312 MByte/s over the 4-lane UHS-II bus respectively)

So, when a device supports 64GB, it should, theoretically be able to read larger sizes such as 128GB, 256GB, up to 2TB.

Last edited by Wongway; 09-05-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #163
jeffb335
Rep

well.....ipods are a completely different thing so they should not be compared at all....they are a stand alone device and manage their own files, the head unit in this scenario is just a remote control with an audio connection.

USB and SD are JUST storage, the device they are plugged into manages playback and browsing.

Im NOT a computer guy but I have discovered that getting into large storage drives gets tricky....even dealing with the 64GB SDXC cards with windows can be tricky as you can only format them exFAT.....you have to use sketchy dedicated utilities downloaded from the internet to trick windows into formatting them to the more common FAT32 or NTFS. While the dynavin WILL read an exFAT formatted card I discovered that my wife's Audi MMI would not.....so I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it happen.

Basically I think its important that we keep in mind that we are getting a bit spoiled by massive cheap storage (cheap TB drives everywhere) and the internet tends to make everyone think that everything is some kind of grand conspiracy....basically I think that most people take technology for granted and dont realize the MASSIVE technical hurdles that are involved with even the simplest things. For instance.... 64GB is a still a HUGE amount of data to manage. As I said earlier Im not a computer expert BUT its clear to me based on simply using them that there are substantial challenges to dealing with mass quantities of data, the windows OS itself has limits to files sizes and limits to what can be done with different storage media.

So basically Im saying data size limits are not arbitrary, there are always technical restraints. Im sure a programmer or IT engineer could explain what/why those restraints exist, I cant do that, but I recognize they are there and that there are reasons for them, even if its something I cant completely understand.

Last edited by jeffb335; 09-05-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #164
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Another question to add to what I asked above;
So, since I already have the 6FL and there's a stock location for the USB and Aux. I realize the wiring is proprietary, so I was thinking that it's simply easier to get a flush mount USB / Aux extension port.

Anyone know what the part# would be to cover up the rectangular hole left behind by removing the stock USB / Aux port?
I tried Real OEM, and the best guess I have is;
Part#6422838514 listed as a "Blind Plate"
But Real OEM doesn't exactly show where that Blind Plate goes...
As per my post #153:

I used the USB Flush Mount Extension Kit available thru Jeff site:

http://www.jandtdistributing.com/col...plug-extension
  • More than enough length to run from N6 thru console to rear of right hand tray where I mounted it, right beside the OEM 6FL outlets (now not used, but left in place).
  • Entire Ipod + cable when plugged In fits nicely under the console lid when closed with no interference.
  • I have been running my Ipod with this line since the beginning, & it charges just fine...

The other N6 USB line I ran to the glove compartment to attach USB stick if need be with a short extension I had laying around.

Pics:

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #165
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
well.....ipods are a completely different thing so they should not be compared at all....they are a stand alone device and manage their own files, the head unit in this scenario is just a remote control with an audio connection.

USB and SD are JUST storage, the device they are plugged into manages playback and browsing.

Im NOT a computer guy but I have discovered that getting into large storage drives gets tricky....even dealing with the 64GB SDXC cards with windows can be tricky as you can only format them exFAT.....you have to use sketchy dedicated utilities downloaded from the internet to trick windows into formatting them to the more common FAT32 or NTFS. While the dynavin WILL read an exFAT formatted card I discovered that my wife's Audi MMI would not.....so I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it happen.

Basically I think its important that we keep in mind that we are getting a bit spoiled by massive cheap storage (cheap TB drives everywhere) and the internet tends to make everyone think that everything is some kind of grand conspiracy....basically I think that most people take technology for granted and dont realize the MASSIVE technical hurdles that are involved with even the simplest things. For instance.... 64GB is a still a HUGE amount of data to manage. As I said earlier Im not a computer expert BUT its clear to me based on simply using them that there are substantial challenges to dealing with mass quantities of data, the windows OS itself has limits to files sizes and limits to what can be done with different storage media.

