E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V K Motorwerks, preliminary oil cooler test!

05-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

V K Motorwerks, preliminary oil cooler test!

I have been testing the oil cooler I got lucky that yesterday’s temps here were about 80 degrees.

I had a 335i without an oil cooler, one with the BMW sports package oil cooler, and my car with the V K Motorwerks oil cooler. We hit the highway one car at a time. First was my car. During normal cruise the car’s oil needle just sat at about 210-220F. I have a ton of mods on my car as you can see by my sig and my normal driving (not spirited) temps were always 250 before I got the oil cooler installed. I hit the highway and drove hard keeping the car in third gear most of the time for about 10 miles. The cars oil temps reached at the highest point only 240F! Then I drove the car with no oil cooler the same way within about 6 miles the car went into limp mode and oil temps were at 300 degrees!!! We stopped pushing that car at that time. Then we jumped into the car with the oil cooler from BMW. We did a run and the temps got to a peak of 260F and were climbing.

Now for the interesting part the temps after 5 min of normal driving after the hard run in my car the oil temps were back down to the 215 mark. The car with limp mode was at 270. The car with the oil cooler from BMW was at 240ish.

I will be testing the car further at a race track against the cars. I want to book a track so that we can do about 5 hot laps each and see what happens.

The full specs should be released soon. Stay tuned.

sorry about the pics they were taken from my cell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh almost forgot, We tested the rotors on both sides with IR temp guns and there is no variances in temps between the two sides.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Thanks for testing out man!

Anything to help lower oil temps will help tremendously!
      05-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No Problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

oh wow I need this. how much did you say it was going to be?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Azrielsc
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Oh Chitown335i, how muchie man??? Any DIY coming up? This definitely looks very interesting indeed!

Cheers,
Sam
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It should be fairly inexpensive if your doing a upgrade from your existing oil cooler. If not then its going to cost you a bit more should still be under a 1K but that is because you need:
1) new oil filter housing
2) a Thermostat+housing
3) a new wheel well and louver
We used all OEM stuff so the price goes up because of that. Not sure of the exact price points hope to have that for you very soon. The pics below show my engine bay before and after you can see the oil filter housing had to be changed. I had no sports package so they have to do everything.

The best part is even though the new oil cooler is nearly twice as large, the housing they made mounts right to the OEM mounts! So if you ever want to (dont know why you would) return it to stock you can.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
vbmw335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

This looks great! I would be very interested in this upgrade. Especially when you are running cars with a tune and planning on tracking - oil cooling is one of the top priorities for engine longevity.

1k seems resonable compared to >3k ( install included for Dinan cooler)

Please post more details and specfications.

Do also know if they will have a group buy? If yes i am in.
BMW X5 4.8 is
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

This looks like a very attractive upgrade, even when you have the stock oilcooler already. Any idea when this product will be available ?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
This looks like a very attractive upgrade, even when you have the stock oilcooler already. Any idea when this product will be available ?
within about a month, they want to ensure that everything is tested. they said they will do a group buy thread and offer all the details shortly. stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i View Post
within about a month, they want to ensure that everything is tested. they said they will do a group buy thread and offer all the details shortly. stay tuned.
Thanks, great .
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

That's great. Please do the same test on track. Hopefully you'll have a OEM cooler car there again.

Can you also do the rotor temp test on track? I've certainly had my rotors glowing after a really hot lap, so I'm concerned about any loss of rotor cooling. But this first test is encouraging.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Crap - one thing I noticed that you may want to pass onto the fabricator:

The wheel well vent needs to direct the air to the outside of the car, just like OEM. The prototype design appears to exhaust straight into the wheel well.

There are two reasons for this. First, you don't want hot post-oil cooler air going to your brakes. Secondly, at high speeds, air that is flowing directly into the wheel well can cause lift. I have been in a car at 130mph where the lift was so bad that the front tires came off the ground.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post

The wheel well vent needs to direct the air to the outside of the car, just like OEM. The prototype design appears to exhaust straight into the wheel well.

