E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2010 320i has no DRLs option in menu

04-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
seanmcc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i (2010)

2010 320i has no DRLs option in menu

Hi all,

I just recently bought my very own 320i at age 16. So far, I love the car.

It is a 2010 320i with iDrive (Japanese import, now in NZ).

I would like to get the halo lights to work as DRLs. After some searching on the internet, I found that most E90 models have a checkbox in both the iDrive computer and BC, however, mine does not.

The halos turn on when I flip the light switch from automatic to side lights.

Some forum posts suggested changing codes and other people just hardwired their halos to a wire which gets powered when the ignition is switched on.

I am quite reluctant to go and splice wires on my new car, hence, I would prefer to take the coding approach. There are some forum posts with links to YouTube videos on how to change the code, but these links have since expired. I do quite a bit of computer programming myself so I shouldn’t have too much trouble with the computer-side of things.

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to enable halo lights with the ignition through a code change?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Cheers,
Sean
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

You will need a cable to connect from the car to a computer.

People usually recommend this one.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

But I bought mine from Amazon and works the same.

You then need to download and install BMW Tools, you can find them on the same site.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

After you install the software and connect to the car you may need to tinker with the COM ports through device manager so the software can talk to the car's modules, I said may because I didn't have to change anything mine worked out the box.

After you connect the car to the computer insert the key and push start without actually starting the car, launch INPA and make sure it says you're connected and that it shows ignition ON.

After you see it's communicating close INPA and Launch NCS-Expert then follow these steps.

Now the next part isn't gonna make sense unless you're familiar with the software so go through all the steps and watche the video, after you know how it works you need to change these values...

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...24&postcount=3

That's what I did with my 2010 328i, I know there are probably easier ways of doing it but I have seen so many posts were people try different things until they make it work. The above steps worked for me and it took me about an hour to get the hang of it and I'm damn near illiterate.

After enabling the halos as DRL I also enabled digital speedo, close windows and sunroof with the fob (this wasn't an option on my car) and set the dash lights to always on.
Appreciate 0