E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Installation notes/review Aliexpress easyguard pke/comfort access kit

11-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
starfox5194
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Installation notes/review Aliexpress easyguard pke/comfort access kit

UPDATE 3:

It's been about 9 months since I installed this kit.
Overall, I am still happy with it, but there are a few quirks.

1 - sometimes when trying to get to ACC/ON position by pressing the start/stop button twice, the car gets confused and I need to lock/unlock the car and try again.
2 - When the battery in the fob dies, the car does not start, but the doors will lock/unlock. If you are having issues with the car starting(intermittently), your fob's battery is probably dying.
3 - To unlock the doors after the auto-lock, you need to press the lock button first, then the unlock button.

In summary, it has some small issues, but to me the tradeoffs are worth it.

UPDATE 2:

The issues have been resolved. My settings must have been reset when I unplugged power to the module under the seat during the easyguard installation - or maybe when I started messing with the fuse box....
Anyways, after re-coding the flashes and door locking using carly, there was not change, the features did not work. Later on, I discovered that the features much be enabled in the OBC using the turn signal stalk when the car is in accessory mode. Mymatevince has a good youtube video on how to re-enable the triple blink feature.
My mirrors also had their position reset, but again, that was most likely due to unplugging the module.

After testing reliability for a few days, I have not once had an issue with the PKE functionality - I have tried sneaking up on the car from weird angle, running towards the car, etc. It unlocks at what feels like the perfect distance away every time!

So far, still very happy with the product!

I will try to take a video of it in action and with some more install details later this week. It's getting cold outside...

UPDATE 1:

Two new issues discovered today.

1 - auto door locking at x mph no longer works.
2 - multiple turn signal flashes are disabled. I.E. 5 flashes for one tap of turn signal does not work. Only a single flash for a single tap.

I contacted the seller and they responded immediately that they are looking into it.

I checked my car's coding, and the two features are definitely enabled, they are just not working. I assume this is due to some kind of interference with can bus messages from the easyguard system.

I have an 07 E90 335xi automatic and I was really disappointed the car does not have comfort access - you have to put the key in and the press "Push to start"... So annoying to add the extra step in. I'd rather have a turn key.

So I went to aliexpress to find an aftermarket passive keyless entry and remote start system. And stumbled upon the "plug and play" easyguard pke system to the bmw E90 and similar models.

I was not paid to write this review nor did I receive any discounts. I just want to let people know this product exists.

Overall review: 4 out of 5 stars from me. The kit is not "truly" plug and play. You have to splice into two wires behind the center console vents, and find a constant 12V source that does not sleep. I had to extend a couple of wires with my own copper wire I had laying around. Also, the directions are not very clear.

That being said, the kit does work as advertised, and now my car behaves better than OEM comfort access cars IMO.

Features include:
1 - two F10 style keys. Quality is like OEM.
2 - passive keyless entry - walk up to car and doors unlock. Walk away and doors lock.
3 - Remote start....
4 - You can drive the car with the key in your pocket.

I didn't take a lot of photos. The install is pretty difficult IMO. I dropped about 4 F bombs during the install. For reference, I installed a complete 3 way active stereo setup (wired separate tweeter wires to doors) in this car and only dropped 2 F bombs for that.

Important install notes for anyone considering installation:

1 - Look at the photo I provided for the correct central lock and hazards location. The one they provide is misleading (because there are two yellow/brown wires).
2 - You will need to extend central lock, hazard, and 12v wires.
3 - You might want to use a fuse wire tap - from your local auto parts store for the 12v.
4 - Make it easy on yourself, remove the radio mounting cage from the get-go. Makes wiring 10x easier - 4 T20 srews and 2 8 mm bolts.
5 - The two low frequency antennas can be 100% hidden. I put one behind my c pillar trim and the other is mounted to the windshield above rear view mirror, but is hidden under the roof liner...
6 - For left hand drive cars - I recommend mounting the brain to the left of where the clutch pedal would go. There is lots of factory wiring there and a decent amount of room.The sacrificed key I mounted below the steering column. I might try to find a better place later.

Other notes:

1. Yes, you do have to sacrifice an OEM key, but you get two nice new ones.

2. I think the f10 keyblade is slightly smaller than OEM, and I do not think you can get it cut to your key style. I have my old keyblade on my keychain while I test reliability for this thing.

3. You are mainly paying for their plug and play wiring harness. There kit is available universally for a little cheaper, but at ~ $280 USD shipped, I think this is worth is.

If you have other install/reliability questions, I will answer in my free time.
Just installed it this weekend, so I will let you know more as time goes on.

Photos include Install guide provided by seller and a few photos I took during my install process. Might help someone, might not...

Link to the exact one I purchased. I can remove if mods do not want product links. Not sure of rules for linking outside websites...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...3da24c4daEjCx7
Attached Images

Last edited by starfox5194; 08-18-2021 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Updates on potential issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
tolgabagin
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Are the vehicle's welcome lights working?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

This is really interesting and certainly cheaper than retrofitting comfort access! Does anyone else have any experience with this?

