E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 318i cyl 3 misfire

05-14-2024, 02:06 PM   #1
Ambiorix
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 318i

318i cyl 3 misfire

Good evening,

I've recently ran into some issues with the bmw, it started with 6 fault codes (oh yeah here we go).

0029CC : Combustion Misfires, several cylinders.
0029CE : Combustion Misfires, Cylinder 2.
0029CF : Combustion Misfires, Cylinder 3.
002CF9 : Throttle-Valve potentiometer 1.
002CFA : Throttle-Valve potentiometer 2.
002D09 : Throttle Valve.

I started by doing the adaptations for the Throttle valve which solved every code besides the misfire on cylinder 3.

The misfire does make it shake quite a bit (more than im used to on my previous cars).

Since that sadly didn't fix it i started swapping injectors, coils and spark plugs, sadly with no succes.
I've also gone around to clean the MAF sensor, the camshaft position sensors, once again no succes.
That's when we toke off the intake and cleaned the intake housing itself and the valves using a valve cleaner.
I re-used the current crankshaft sensor but we did give it a gentle clean using a contact cleaner.

That also didn't fix it, that's when i gave relearning all adaptations a try but once again no succes.

With every step that I've made where sensors were cleaned it does seem to help slightly but the misfire does keep returning and currently i'm not sure where to go next.

I've read about swapping the intake and exhaust vanos solenoids but i'm unsure if that will give the result i'm looking for.

I hope that someone is able to help me out!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 05:21 PM   #2
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

How rough does it run? And how much louder is the engine?

"More than you're used to, but drives fine" or "I'm afraid to drive the engine is going to blow up if I drive faster than than 30km/h ?"

Next steps might be a compression test and/or a borescope exam of the cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:26 AM   #3
Ambiorix
Registered
Rep

At idle its quite rough, it shakes a bit and also makes the whole car itself vibrate/shake (as expected), the noise isn't that bad in my opinion it just sounds rough.

I've done a borescope exam of the cylinder and it seems to be in a very good state but that doesn't say anything.

I've ordered a compression test kit and i'll see if that value is within specs!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 08:49 AM   #4
Ambiorix
Registered
Rep

Sadly, cilinder 3 makes around a solid 20psi.

Meanwhile the rest is on 210psi.

We did come across some random pieces of junk (no clue what it was) in the intake valve so i'm betting the valves or a piece of the valve train around there is completely messed up.

If anyone has any idea or tips of where to start or look next let me know!
Appreciate 0