E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dash dismantling experience?

04-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
Silber_
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport

Dash dismantling experience?

New poster but long time lurker!

Does anyone have any experience of dismantling the dash or trim? I bought a 2007 330i a week or so ago and it has a rattle behind the dash that is consistent with something rolling around left to right when driving/turning.

It sounds a bit like a 10mm socket or similar, from the drivers seat it sounds very much like it is coming from the glovebox or passenger side somewhere and it is really ****ing annoying! It makes like a rolling noise and then hits the end and then rolls back and hits the other end when turning left/right, braking or accelerating has no effect.

The only thing I've had off is the lower trim panel under the glovebox because I was convinced it was there but couldn't feel or see anything, I guess the next step is the glovebox out? Is there any easy access to the centre console? was thinking of getting a torch in from there to see if I can see anything.

I've checked and double checked and there's nothing loose elsewhere in the car, it's definitely in the dash I think and it is something loose rolling around.

Cheers for any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
ValSolo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 640d GC

You can try https://tis.bmwcats.com/ (you will have to use google translate).
Glovebox removal in particular is here https://tis.bmwcats.com/doc1103697/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Before dismantling the dash area have a look under the passenger seat from the rear. You will potentially see an air vent slot there. I had a similar noise that annoyed the hell out of me for a month and it eventually turned out to be a pen rolling back and forth in there. I fished it out with a fold of double sided sticky tape on a ruler. Note: picture is from internet for reference only.

Silence was bliss afterwards. Noises travel from the most obscure sources.
Attached Images

Last edited by jwilalex; 04-14-2021 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 01:46 AM   #4
Silber_
Rep

Thanks both, that vent looks primed to catch something. It does sound quite substantial though, like a socket or something heavy ish. I'll definitely check there though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Silber_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilalex View Post
Before dismantling the dash area have a look under the passenger seat from the rear. You will potentially see an air vent slot there. I had a similar noise that annoyed the hell out of me for a month and it eventually turned out to be a pen rolling back and forth in there. I fished it out with a fold of double sided sticky tape on a ruler. Note: picture is from internet for reference only.

Silence was bliss afterwards. Noises travel from the most obscure sources.
Mate you absolute legend!

Just got home from work, slid the passenger seat forward and shone the torch down the vent and could see something round and silver, went and grabbed the telescopic magnet from the van and fished this out!

Pure silence now. Absolutely chuffed to bits, such a minor thing can drive you crazy!

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

LOL. Check for bags of weed and white powder in the cubby holes etc too if I were you! 😁😛
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #7
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Saved a few hours taking dash apart and creating new noises
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
Silber_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post
LOL. Check for bags of weed and white powder in the cubby holes etc too if I were you! 😁😛
Appreciate 0