E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > An additional key fob which appears unusable

10-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
PixelSyndicate
Head Geek In Charge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Question An additional key fob which appears unusable

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2008 335xi from a wholesaler (aka AS IS). Two keys were supplied with the purchase. The spare key didn't work in the car (gave a key icon with a diagonal bar through it on the dash).

I took it into a BMW service center to discuss getting a new key, or fixing up the one I have (incidentally, the spare key has been cut with a different groove-set than my working key).

So the BMW tech's attempted to pair the key to my car using the 'hold unlock while 3x pressing the lock button' method, but that didn't work.

So they put both of my keys on their reader. My working key fob showed registered to my VIN, and the other key fob was shown to be a 'spare' with no registrations to any vehicle yet (aside from the slide-out door key).

They were puzzled why the pairing wouldn't work. They thought perhaps there may be an issue where the spare is for a vehicle with the comfort package (which mine doesn't have), but they didn't see any indication either way when they scanned it.

I've been in touch with the wholesaler, but they don't seem very confident they have another key for the car. They asked I mail it to them, but I am now likely going to have to spend the $200 to get a new one from bmw, so I want to get some value back from this spare that wont work for my car, yet is open to pairing with SOMEONES bimmer.

So, I am asking you all for your advise as to how to make the best of this situation. Would the key be sell-able? What would be the value of a pristine fob (no wear or scratches), aside from the cut door key?

Any masterful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
If you can't code it into your car, what makes you think it will work for another car?

It would be trial and error.

You can tell if the fob is for comfort access by seeing if there is a door to change the battery. Non-CA fobs cannot have their batteries changed (without cutting open the fob).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
PixelSyndicate
Head Geek In Charge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Thank you for your advice in this *********. appreciate it.
Appreciate 0