E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Strut Replacement

04-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
Etwan
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Front Strut Replacement

I'm planning on replacing my front Struts with some Koni Special Actives. Wondering what extras I should buy, such as new Strut mounts, hardware, etc. if anyone has a shopping list or know if a thread with everything I should get thanks be much appreciated

BMW 2008 335i E90
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Upper strut mount.

Strut rod bushings (or the entire control arm if you don't have a press)

Rent this spring compressor from autozone. It's a nice piece of hardware.
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...sor/537058_0_0
      04-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etwan View Post
I'm planning on replacing my front Struts with some Koni Special Actives. Wondering what extras I should buy, such as new Strut mounts, hardware, etc. if anyone has a shopping list or know if a thread with everything I should get thanks be much appreciated

BMW 2008 335i E90
Definitely get new strut mounts. Not sure exactly about the Koni struts specifically but I assume they don't include bump stops. If true, make sure you order the correct ones (standard vs sport suspesion - they're different lengths) along with new dust boots.

You could replace the upper and lower rubber spring shims if you want, but in my experience they seem to hold up fairly well. I reused mine when I replaced the 230K mile original suspension on one of my E90s.

The concave washer and the spring seat can be reused since they don't usually wear out or fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
Upper strut mount.

Not sure what you mean by strut rod bushings, and I'm not sure what you mean about replacing the control arm. New control arms are always good but not necessary unless the bushings are shot - either way the struts could be replaced independently of the control arms.

Excellent suggestion on that spring compressor. I tried it with the two threaded rods and it was a pain. I had to borrow a second set and use three of them, which was still difficult. The one you linked above is great and would make the job much easier. However, next time I replace struts on any vehicle I'm taking them to a shop with the wall or bench-mounted compressor and paying to have them assembled.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Brian86
Captain
Rep

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0740

#8 is the strut rod

#9 is the big hydraulic bushing.

Can be replaced independently of the struts.. but while you're in there.
      04-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0740

#8 is the strut rod

#9 is the big hydraulic bushing.

Can be replaced independently of the struts.. but while you're in there.
Ah that thing. Strut rod, tension strut, thrust arm, etc. You threw me off mentioning a "strut rod bushing" in the context of replacing struts. But yea, while you're in there...

I strongly recommend replacing the entire arm. Well worth the minor additional cost to save on labor, unless you have easy access to a press. I replaced mine a few months ago and went with the M3 arms for the benefit of the solid bushing. They were slightly cheaper than the non-M arms too.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #6
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Upper strut mount.

The strut and the tension strut/thrust arm don't really have anything to do with each other when it comes to the installation. The only steps you're saving by doing the tension strut at the same time as the strut/damper is lifting the car and taking the wheel off. It's like getting your wisdom teeth out and saying that maybe you ought to get a nose job too, you know, while you're having surgery and all.

I mean, sure, swap the tension struts if they're worn, but there's really no need to replace them unless they're leaking.

Last edited by rothwem; 04-13-2021 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
Brian86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
I mean, sure, swap the tension struts if they're worn, but there's really no need to replace them unless they're leaking.
He is right about that. I pressed new ones in at 280k miles. Really it was just on the list of things I 'expected' to be worn out on a car I had recently purchased.

Once I got the arms out and tinkered around, I think they were perfectly fine .I put the new ones in anyway since I was 80% of the way there.

I've kinda stopped fixing stuff that isn't broken on my wagon because of that expectation the BMW parts are worn out. The e9x seems to be light years more robust than some of the older BMWs I've had.

Regardless, ya definitely want to put upper strut and shock mounts on 'while you're in there' doing the struts.