So basically Im saying data size limits are not arbitrary, there are always technical restraints.
Which is why I decided to 'play it safe' and went with max 32GB SD. I already have a 64GB Ipod with loads more room on it for music over the 300+ albums I have installed at Hi Res
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #166
Deebag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320 Alpina D3

Has anyone installed the DAB module yet?

I have a few issues with it.
The antenna you are supposed to mount in the window looks hideous, it ruins the look of the car. Is it possible to use another antenna?

Aaand, when I first installed it I couldnt get any sound at all. So I updated the firmware on the HU.
Now I get sound, but the bad news is I only get a black screen saying I cant use it while driving, I cant do anything at all. Even with the engine off.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #167
jeffb335
Rep

Change the setting in the system settings menu called brake....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #168
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Which is why I decided to 'play it safe' and went with max 32GB SD. I already have a 64GB Ipod with loads more room on it for music over the 300+ albums I have installed at Hi Res
hey quik about some photos of the head unit?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #169
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
hey quik about some photos of the head unit?
I'll post them up tomorrow - I'm at shrimpfest right now stuffing myself - 10 plates so far
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #170
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I'm a bit more computer inclined, so maybe that's why my perspective is different...
http://www.verbatim.com/index/search...rds=fat32+tool
That link is a simple example of one of many easily obtainable tools to format a large volume into fat32.

I realize larger volumes tend to be preformatted to something like exfat, but it's an easy fix. Does make me wonder if tests on the Dynavin with larger than 64gb were done with media formatted to fat32 now though...

Yes, we're spoiled with large cheap storage, but it does allow us to have mp3s at 320kbps, and that chews up 64gb quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #171
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
As per my post #153:

I used the USB Flush Mount Extension Kit available thru Jeff site:

[LIST][*]More than enough length to run from N6 thru console to rear of right hand tray where I mounted it, right beside the OEM 6FL outlets (now not used, but left in place).

Pics:

Jeff - could you look into an OEM FAKRA to standard USB wiring harness so that the OEM connection could be retained? Perhaps working with Technic he could design something.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #172
jeffb335
Rep

It was mentioned earlier in this thread...or maybe it was in the other thread...

I haven't tried it but it looked simple enough....the guy just got another oem USB plug and plugged it into the dash end of the USB fakra cable....and into his aftertermarket headunit's USB input...you can go back and find it but I think he just used one of these http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Usb/ES2194689/
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #173
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Jeff,

Just placed an order. I ordered the MOST unit as well since I have L7. Where do you recommend the MOST unit be placed/installed?
      09-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #174
BronzeWarrior
Rep
Drives: 328I Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I have to hand it to you jeffb335, this new product looks amazing and from what I've read in the forums, I WANT IT! although I have a few questions. 1. With the GPS, do I need to "purchase it" on top of buying the unit and if so, does it come with free lifetime updates or not? Also, if there is a chance I do not like to pre-installed GPS, would I be able to run another program? 2. I'd like to verify that the heated seat re locator in the new ashtray also keeps the cigarette lighter? 3. Is the re locator available in black?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #175
Wongway
Captain
Rep

You do get the GPS as part of the purchase. I believe it's only one update, and (I might be wrong, but I think it's in this thread somewhere...) I believe you get one update. (Not lifetime). I know the relocator comes in black or your choice of trim, though I don't know about the cigarette lighter part.

This is conjecture by myself, since some Garmin units in the past are subject to this;
There are places where people have pirate copies of map updates. I know there's pirate iGo versions out there as well (what's included), so I can only surmise that if someone were persistent enough, they may find pirate updates for the unit down the line. I know for sure, however, jeffb335 won't be the one to help you in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #176
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
It was mentioned earlier in this thread...or maybe it was in the other thread...

I haven't tried it but it looked simple enough....the guy just got another oem USB plug and plugged it into the dash end of the USB fakra cable....and into his aftertermarket headunit's USB input...you can go back and find it but I think he just used one of these http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Usb/ES2194689/

That's a great idea, if it works! Would the aux in also still work???
Appreciate 0