There are two reasons for this. First, you don't want hot post-oil cooler air going to your brakes. Secondly, at high speeds, air that is flowing directly into the wheel well can cause lift. I have been in a car at 130mph where the lift was so bad that the front tires came off the ground.
Which car is that bad ? Today nearly every car, including grandma's , will make 130mph without lifting that bad ...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's great. Please do the same test on track. Hopefully you'll have a OEM cooler car there again.

Can you also do the rotor temp test on track? I've certainly had my rotors glowing after a really hot lap, so I'm concerned about any loss of rotor cooling. But this first test is encouraging.
I have the same two cars going with me again to the test track. I will definiatly do the rotor temp test for you. This was a concern for me too but after pushing the car too 100mph then slamming the brakes then going back to 100 and slamming the breaks (mind you after driving for about 20 min prior) the temps on both sides were the same. Purposely left room in the louver to allow for air flow to pass through and cool the rotors. However, I will be conducting this test and reporting back to you. This morning I drove to work which is all open highway for about 1 hour keeping the car at DS and driving the way I normally drive(punching it every chance I get!) to work the oil temps did not go past 230 infact, it seems that 220-230 is the optimal running temprature for our cars. The reason I say that is because any lower then 210 and the thermostat valve doesnt open.

I will report back as soon as i get to the track. I will also have better pictures then the ones taken by my phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

no disrespect but the car was being pushed to the limiter yesterday several times with no lift. However, this may ease your mind a bit. My car doesnt have the actual louver desighn that is being made for the kit. Actually they are looking at either useing the OEM louver (its a nice design) or making one thats simular just larger. Thats why were still in the testing phases. However, rest assured the end product will be a quailty one.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #17
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
Let us know when we can start ordering them. Can't wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

cant wait
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #19
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
no disrespect but the car was being pushed to the limiter yesterday several times with no lift. However, this may ease your mind a bit. My car doesnt have the actual louver desighn that is being made for the kit. Actually they are looking at either useing the OEM louver (its a nice design) or making one thats simular just larger. Thats why were still in the testing phases. However, rest assured the end product will be a quailty one.
Great - glad to hear that it's being considered. I don't expect the 335i to come flying off the ground, but I'm headed to a very fast track in a few months, where I'll be taking corners at 120-130mph.

I take it you went to the limiter in a straight line? That's completely different than cornering at triple digit speeds.

Any change in aerodynamics at that cornering speed, especially on one side of the vehicle, can have some pretty bad consequences.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great - glad to hear that it's being considered. I don't expect the 335i to come flying off the ground, but I'm headed to a very fast track in a few months, where I'll be taking corners at 120-130mph.

I take it you went to the limiter in a straight line? That's completely different than cornering at triple digit speeds.

Any change in aerodynamics at that cornering speed, especially on one side of the vehicle, can have some pretty bad consequences.
i hear you bro and yes i was going in a straight line. i havent heard of a track that has corners at 130mph unless its an oval track. in any case its already been considered and im sure you will be pleased with the outcome. so what supporting mods do you have that will allow your car to handle like that?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #21
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i hear you bro and yes i was going in a straight line. i havent heard of a track that has corners at 130mph unless its an oval track. in any case its already been considered and im sure you will be pleased with the outcome. so what supporting mods do you have that will allow your car to handle like that?
One post threadjack:

Miller Motorsports Park, full track is 4.5 miles long and has 23 turns. Apparently some of the more powerful cars can take the first few corners of the East portion at 150+. I am not that crazy.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/track_about.php

Other supporting mods include TC Kline double adjustables, TCKline camber plates, LSD, race rubber, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
One post threadjack:

Miller Motorsports Park, full track is 4.5 miles long and has 23 turns. Apparently some of the more powerful cars can take the first few corners of the East portion at 150+. I am not that crazy.

Other supporting mods include TC Kline double adjustables, TCKline camber plates, LSD, race rubber, etc.
Wow, sounds like a blast, Have fun, be safe. Im sure this oil cooler will def. help with heating issues.
Appreciate 0