E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 LCI Aftermarket Headlight (adaptive)

04-08-2021, 01:26 AM   #1
Mendelson
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 328i xDrive N51 L

E90 LCI Aftermarket Headlight (adaptive)

Hello fellow E90'ers
My cluster stung me with the headlight bulb. Let me start with bit of a situational background here before we get down to the nitty gritty of things.

I checked the codes to see that my stepper motor left and right have a disrupted connection. Level sensor front and rear are disrupted and headlight malfunction. Not sure what the level sensors are actually doing but I'd assume they are measuring the height of the car.
Either way, I know it's not an FRM issue because my turn signals on the headlights and on the side (fenders) and fog lights are still working fine.
I went behind the headlights to see that the previous owner had horribly rigged a xenon kit to it. Also, one mount at the top of each headlights is cracked. Behind the headlights, the caps are basically half taped and half rtv'd. Horrible. Disgusting. Whoever did this job had clearly never worked on a car a day in their lives.
Upon closer examination, I've noticed that the low beam connectors to the xenon kit are fried to the point that the connectors were practically fused together which I had to pry apart. Makes sense that my FRM counter shorted the headlights alone.
At this point I'm considering an aftermarket headlight set of LED's. Before you kick me for even considering LED's, no rewiring, no kits or coding just seems like the way to go. Besides, it's an E90. Screw the oncoming traffic. Majority of cars these days come with factory headlights that are just as bright if not brighter than LED's.
Is there a way to rig the adaptive components to aftermarket headlights, the stepper motor or level sensors? Will I have to code them out?

What are my best options here?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0