OP: what is the range of the remote? and is there a cellular add-on that enables remote starting from an app similar to dronemobile?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
starfox5194
Private
Rep

I can't comment too much on the range as I did not really put the antennas in the proper locations. It can reach about 100ft for remote start if you have good line of sight (Maybe a few cars in the way, but outside and pointing directly at the car with remote in hand) in my experience.

Generally I just use remote start when I'm in my home and my car is just about 30 feet from me... works fine through walls at that distance.

There are separate bluetooth and cellular addons:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c84440c2zQgmJk

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c84440c2pzaDXP

As for the welcome lights, yes, they do turn on when I approach the vehicle and the doors auto unlock. It's pretty cool.

The system has been really reliable honestly.

There are a couple of minor-ish issues.
Commonly - my auto-fold mirrors will not auto-unfold (happens 1/3 auto unlocks)
Commonly - When shutting off the vehicle, if you exit too quickly, the doors do not unlock and the module gets confused, so you have to lock and re-lock the doors to get doors to unlock from the outside. This might be fixable by coding, but it's rarely an issue for me and I don't feel like trouble-shooting.

rarely - 1/50-100 auto-unlocks, the car does not disarm, and I have to press the unlock button on the fob before I can press the push to start button.

So to be 100% transparent, the system is not 100% perfect all of the time. Some of the issues can probably be fixed by coding different options on the car. They don't really bother me that much though, and this thing is still way more convenient that pulling my key out of my pocket every time I want to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
infinite_creations25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Posting OPs answers to some of my questions that I sent via PM

1. Have you noticed any abnormal battery drain issues with this kit installed?
No. With covid, I sometimes only drive once every two weeks. Car starts up every time.

2. Does the normal comfort close/open of windows/sunroof functions work?
Yes, these work same as before. Long hold lock/unlock for comfort close and open.

3. Do the mirrors always auto fold when locking the car?
When auto-locking (proximity based), 9/10 times yes. If I physically press the lock button - always works.

4. Are there any error lights that show up on the gauge cluster?
When you enter/exit the car with door open, you will get the key in ignition chime. I coded this chime out, so there are no error messages for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
Krissdean
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi I’m just about to attempt this exact install.
Couple of questions if I may, does the start stop button still work?
And the antenna’s where did you install?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Krissdean
Rep
Drives: E90

I can’t seem to find the CAS? The guide says under the seat, but mine doesn’t have it there?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:24 PM   #8
starfox5194
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissdean View Post
Hi I’m just about to attempt this exact install.
Couple of questions if I may, does the start stop button still work?
And the antenna’s where did you install?
Start/stop button works as expected.

Antennas - Single antenna (I think hi frequency) I put beneath HVAC controls. The pair of antennas - 1 was on the rear windshield by the c pillar. The other was in the top center of the windshield.

Your next post asked where to plug in for the CAS - You want to plug in to the module beneath the driver seat (for LHD USA Cars).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #9
Jimmmmmmah!!!
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

starfox5194 I know this thread is a few years old but it’s very helpful for anyone who wanted to go down this route. I actually took it one set further to prevent the keyfob from running out of power. I purchased a 12v to 3v adapter and soldered it directly to the keyfob. I then wired it directly to the 12v and ground of the keyless system. Now it will never run of power to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 11:06 PM   #10
dawebbreb
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

Question for those who have done the install:

The yellow/brown wire in the OP picture goes with the white wire labeled "lock"?

And the blue/brown wire right next to it is the hazards that goes with the brown wire labeled "emergency light"?

I was under the assumption that the unit was getting power from the harness under the seat, do we have connect the 12v to the fuse box?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #11
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox5194 View Post
UPDATE 3:

It's been about 9 months since I installed this kit.
Overall, I am still happy with it, but there are a few quirks.

1 - sometimes when trying to get to ACC/ON position by pressing the start/stop button twice, the car gets confused and I need to lock/unlock the car and try again.
2 - When the battery in the fob dies, the car does not start, but the doors will lock/unlock. If you are having issues with the car starting(intermittently), your fob's battery is probably dying.
3 - To unlock the doors after the auto-lock, you need to press the lock button first, then the unlock button.

In summary, it has some small issues, but to me the tradeoffs are worth it.

UPDATE 2:

The issues have been resolved. My settings must have been reset when I unplugged power to the module under the seat during the easyguard installation - or maybe when I started messing with the fuse box....
Anyways, after re-coding the flashes and door locking using carly, there was not change, the features did not work. Later on, I discovered that the features much be enabled in the OBC using the turn signal stalk when the car is in accessory mode. Mymatevince has a good youtube video on how to re-enable the triple blink feature.
My mirrors also had their position reset, but again, that was most likely due to unplugging the module.

After testing reliability for a few days, I have not once had an issue with the PKE functionality - I have tried sneaking up on the car from weird angle, running towards the car, etc. It unlocks at what feels like the perfect distance away every time!

So far, [...]
Hey great stuff! I’m looking to buy this for my e90 2007. How’s the system holding up for you??
Appreciate 0